God-O-Meter

God-O-Meter

Dobson Backs McCain/Palin

posted by dgilgoff

dobson2.jpgFocus on the Family Action sent this around to supporters just before last night’s Palin’s speech:

Dr. Dobson: ‘If I Went into the Polling Booth Today, I Would Pull the Lever for John McCain’
….”A genuine reformer. A deeply committed Christian.”
That’s how Dr. James Dobson, founder and chairman of Focus on the Family Action, described Gov. Sarah Palin, who joined Sen. John McCain’s presidential ticket Friday.
On a special Focus Action radio broadcast, Dr. Dobson said Palin has helped change his mind on McCain.
“If I went into the polling booth today, I would pull the lever for John McCain,” he said.
Dr. Dobson applauded the Republican Party’s strong platform plank against destructive embryonic stem-cell research, which uses much stronger language than in years past.
The broadcast also featured Gary Bauer, Tony Perkins, Kelly Shackelford and Tom Minnery, who expressed unanimous support for McCain and Palin.
“I don’t remember this kind of electric moment since I went to the inauguration of Ronald Reagan,” Dr. Dobson said.
Palin will speak at the Republican National Convention tonight at 10:30 EDT / 7:30 PDT. Most networks are expected to carry the speech live.
Next weekend, the action moves to Washington, D.C., for the annual Values Voters Summit. Confirmed speakers include Newt Gingrich, Lou Dobbs, Star Parker, Phyllis Schlafly, Bill Bennett, Chuck Colson and many more.
Palin and McCain have been invited to speak, as has Sen. Barack Obama

A remarkable turnaround from January 2007, when Dobson said: “I would not vote for John McCain under any circumstances.”

Scruffy.

posted September 4, 2008 at 11:23 am

What a suprise! Dobson supports the rights of the unborn over the rights of the living.

Lucia

posted September 4, 2008 at 6:59 pm

IS GOD IS PRO-CHOICE?
The faith of the Religious Right is futile: easily poured out, hence untrustworthy, worthless, useless, ineffectual, vain… If GOD, who is GOD, can give us the CHOICE to learn from our mistakes, who are these religious self-appointed gods (?); these self-righteous people to think they can legislate “No Choice” under the guise “Pro-Life” and then think that GOD is smiling down on them? If GOD gave Adam and Eve a choice between the “Tree of Life” and the “Tree of Good and Evil”, and HE is the same yesterday, today and forever, then what does that mean for us today? Without a Choice GOD has no Voice. The real GOD has a backup plan called SALVATION and isn’t stressing over it, and doesn’t need “Mc Minion’s” and “Hockey Puck Palin’s” help executing it. And did anyone catch the latest “Freudian Slip” when Palin said, “I GOD Bless America” at the end of her acceptance speech. She and Mc Minion should REPENT for all of the above. and “Get on The Love Train(!)…
The next stop that we make will be England, tell all the folks in Russia, and China, too… “Cause if you miss it, I feel SORRY, SORRY for you. Well, People all over the world (Sisters and brothers) Join hands (join, come on)”
Former Registered Republican Alternate Delegates
M. and L. Miller

Daniel Lawrence

posted September 4, 2008 at 11:38 pm

As a christian I am appalled by James Dobson and the so-called Christian right. I am not pro-abortion but I do not believe morality can be legislated. Jesus Christ came to earth to free people from legislative morality from the so-called religious leaders of that time who held people to standards that they themselves could not maintain. He told them that they make people into “two-times the children of hell that they are.” He called them”white-washed graves.” I am tired of social programs being cut for poor people, education out of reach for less fortunate people, and political idealogs dividing this country over issues like gay marriage which end up putting the faithful in the position of denying human and civil rights to other humans because of a few references to it being unnatural in the Bible. You know God’s mind? He comes and speaks to James Dobson? I am sure that is not the case. In case you don’t get my point, you are the Pharisee in this scenario.

Enock

posted September 5, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Enock

posted September 6, 2008 at 12:00 am

Is pro life the only thing that Republican Evangelicals look up for? I believe they so care strongly about the forgotten middle class. The evangelicals should be ashamed of Sahara Palin bashing Obama’s community organization he did in Chicago. I know God will be proud of him. Are they REAL evangelicals or Politicians. My God wants us to be truthful to one another and to the broken middle class. I believe GOD would be happy about what he did in Chicago.

BJ in NC

posted September 6, 2008 at 11:09 am

Isn’t he the same one who prayed for a rainstorm of great proportions to fall on Obama’s acceptance speech? Did he read the quote from GOD in the Bible “DEPART FROM ME, I KNOW YOU NOT”?

Amy

posted September 6, 2008 at 3:04 pm

As a born again Christian, I am so outraged at Right wing Evangelicals. They preach hate but yet Jesus is Love. They are false and hyprocrites. I cannot wait till judgement day when God will judge how these people really lived their lives. They are extremists and extremists groups should not be involved in politics or voting. If anyone watched the RNC, the take away from that convention was hate and fear. There was not one positive message in there but yet they call themselves christians?
Also how can you be pro-life but yet pro-guns and death penalty? I have never understood this hypocrisy.

ELizabeth

posted September 6, 2008 at 11:54 pm

I am priviledge to be a part of the family of God, but please do not mistake Christianity with Republicans like Dr. Dobson. You see, they have a “on demand” God.
They forgot that King David, was a shepherd boy; Moses, was the son of slave; Joshua, was a slave; Joseph, was a slave; the 12 disciples were common every day men, and Jesus was carpenter.
Although Rome was a brutal dictator, Jesus treated everyone including the Roamns with dignity and respect, something the Republican Party have forgotten about.
Somewhere along the line the majority of white Evangelicals have sold themselves to the Republican Party. They show the world last week at the convention, and I mean the world was watching- over 38 million

A Canadian

posted September 8, 2008 at 12:21 am

I was lucky enough to listen to Dr Dobson speak in Medicine Hat, AB many years ago & I respect him. His endorsement of McCain & especially Sarah Palin sways my vote. Americans don’t want to know the truth about their country & they believe Obama means more freebies.

Branson Hunter

posted September 29, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Your list of candidates, top RHS of your home page, fails to list Gov. S. Palin. If you can’t update once in a while, why should I visit this site?

Closed for the Season
With Election Day finally having come and gone, God-o-Meter is closing up shop till 2012--or at least 2010. Till then, get your faith and politics fix over at Beliefnet editor-in-chief Steve Waldman's blog. 7

posted 4:32:33pm Nov. 19, 2008 | read full post »

On The Religious Left, Great Expectations
The first priorities for Barack Obama's administration will be the economy and a variety of foreign policy issues. But the burgeoning religious left, which worked so hard to get Obama elected, expects some movement on its issues, including a robust White House office of faith-based initiatives, pove

posted 1:49:31pm Nov. 07, 2008 | read full post »

Howard Dean's Vindication
God-o-Meter wrote a piece for today's Roll Call on the vindication of Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean's much-derided 50-State Strategy, which is largely about reaching out to the nation's more religious voters in the red states: Years before Barack Obama showed that a liberal Demo

posted 2:01:06pm Nov. 06, 2008 | read full post »

A Post-Election Chat with Ralph Reed
Amid today's talk that Barack Obama has narrowed the God Gap, God-o-Meter checked in with Ralph Reed, who spearheaded religious outreach for George W. Bush's 2000 and 2004 campaigns and who pioneered such outreach for Republicans as executive director of the Christian Coalition. What surprised you i

posted 3:09:07pm Nov. 05, 2008 | read full post »

More Innacurate Faith Storylines From the Media
God-o-Meter is struck by the number of faith-based storylines the news media appear to have gotten dead wrong this year. One was the line that Obama was poised to make big gains among white votes, especially evangelicals, who were undergoing a generational shift in their political thinking and reexa

posted 11:53:20am Nov. 05, 2008 | read full post »