Fresh Living

Fresh Living

Redefining ‘Cancer Survival Rates’

posted by hrossi

rosie-the-riveter.jpg“Stage 4 breast cancer” might be among the most terrifying four words a woman can ever hear.  The average life expectancy for a woman with that diagnosis is 30 months.  But Katherine Russell Rich has lived with it for 17 years.

This week, she wrote a moving essay for The New York Times (click here to read the whole thing) about being a minority survivor–only 2 percent of stage 4 breast cancer patients become long-term survivors–and discovering the power and possibility of hope.  Her words are inspirational to anyone who is trying to redefine themselves, rewriting the narrative of a diagnosis, an emotional pattern, or even a relationship.

She writes about how she reached out on a website to connect with other survivors and find joy  and peace within the unknown terrain of survival:

“On the website, I tell the women how deeply I believe there’s no such
thing as false hope: all hope is valid, even for people like us, even
when hope would no longer appear to be sensible.

Life itself isn’t sensible, I say. No one can say with ultimate
authority what will happen — with cancer, with a job that appears shaky,
with all reversed fortunes — so you may as well seize all glimmers that
appear.

I write to them (to myself) that of course this is tough: the waiting to
see if the shadows are multiplying, the physical pain, the bouts with
terrible blackness.

“But there can be joy in this life, too,” I say, “and that’s so
important to remember. This disease does not invalidate us. This past
year, I’ve had the joy of falling in love with my sister’s kids, who
live states away and whom I hadn’t had the chance to know. I’ve had a
second book come out, one I worked on for eight years, about going to
live in India with Stage 4 cancer. I’ve had so many moments of joy this
year, but when I’m in blackness, I forget about those.” Then I ask them
to write and tell me about theirs, and lights begin to flash.”

(image via: http://beautifulwreck1.wordpress.com)

Like what you see? Click here to subscribe
and get Fresh Living in your in-box every day.

Lori

posted April 28, 2010 at 11:59 am

Thanks for this, Holly. I posted something on FB about it, but I’m so glad you’re getting it out to the wider blogosphere! It’s all about hope and BELIEF!
Always hope,
Lori

food weight loss

posted July 1, 2010 at 10:10 am

Us Education,moment despite ought request analysis commercial ministry love take do easily television transport better nuclear existing crowd mainly wonderful reaction domestic letter lift outside step name other use problem wonder rise sequence stock sequence member such flat obvious finally count attach ensure convention cover drive candidate leave well contribution class debt manage fly holiday exchange teacher future area grow include intend politics joint draw fresh grant however clear above item complex protection liberal blood your mark behaviour go show culture answer result liberal demand island single admit complete define green some prime available

images for apartment from the web

posted September 3, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Hi Homie
Very good video Lisa.
Yours Sincerly

more from batteries1 net

posted September 3, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Greetings
Very good video Lisa.
L8er

colon cleansing program

posted September 4, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Me look forward to reading more from you. Have a impressive week.
Do you do blogroll exchanging?
Cu Later

best anonymous email service

posted September 6, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Me am loving your posts. Found you on Twitter.

city of oakland park fl

posted September 13, 2010 at 6:56 pm

How can start this work please tell me

actor surya web site

posted September 13, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I find it to be great
Please email me if you are interested

google money converter

posted September 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Nice writing style.
I a blog owner too.
Buh Bye

ways to make money

posted September 13, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Very good video Lisa.

work from home ideas

posted September 13, 2010 at 7:23 pm

i want to thank the blogger very much not only for this post but also for his all previous efforts. I found your site to be very interesting. I will be coming back to site for more information.
Cu Later

off deliver

posted September 15, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Welcome
Wow! thanks! Me always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can Me take part of your post to my blog?
yours truly have a website aswell.
Cu Later

working home typing

posted September 15, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Your article has added nice value to your site. you say this because to me personally you find it nice. Maybe to some one else its not but to me you did nice. thx for the info.
Goodbye

online business opportunities reviews

posted September 15, 2010 at 9:12 pm

my homie like your site and wanted to know if you would be interested in exchanging blogroll links. thank you very much in advance
Good Bye

top safe

posted September 15, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Have you considered writing professionally? Like a periodical or something?
Anyway, yours truly felt it was about time yours truly posted
Yours Sincerly

work at home jobs

posted September 15, 2010 at 9:14 pm

How can start this work please tell me

make money at home on your computer

posted September 15, 2010 at 9:16 pm

myself finally decided to write a comment on your blog. myself just wanted to say good job. myself really liked reading your posts.
Bye Bye

colon cleanse pills

posted October 7, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Yo Bro
That was INTENSE. My bro really want to read this book now!

Fare Well, Live Fresh...and Thanks
This is the post in which we say goodbye.  We're both leaving our respective jobs at Beliefnet, and so it's time to step away from the blog.So, this is the post in which we say goodbye...by saying thank you.  Thank you to you, the readers, for clicking and visiting and sharing the myriad w

posted 12:00:45pm Jul. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Waking Up to Your Dreams (by Wendy Schuman)
Are you a frustrated dreamer? I know I am. I often wake up with fragments of scenes echoing in my mind that seem really meaningful--but then I leap out of bed, start my morning routine, and in seconds they're gone. I want to linger in that realm and tap into the guidance and insight rising from a wi

posted 2:21:32pm Jun. 24, 2010 | read full post »

Prayer for the Gulf from the 13 Grandmothers
Because I lack an engineering degree and don't understand why we can't just stop this thing NOW with a 10-ton wad of gum or giant boulder or massive Q-tip, I'll share more spiritual wisdom from elders. This is from the beautiful, amazing International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers--they each

posted 10:52:38am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

Fresh Morning: Worry Away the Worry
"Worry is a prayer for something you don't want." - Sharon Gannon I love that. The other day someone expressed concern about my excessive worrying habit, and I've been contemplating on it ever since. Doing my best to actually contemplate, rather than worry. I've been on a renewed Gilmore G

posted 9:14:40am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

How Did You (or a Loved One) Heal from Cancer?
In addition to co-writing this blog and working at Beliefnet full-time, I'm writing a book. It's about how I got through cancer five years ago with a combination of heavy-duty Western meds and all I knew from my personal and journalistic experience of yoga, meditation, non-religious spirituality, an

posted 3:08:46pm Jun. 18, 2010 | read full post »