Fresh Living

Fresh Living

Natural Swine Flu Prevention: 2 Techniques

posted by hrossi

BoilingWater.jpgSwine flu prevention is about two things, really–smart practices that don’t put flu germs and your mucous membranes in the same place at the same time, and keeping your immune system strong enough to fight off any bugs that might sneak in the door.

For the former, why not visit our gallery of 10 swine flu prevention tips?  Even if you think you’re the captain of Team Prevention, it’s worth checking in with what the experts recommend to keep you well.

For the latter problem–fighting off the flu, or even a cold, at its first signs–I just ran across two natural techniques from the doctors at ChicagoHealers.com.  They both involve warmth, hydration, and highly potent and detoxifying foods and supplements.  Worth a try, no?  Please feel free to add your home flu remedies to these two goodies:

Scallion and Ginger Tonic (a full-body detoxifier as well as immune system booster)

Combine 1 bunch of chopped scallions, 6 coin size
slivers of fresh ginger, Shoyu (quality soy sauce) and 4 cups of water in a
sauce pan and bring to boil.

Lower to a simmer and reduce by half so you are left
with two cups.

Drink both cups while hot.

Soak in a very warm bath.

Get out and wear sweatshirt and sweat-pants to
bed.

Hot Water Bath (helpful to knock out both colds and flu)

Take 1000 milligrams of Vitamin C with 8 ounces of
water.

Fill a tub with very hot water, as hot as your feet and
legs can stand, and sit on edge of tub with feet and legs in water.

Wrap a blanket around you until you sweat.

Add more hot water as it begins to cool, and sit at
least 20-30 minutes.

Of course, if you have any health condition you think would make this potentially unsafe for you, please consult your doctor before you try it.  And fingers crossed that your prevention regimen will keep you from having to deal with any actual colds or flu this season!

For more on swine flu and cold season:

Has Swine Flu Changed Your Habits?

The H1N1 Vaccine: Yes or No?

Sleep More, Catch a Cold Less?

Swine Flu: How Sick Are You?

Natural Remedies for the Common Cold

Like what you see? Click here to subscribe and get Fresh Living in your in-box every day!

Gwendolyn

posted November 2, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Ok–I am still not a fan of the vaccine–as I stated in an earlier comment–my daughters doctor who is also diabetic as is my 18 year old daughter–does not recommend it–and last years vaccine did not even cover the flu that was prevalent–now it has been given to millions already say some and they are fine–are they? Is that how we test–we give it to millions and if there is not a significant number of documented accounts of problems then we deem it safe–what about long term–and it is easier to treat whooping cough than it is any spectrum of autism- when it is your kid–then the risk is 100%–I remember hearing the doctor when my son was 2 months old–it would be much worse for him to get whooping cough–would it be–thats treatable–what about the PDD and Aspergers he has??? Its ok he is 25 now and working and reasonably happy—yes I know these are two different vaccine issues but if the mercury is even a possibile threat–then remove it altogether—autism is on the rise and so is alzheimers–ever wonder why–give food coloring a rest–think!!!!!

Lisa

posted November 2, 2009 at 7:00 pm

My holistic doctor recommended 20,000 IUs of Vitamin D3 when feeling bad and having all the flu symptoms. Up to 4 times per day (~every 4 awake hours). I had swine flue and was down only about a day and a half…maybe it was the high dose of Vit. D.

myrtille

posted November 3, 2009 at 1:11 am

I have read the full description of several outbreaks which disturbs the routine life for the several persons.The proper awareness will be taken to avoid the cases of swine flu and. The proper treatments are available for the life of human beings,so can survive the illness of the spreading flu.

Kathy

posted November 3, 2009 at 7:24 am

For what it’s worth, here’s a flu prevention/treatment technique taught to me by my Young Living representative, who is also a medical intuitive. You put these essential oils in a capsule, and take up to four times a day: 6 drops thieves oil, 4 drops oregano oil, 4 drops mountain savory oil and 2 drops hyssop oil. No, I haven’t tried it yet but I make my own thieves spray and am generous about spraying it around my house and on my hair/back of the neck when I feel something coming on.

royal

posted November 4, 2009 at 5:32 am

to every ones health , i got into this thing called colloidial silver , witch by the way was taKEN OFF THE MARKET IN THE 1930′S PHARMASUDICAL BE CAME THE QUICK FIX,well i thought so too but iam older and wiser,their quick fix is just for the rich to get richer ,and by no means fixes anything.so i ran into an old friend that taught me how to make the silver ,quote i’am not blue,i have benn makeing it for 5 years and i drink a shot glass every day, or clean my sinuses with it my ears,my teeth,.burns, scraches, ect… god made silver man made pills and whhat ever, who do u trust.i use it on my plants and my pets i have not benn ill in no way shape or form for 5 years now , nope no even a sore throath.be fore silver came into my life i use to get phnemonia,twice a year ,viruses and flues.ect…now iam a happy healthy person look it up on your computer it actualy kills every germ and bacteria morre than antibotics.my goodness look it up and u be the judge. read all u can and discard the blue man its a hoaks frommm guess who pharm. so u do not get well . it cures every thing and any thing. good luck and good helth to all.

Geoff

posted November 9, 2009 at 9:54 pm

“The boogeyman will get you!” parents sometimes tell misbehaving children. With about 40% of parents saying “no!” to vaccinating their kids for swine flu, apparently health officials think turnabout is fair play. And the media seem happy to help.
You see it in such headlines as “CDC Shocker: Swine Flu Killing Young People at Record Rate!” And in lines of panicked parents queued outside vaccine clinics like fans trying to score tickets to a Paul McCartney concert. And in schools closing willy-nilly, which could cost the nation tens of billions, according to a recent Brookings Institute study.
Which is so sad, because this boogeyman is not much more substantial than the legendary one. And adding the proverbial insult to injury, parents are told they must get their children vaccines that–because of the shortage and despite Obama administration promises–they can’t get.
As told, the tale does sound scary. Almost a quarter of deaths from swine flu since Sept. 1 have occurred “in young people under the age of 25,” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) official Anne Schuchat declared at a press conference. Among cases of seasonal flu, those over 65 account for about 90% of deaths.
What Schuchat didn’t say is that, as tragic as any child’s death always is, in this case they merely represent a disproportionately larger slice of a very small pie. Very few people are dying of swine flu in any age category. Put another way, it’s not that younger people are being slammed but that older ones are catching a break.
Hence among 65,000 college students afflicted with CDC-defined “flu-like illness” seriously enough to seek medical help, according to an American College Health Association running survey, there have been only 123 hospitalizations and zero deaths. That in turn reflects swine flu as a whole, which in the seven months since the outbreak began has apparently killed fewer Americans than normally die every two weeks from “ordinary” flu during the season.
But the CDC claims to have scary numbers as well as percentages, with 85 attributed swine flu fatalities under age 18 in the last two months, as of Oct. 30. By comparison, in the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons there were 78 and 88 such deaths reported, respectively. Although it appears the epidemic has peaked, attributed child swine flu fatalities this season will eclipse them. But it probably won’t mean much according to James Chin, a professor at the University of California, Berkeley, and former World Health Organization epidemiologist.
That’s because, he says, the deaths attributed to swine flu both now and in the future will reflect the rule that “the more you look, the more you find.”
Understand first that neither the seasonal nor the swine flu death figures are supposed to represent total numbers, but rather what the CDC surveillance system nets. Causes of death are determined not by computers but by human beings who are sensitive to what Chin calls “media hype.”
True, to be labeled a swine flu fatality you have to have the virus. But after that it gets tricky. According to the CDC, “Many millions” of Americans have been symptomatic with swine flu and, therefore, says Chin, many people “will be dying of any number of things but just happen to be infected.”
The CDC says about 30% of the cases classified as swine flu fatalities had chronic medical conditions such as asthma, cerebral palsy, and muscular dystrophy. These could be contributing causes, but they can also kill on their own. The more swine flu is in the news, the more likely it will be listed as the primary cause of death.
Such a phenomenon, Chin says, occurred during the early 1980s media blitz over the tampon-related “toxic shock syndrome epidemic.” According to Chin, “Every time there was a headline, toxic shock cases shot up. It turns out it was occurring in small numbers. It was blown out of proportion.” A later CDC analysis showed that through 1986 fewer than 200 women died, including those who never used tampons.
Chin says a bonafide apples-to-apples comparison might still show swine flu claiming more children’s lives than does seasonal flu typically, but based on his observations “It still can’t be that much more severe.”
It’s also necessary to view childhood flu deaths in perspective to all childhood deaths.
Annually, about 50,000 Americans perish before their 18th year. Unintentional injuries alone kill about 5,000 children below age 15, according to the National Safety Council. Of these, 1,100 are drownings and an additional 600 are from suffocation. These occur each year and yet could be prevented without quarantining Johnny or Jane at the South Pole.
Specifically regarding infectious diseases, there are probably few Americans who fear methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA–indeed many probably haven’t heard of it. Yet each year it kills about 19,000 Americans, including an estimated 150 below the age of 18.
It’s sad that public health officials seem to believe that getting people to do “the right thing” requires presenting a modern version of the Slaughter of the Innocents. It’s also ironic in that surely some vaccination antipathy reflects the constant cries of “Wolf!” since the swine flu outbreak began.
There was the first declaration of a public health emergency in late April, with almost no U.S. deaths at the time. Then came the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology “plausible scenario” of 30,000 to 90,000 deaths with a “mid-October” peak. It came up rather short–though the latest CDC weekly FluView report may indeed indicate the peak of hospitalizations and deaths came in mid-October.
For that matter, consider five years of scary promulgations and headlines about avian flu such as “Flu Pandemic Could Kill 150 Million, U.N. Warns.” Remember avian flu?
It’s folly to think you can solve a problem caused partly by crying wolf simply by crying wolf even louder. That just squanders the credibility among public health officials–credibility which should be their most precious asset.
Michael Fumento is director of the nonprofit Independent Journalism Project where he specializes in health and science issue. He may be reached at Fumento@pobox.com.

Fred

posted November 29, 2009 at 6:02 pm

My neighbor bought this product online that helps him keep his coughs and sneezes to himself! I asked for more info because I wanted to check it out myself. They told me about a website – coughsecure.com. I checked it out. I may get one. It looks like it really works and it is less expensive than I thought it would be. Have you heard of it?

herbal remedies

posted March 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Dreamin. I love blogging. You all express your feelings the right way, because they are your feeling, focus on your blog it is great.

Fare Well, Live Fresh...and Thanks
This is the post in which we say goodbye.  We're both leaving our respective jobs at Beliefnet, and so it's time to step away from the blog.So, this is the post in which we say goodbye...by saying thank you.  Thank you to you, the readers, for clicking and visiting and sharing the myriad w

posted 12:00:45pm Jul. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Waking Up to Your Dreams (by Wendy Schuman)
Are you a frustrated dreamer? I know I am. I often wake up with fragments of scenes echoing in my mind that seem really meaningful--but then I leap out of bed, start my morning routine, and in seconds they're gone. I want to linger in that realm and tap into the guidance and insight rising from a wi

posted 2:21:32pm Jun. 24, 2010 | read full post »

Prayer for the Gulf from the 13 Grandmothers
Because I lack an engineering degree and don't understand why we can't just stop this thing NOW with a 10-ton wad of gum or giant boulder or massive Q-tip, I'll share more spiritual wisdom from elders. This is from the beautiful, amazing International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers--they each

posted 10:52:38am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

Fresh Morning: Worry Away the Worry
"Worry is a prayer for something you don't want." - Sharon Gannon I love that. The other day someone expressed concern about my excessive worrying habit, and I've been contemplating on it ever since. Doing my best to actually contemplate, rather than worry. I've been on a renewed Gilmore G

posted 9:14:40am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

How Did You (or a Loved One) Heal from Cancer?
In addition to co-writing this blog and working at Beliefnet full-time, I'm writing a book. It's about how I got through cancer five years ago with a combination of heavy-duty Western meds and all I knew from my personal and journalistic experience of yoga, meditation, non-religious spirituality, an

posted 3:08:46pm Jun. 18, 2010 | read full post »