Fresh Living

Fresh Living

SIGG Bottles and BPA

posted by vreiss

Thumbnail image for sigg.jpgSigh. A while ago, my friend Jenn from the Tiny Choices blog expressed skeptism that SIGG bottles were all that safe, preferring to sip from glass or stainless steel. But I was like, “Oy, really? Another thing to worry about? But my SIGG is so pretty!” She said that SIGGs have a lining to keep the aluminum from leaching and that the Swiss company refused to tell anyone what was in it, calling the info “proprietary.”

And now, turns out, until last August those linings had trace amounts of Bisphenol A in them, a hormone-disrupting ingredient in a lot of plastic. The very chemical we all dropped Nalgene for SIGG in trying to avoid. In public statements and interviews, including one with the Calgary Herald, SIGG copped to the ingredient. The company sounds especially hair-splitting and lame, with CEO Steve Wasik writing: “The primary reason that I am writing this letter today [i.e., fessing up to the BPA] is because I believe that the BPA conversation has changed dramatically in the last 12 months. Last year, the primary concern was that of BPA leaching from bottles. Since that time, the dialogue has evolved such that now some people are concerned about the mere presence of BPA.”

Um, what? What conversation was that, exactly? Was it the one in which you successfully begged an environmental group to be removed from the BPA-containing list, knowing full well the “mere presence” was in the epoxy coating of all your bottles? Or the one where you knew that your brand was built on being a safer alternative to Nalgene (which has since removed BPA from its products) and willfully withheld info to the contrary?

Well, SIGG did fess up and gets points for that (but am I uber-cynical to question their motives for doing so? Were they about to be outed anyway?) and yesterday they stopped shipping bottles with BPA lining. They’re also offering a free exchange to anyone who mails in their old bottles. (Fascinated to see how those logistics will work!) And those evolved Canadians, who have a ban on BPA-containing products for infants, are already yanking the bottles from the shelves–Canadian Whole Foods is offering a full refund on returned SIGGs.

By many accounts and tests those old SIGGs are perfectly safe. They do have BPA, but they have not been found to leach. Plenty of us will keep swilling from SIGGs and be just fine. Treehugger.com has a survey, Are You Throwing Out Your SIGG?

If you’re not a bottle geek this may sound like a bunch of eco hand-wringing. But research on BPA is well-documented and pretty conclusive. If the stuff is leaching, it’s toxic–correlating to everything from breast cancer to ovarian problems to neurological issues. And yet, it’s still perfectly legal in this country–though legislation is pending in many states, especially regarding the chemical in products for babies (sippy cups and the like), who are especially susceptible. Here’s some more info on the BPA issue: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/fda-not-listening-on-bpa.php

My feeling is if we know something isn’t safe–even the FDA made suggestions for how we can lower our exposure–why eat or drink it? Since there are enough things that are question marks in terms of disease, why not at least take a step away from the known hazards? The FDA suggests avoiding plastics with the number 7 stamped on the bottom–many of them contain BPA–and unlike SIGGs, do leach, sometimes significantly. And most definitely do not microwave such plastics, which causes them to leach. As for bottles, stainless steel requires no lining, does not leach anything, and is the wave of the future. Seems like the safest non-breakable choice we’ve got.

Here are some pretty stainless steel bottles: http://www.reusablebags.com/store/earthlust-c-63.html

If you’re concerned, or just annoyed, here’s an FAQ snippet from Reusablebags.com, a company that sells SIGGs, on what to do with your old SIGG:

“I’ve read the test results and safety information posted here an on SIGG’s website and I still want to return my bottle with the former lining – what do I do?
While the former liner has been tested to be non-leaching, we understand that some people may still wish to return their bottles. Please compare your bottle to these photos to determine which liner you have. If you wish to return a bottle with the former liner, contact SIGG’s customer service at info@mysigg.com.”

Thoughts? What do you drink from?

[image via: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/found+supposedly+safe+Swiss+water+bottles/1928843/story.html]

Jennifer Morris

posted August 27, 2009 at 1:50 pm

One issue with all of this discussion around BPA and safety – bottles made from HDPE#2 do not have BPA and never have. It is the plastic that they use for your milk jugs which have obviously been tested numerous times. Furthermore, it is the most recyclable material and best of all – inexpensive. SIGG was very dishonest – send yours back get your 22 bucks and buy a safe plastic bottle for alot less money. Just my thoughts.

Mary

posted August 27, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I have long though that the lining in Sigg bottles was suspect and moved to higher quality stainless steel bottles. I believe that the best bottles are made by a Montana company called Pura Stainless. The bottles include a stainless lid (never understood why all the other non-plastic bottles have a plastic lid) and a lifetime warranty.
After I bought a few, Pura invited me to be one of their advocates which allows me to pass along a 20% discount for bottles ordered on their site (purastainless.com)
The 20% discount code is: swiggens
Do yourself a favor, toss those nasty aluminum and plastic bottles and pick up a Pura!

Lynn

posted August 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm

darn! and i just spent $25 bucks on a Sigg that I waited years to buy! I need a way to drink my 2-3 Liters daily. And due to liver disease, I try to be careful about this stuff. Any website available or address to return the bottle to Sigg for an exchange/refund? I guess we should stick with old fashioned glass at home & a stainless thermos for travel!!!!

Valerie

posted August 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Hi Lynn,
Actually if you just bought yours it might be fine. look inside–is the coating yellow or copper? Yellow=new. Copper=old. If it’s the latter, I’ve only found instructions to write: info@sigg.com, tho I’m guessing they’re slightly overwhelmed right now. Here’s a photo of the bottles: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/08/sigg-bottles-now-bpa-free.php
Thanks, Mary and Jennifer for the tip and reminder!

Alex

posted August 27, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Please reconsider before you return a bottle that is leaching NO BPAs. Think of the massive waste that our planet just shouldn’t have to handle and really can’t afford. Also consider that all canned goods, whether you buy organic or not, contain BPAs and there is no testing to tell us how much ends up in our food. That should concern us more. PLEASE BE ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE. THINK BEFORE YOU REACT!

Sue

posted August 27, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Mary for the info on Pura. I almost purchased some aluminum bottles last night and decided to hold off. Glad I did!

broaderview

posted August 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm

should i stop drinking from my cast lead bottle?

lila proof

posted August 28, 2009 at 8:34 pm

@broaderview
no, please drink as much as you wish from that bottle.
@Alex
good point. I’m torn between wanting to punish a deceptive company and not putting Sigg bottles in the landfill.
Thing is, how do we know the new liner is safe when the company deceived us on the last one? And are linerless bottles any better – I presume the liner served a purpose…

soho

posted September 29, 2009 at 3:19 pm

soho

posted September 29, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Fare Well, Live Fresh...and Thanks
This is the post in which we say goodbye.  We're both leaving our respective jobs at Beliefnet, and so it's time to step away from the blog.So, this is the post in which we say goodbye...by saying thank you.  Thank you to you, the readers, for clicking and visiting and sharing the myriad w

posted 12:00:45pm Jul. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Waking Up to Your Dreams (by Wendy Schuman)
Are you a frustrated dreamer? I know I am. I often wake up with fragments of scenes echoing in my mind that seem really meaningful--but then I leap out of bed, start my morning routine, and in seconds they're gone. I want to linger in that realm and tap into the guidance and insight rising from a wi

posted 2:21:32pm Jun. 24, 2010 | read full post »

Prayer for the Gulf from the 13 Grandmothers
Because I lack an engineering degree and don't understand why we can't just stop this thing NOW with a 10-ton wad of gum or giant boulder or massive Q-tip, I'll share more spiritual wisdom from elders. This is from the beautiful, amazing International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers--they each

posted 10:52:38am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

Fresh Morning: Worry Away the Worry
"Worry is a prayer for something you don't want." - Sharon Gannon I love that. The other day someone expressed concern about my excessive worrying habit, and I've been contemplating on it ever since. Doing my best to actually contemplate, rather than worry. I've been on a renewed Gilmore G

posted 9:14:40am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

How Did You (or a Loved One) Heal from Cancer?
In addition to co-writing this blog and working at Beliefnet full-time, I'm writing a book. It's about how I got through cancer five years ago with a combination of heavy-duty Western meds and all I knew from my personal and journalistic experience of yoga, meditation, non-religious spirituality, an

posted 3:08:46pm Jun. 18, 2010 | read full post »