Fresh Living

Fresh Living

A (Delicious) Recipe for Vegan Cashew Cheese

posted by sstukin

glass Cashews_1314.jpgSince it’s national “Eat What you Want” Day, I’m going to have to agree with my fellow blogger Valerie, who believes “everyday should be eat what you want day.”   Why not let the wisdom of your body (and your mind) guide you as you make meal choices at least three times a day?

As for what I want to eat on this day — more of the cashew cheese I made this weekend.   I’d heard about these creamy vegan dairy alternatives but never dared make my own, until yesterday.  Well actually, I started on Friday because vegan cheese takes a couple days — with the soaking of the nuts, the blending of the ingredients, the shaping, the draining of the cheese, the chilling and finally, the indulging.

I used a recipe from the April issue of Vegetarian Times, and in spite of the many steps involved, it’s quite an easy task.  More gratifying is the result:  an elegant, piquant chevre-like log that spreads perfectly on a baguette and even better accompanied with a chilled glass of white wine. If you don’t want to make your own, Dr. Cow carries a wide range of yummy looking nut cheeses. Otherwise, here’s the recipe I used.

Pepper-Crusted Cashew Goat Cheese
Makes 10 oz log

3/4 cup raw cashews
6 Tbs canola oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbs. tahini
1 1/4 tsp. salt
parchment paper
cheese cloth
1 tsp. cracked black peppercorns or coarsely ground black pepper

1. Place cashews in large bowl; cover with 3 inches water.  Soak overnight.

2. Drain liquid, rinse cashews under cold water and drain again.  Puree cashews, oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 Tbs. water in food processor 6 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.

3. Place large strainer over bowl, and line with triple layer of cheesecloth.  Spoon cashew mixture into cheesecloth.  Fold sides of cloth over cheese, and form into 6-inch-long oval loaf.  Twist ends of cloth and secure with rubber bands.  Set in strainer over bowl, and let stand 12 hours at room temperature.  Discard excess liquid.  Chill.

4. Preheat over to 200 degrees F.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.  Unwrap cheese, and scrape into 7-inch-long log on cheesecloth.  Rewrap, and twist ends to secure.  Place on prepared baking sheet.  Bake 35 minutes, or until cheese becomes set on outside but still soft, turning occasionally.  Cool, and chill.

5. Unwrap cheese.  Sprinkle with peppercorns, pressing to adhere.

Any vegan cheese makers who want to share tips, treats or recipes?

[image via: wikimedia commons]

Small Business Loans

posted February 15, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Now can you substitute the canola oil with Olive Oil or Grape seed Oil?

vegetarian recipes

posted July 25, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Very Nice Recipe And Good Information

Kingsley Picnic

posted August 15, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Thanks ever so! I am always on the lookout for great vegan recipes for picnics, and this is a great one.

AndyD

posted September 29, 2010 at 10:55 am

Thank for this recipe. I look forward to making it as I am not a vegan but try to avoid all milk products. Eat soya etc as I believe that milk was respondsible for my prostrate cancer

dia

posted October 5, 2010 at 3:14 pm

i’m about to make this… i’ll let you know how it turns out :)

NewVegan

posted October 7, 2010 at 2:20 am

I can’t wait to try it. I made some so-so cashew cheese, but didn’t think to bake it to get a more cheese-like texture. thanks for posting!

Rebecca

posted November 8, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I love this cheese! But I don’t bother with the straining, waiting, baking anymore. I didn’t find that much difference in the taste or quality by baking it, versus just mixing it up and eating it “raw” — and it’s a lot quicker! Make it — you won’t regret it! The only thing I did differently was to cut down a bit on the salt; found it a bit too salty for my taste. Also tried it using extra virgin olive oil — that version was also delicious, with a stronger flavor than the recipe using a neutral-flavored oil. Oh! Try this on pizza! SOOOO good!

John Peters

posted January 12, 2011 at 5:18 am

This recipe is good! I’ll make one tomorrow and buy the stuff needed! Thank you for sharing this recipe. I’m sure my kids will gonna love it!

Sue

posted January 27, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I use this recipe often lately, because it’s very close to the recipe a friend uses, but I can find this on the Internet a lot easier. I love it too, and think it is fancy enough as a holiday appetizer for company.
I also use less salt — maybe only a 1/2 teaspoon. But I add “a” garlic clove — 1 if large, 2 or 3 if small. I also don’t mind if I use a little extra water to help it puree in the blender more easily, since it has to drain in the cheesecloth anyway.
In the past, I didn’t bake it in the cheesecloth, but used the cheesecloth to give it a uniform texture. I also didn’t read the directions carefully, so used the peppery mix on it before putting it in the oven instead of after. I’ll try it that way tonight to see if it turns out differently.
I form it into a “puck” or a sort of flat ball, to give it a traditional cheese ball look. I bake it in a pie pan, which doesn’t take up as much room as a cookie sheet. And I use a steak seasoning mix which tastes very peppery, but includes other things like coarse salt, garlic, red peppers & paprika.
Last time I made this, I also made homemade crackers.
Thank you for posting this, because I do have to refer to it each time for measurements, and basic steps.

vegetarian split pea soup

posted March 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I agree with Valerie,every day should be like this,but that would just take up too much of our time to cook everything if you want to eat healthy. This sound like a great recipe just cant wait for vegan cheese to be ready. Thanks for the share

Johanna

posted August 22, 2011 at 12:31 am

This cheese is amazing! Does anyone have any tips for salvaging the cheesecloth for future reuse? The cloths are so messy afterwards that we always throw them out it would be nice to get a few uses out of them if possible.

posted December 1, 2013 at 4:34 pm

They have any full speed call have this will let you key
in 9 cutting corners not to mention get them
with a then click. The pen is used for creating the shape that is
to be removed. In some ways that’s refreshingly opposite
of how the internet tends to be.

Patent Attorney

posted February 26, 2014 at 11:46 am

Such an inventive idea, looks tasty and super healthy too. Not sure I have the long term willpower to go vegan though!

Fare Well, Live Fresh...and Thanks
This is the post in which we say goodbye.  We're both leaving our respective jobs at Beliefnet, and so it's time to step away from the blog.So, this is the post in which we say goodbye...by saying thank you.  Thank you to you, the readers, for clicking and visiting and sharing the myriad w

posted 12:00:45pm Jul. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Waking Up to Your Dreams (by Wendy Schuman)
Are you a frustrated dreamer? I know I am. I often wake up with fragments of scenes echoing in my mind that seem really meaningful--but then I leap out of bed, start my morning routine, and in seconds they're gone. I want to linger in that realm and tap into the guidance and insight rising from a wi

posted 2:21:32pm Jun. 24, 2010 | read full post »

Prayer for the Gulf from the 13 Grandmothers
Because I lack an engineering degree and don't understand why we can't just stop this thing NOW with a 10-ton wad of gum or giant boulder or massive Q-tip, I'll share more spiritual wisdom from elders. This is from the beautiful, amazing International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers--they each

posted 10:52:38am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

Fresh Morning: Worry Away the Worry
"Worry is a prayer for something you don't want." - Sharon Gannon I love that. The other day someone expressed concern about my excessive worrying habit, and I've been contemplating on it ever since. Doing my best to actually contemplate, rather than worry. I've been on a renewed Gilmore G

posted 9:14:40am Jun. 21, 2010 | read full post »

How Did You (or a Loved One) Heal from Cancer?
In addition to co-writing this blog and working at Beliefnet full-time, I'm writing a book. It's about how I got through cancer five years ago with a combination of heavy-duty Western meds and all I knew from my personal and journalistic experience of yoga, meditation, non-religious spirituality, an

posted 3:08:46pm Jun. 18, 2010 | read full post »