Feiler Faster

Feiler Faster

More Moses, Please, Mr. Obama

posted by bfeiler

Three-year-olds can’t really know, but I tried to tell my daughters at breakfast what this morning really means: That anybody can grow up to be president of the United States. That anything really is possible. That pyramids can be flipped.
I know that he’s not president yet; that she (the first woman!) is not going to be president; and that many Americans are apprehensive about what just happened in the Democratic primary. Yesterday I spoke to a deeply Christian Republican in Indiana who grumbled about who Obama was hanging around with in Chicago. We all know the attacks are coming. He seems to have been so careful about what he did and who he hung out with and how he dressed and what he took from the different cultures of his life. How could he not have been more careful about who he hung out with? Didn’t he know it would come back to haunt him? As a Southerner, I’m afraid my personal theory is that he may not have truly understood the depth of the racism and resentment that would face him when he got outside of Kansas, Hawaii, Cambridge, New York, and Chicago. It’s different in the places where slaves used to life. It just is.
But that’s not the part of slavery that today is about: Today is about the triumph over slavery. Today is about looking at a situation in the world in which one is oppressed, or ghettoized, or despairing, or hopeless, and realizing that there is a rival narrative. There is an alternative. And make no mistake, that view — the central narrative of revolution, the central premise of America — comes directly from the Bible. Specifically, it comes from the story of Moses.
Moses is the one who created the template for how to escape from slavery. Moses is the one who wrote the script for how to stand up to tyranny, how to carve out a claim for human dignity and social justice, how to look up at an authority figure who offers no escape, reach out to a higher authority, and take the first steps to a better future. For 400 years, Americans have tapped into that story — Columbus quoted it; the Pilgrims invoked it; Franklin, Jefferson, and Adams proposed it for the seal of the United States; slaves sung it on the Underground Railroad; Lincoln echoed it; the Statue of Liberty reflected it; Martin Luther King tapped into it; and now Barack Obama is once more bringing it to the fore of American public life.
At times he has made his debt to Moses public — as he did last year in Selma — but last night it was more subtle. He stitched some wounds in St. Paul. Quoted the founders and Lincoln (the last at least twice, I believe). Brought up Roosevelt, Truman, and Kennedy. He was trying to innoculate himself against the patriotism charge. He even wore a flag pin. But he didn’t, at least on my first read and hearing it live on television, quote the Bible. That’s another wound he has (the Muslim shadow and the Wright cloud), and my one criticism of an otherwise stirring, properly sternly delivered (impressive that he didn’t gloat), and emotional appearance is that he could do with a bit more biblical imagery. The kids in the audience may not recognize it; the punditry will surely miss it; and most people will not care. But a lot of people will hear it and take note.
So bravo to the return of the Exodus narrative in American life.
And more Moses, please, Mr. Obama.
BTW: For those of you who are new to FeilerFaster, the connection between Moses and America is the subject of my new book, AMERICA’S PROPHET: Moses and the Spirit of a Nation, which will be published early next year.

jestrfyl

posted June 4, 2008 at 10:29 am

Funny thing about Moses’ story – there is lots about convincing Pharaoh but almost noting about gaining credibility and convincing the Hebrews that this whole revolt and escape plan was a good idea. It’s not that they liked slavery, but this other idea was dangerous and very risky to life and limb. I think Obama has to convince us – “the Hebrews” in our case- that we need to make this stand and take this journey.
Now as to choosing a running-mate / vice president (which is the same concern as choosing a bride / wife or groom / husband; look beyond the ceremony/election to the roles you will play in the many years to come)- Obama needs an Aaron. Using this imagry may help refine the search a bot – an eliminate some otherwise obvious choices. Also, I think Clinton would be far more effective as a Supreme Court Justice than she would as vice p. Right now, her voice and vote would bear far more weight there than she could ever hope as vice p.

kdiamond

posted June 4, 2008 at 10:59 am

As a non-believer I don’t share the wish for more Bible in the campaign rhetoric, but I did note one encouraging moment (for me) when Obama wrapped up a list of objectives with: “renewing our commitment to science and innovation.”
Maybe its time to urge Obama to participate in Sciencedebate2008?
(see: http://www.sciencedebate2008.com)

Paul Shiras

posted June 4, 2008 at 12:35 pm

I listened to Obama’s speech last night and I haven’t been so moved since I heard MLK’s “I have a dream.” speech. We are Americans first! Let’s start thinking like that again and get away from the rhetoric that divides us and stop walking in fear.
Obama is not Moses, he is more like David, uniting a divided nation. McCain is trying to look like Solomon, and not doing so bad at it.

Charles Cosimano

posted June 4, 2008 at 3:23 pm

But will the floor of congress open up and the opponents of his legislative agenda be swallowed up in the earth?
And when do we get to see him part the Potamac?
Moses? GAAAACK!!

nancy

posted June 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Praise the Lord for this dAy of history and congradulation to candidate Obama.
I hope the politicians will respect him and not try to kill him at this level and all other levels.
Washington and politics is so old school (their turf so to speak),and wants what it wants and when they can’t get it because of some of the miracles s/a this one happening; might not be in the cards (their turf and beliefs), and if the public really goes out and vote; wow I will pray for him and his family and pray also that he makes and difference; (we need change real bad and that will take more then four years); and he is still standing tall and no harm comes to him.
AGAIN PRAISE THE LORD AND CONGRATS.
YOU HAVE MY VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nancy

posted June 4, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Congrat Mr Obama and \Praise the Lord/ Keep him safe Lord; in Jesus’ Name, and I hope the politica of Washington give him a chance to make a difference.

frgough

posted June 5, 2008 at 10:39 am

Teresa Eckard

posted June 5, 2008 at 11:32 am

Congratdulations Mr. Obama on your winning of the Democratic nomination for president. I’ve heard other American say that they were proud of him for what he has accomplished. Not to take away from this great achievement, but I am more proud of the American citizens. For they have open their eyes, their, hearts, their ears and no less their faith to finally judge a man by his charactor and not the color of his skin and to make it possible for a Black man to be president of the United States. I pray that God empowers you, Mr. Obama to live up to the faith and hope that has been placed upon you. I pray that God continue to guide and protect you,now and always.
Congradulations America, and thank you that you have finally shown the world that child can grow up to be whatever he desires.

frgough

posted June 5, 2008 at 11:45 am

Oh, please. Obama’s nomination had everything to do with the color of his skin. The guy is a vapid, empty suit with no experience and a golden tongue when speaking from a teleprompter. He spent 20 years in the pews of a hate-filled racist church and was married and had his kids baptized by the disgusting racist he called a preacher and mentor.
If Democrats actually had been interested in content of character, they would have dumped this guy a long time ago.

Teresa Eckard

posted June 5, 2008 at 11:46 am

Congradulations Mr. Obama on your winning of the Democratic nomination for president. I’ve heard other Americans (African Americans to be specific), say that they were proud of him for what he has accomplished. Not to take away from this great achievement, but I am more proud of the American citizens. For they have open their eyes, their, hearts, their ears and no less their faith to finally judge a man by his charactor and not by the color of his skin and to make it possible for a Black man to be president of the United States. I pray that God empowers you, Mr. Obama to live up to the faith and hope that has been placed upon you. I pray that God continue to guide and protect you, now and always.
Congradulations America, and thank you that you have finally shown the world that child in America can grow up to be whatever he desires.

bird

posted June 5, 2008 at 12:19 pm

I agree with Teresa. Obama’s nomination shows that the American dream is still alive. We can tell our children with conviction that any child from any background can grow up to be President! God bless and protect Barack Obama. This is a joyous day.

Hiram

posted June 5, 2008 at 2:36 pm

I see the similarities between Obama and Moses: both didn’t grow up as slaves but became affiliated with a constituency that had survived slavery and embodied the symbol of not just freedom but full self realization for that constituency.
Other than that, I hope to God we can keep religion out of politics for the rest of this year, like Christ advised. Render unto Washington what is Washington’s.
I disagree with his choice of former pastor, but he has criticized his former pastor. Either way, Republicans had an equally repulsive, fascist ally in Jerry Falwell … and many others. And now Obama most certainly knows better … this is where we will see him maturing into the person in history that he will become.
The only other thing that I also disagree with is his mention of being willing to meet with Ahmadinejad. Ahmdnjd came to the US and was allowed to say some of the most embarassing, ignorant, stupid things a country’s leader has said in recent memory. It only served to help people appreciate him as the kind of third world, anti-democratic, religious bigot character that he is.
Some in the Jewish community are a bit apprehensive about Obama saying he’d meet with him, and although I don’t expect that the Iranian leader would change much of his mindset I do think his attitude towards the US (and who knows, maybe even Israel) will probably become less threatening if he meets with Obama.
Obama’s rhetoric of hope tells me that Obama is an idealist … and he tries to be a conciliator. His presidency would drastically and forever change the image of the USA abroad, even (and especially) among Muslims and those who hate the US, which is (or should be) one of the imperatives of the next presidency. He’s the only one that can make this country safer. Here is a man who embodies the American dream fully and in voting we would be writing history and changing history forever.
I’m very against the militarization of the US, our budget and our foreign policy. Obama’s the man. The current policy and leaders, CLEARLY, are not working.
My only concern if he wins is his safety.

Jahamilton

posted June 5, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I also would like to congratulate America! You have stepped outside of the box; went against the grain; awaken out of a deep sleep. To Mr/Ms Frgough, there is no proof that Rev. White’s church is a “hate-filled racist church.” I believe Rev. White loves America and it’s people, but was simply addressing some of the wrongs in the past, some of which have spilled over into the present. Obama is not perfect, Rev. White is not perfect, you are not perfect, none us are perfect. But, if we would just open up our spiritual ear and hear and try to understand what God is trying to do in this wonderful country, then we would not be so critical and hateful toward each other because of the color of our skin. As Christians, or whatever the belief is, we must understand that God is in Control. We can fight against it, but He has the final say. God loves America and will not stop just because an African American is going to be president.(Prophecy) It is a NEW day. To God be the glory for the things He has done. Not only are there physical guards surrounding Mr. Obama, but there are angels on post and have been assigned to protect him. No weapon formed against him will prosper. God Bless America, Mr. Obama, Beliefnet and Frgough.

Armand

posted June 5, 2008 at 6:51 pm

I believe that Mr.Obama is that neeeded ingredient on the so called american melting pot. Most americans see Obama as an African American… but is he really an African American? From the racist view he is a black american… however, Mr.Obama is really a mulatto a person of white and black ancestry. My friends this is the real melting pot history of success. Mr.Obama represents both races and will represent them both as one people. And his previous experience with Islam, has given him an insight on a religion that is also a mayor world religion.

Jake

posted June 6, 2008 at 12:40 am

Well, Obama did say at the end of his, “I have the delegate count” speech, that this was the moment that the oceans began to recede… Sounds a little like what Moses was involved with

Sharon

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:47 am

Religion is always into everything,what is wrong with you it’s the air e breath, the skys we see, the way we live, believe when I say Moses said let my people go. Obama will say that to the world!

Sharon

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:51 am

correction, it’s the air we breath!!!

jayne riel

posted June 6, 2008 at 8:03 am

Obama has a major lack of good judgement. examples…. He did drugs while he was young.. He married a non-patriotic wife.. he befriended a radical non repentive terriost. Went to a huge anti american racist Church for 20 YEARS and referred to the paster as his MENTOR!!! This pastor was not spreading the loving Christian message and in fact I could not telll it was a Christian Church. I have never heard my pastor at any Church spread such hatred!!! My husband is a man of color so please don;t try top label me as racist. I just have huge concerns about his judgement and lack of ethics.
An example of that is that he supported the Born alive act which dictates to kill the poor children that have survived an abortion. It this man compassionate!?! He doesn;t even care about the most helpless citizens of this country… By the way Abortion is the number one cause of death in African Americans…
I just wish that he was a better Black candidate than him. I would never vote for him!!

Nelly Thomas

posted June 6, 2008 at 8:33 am

Let’s face it people … America (USA) is not a melting pot these days … it’s a tossed salad!

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 9:44 am

Jayne,
What really is your point? No one is perfect only God. We all have sat in church and heard our priest, reverend, pastor etc say things that we do not like but WE ALL GO BACK. We differ in arguments with our families and friends but do we cast them away. Where are our christian values here. Jesus went into the depths of the society to bring the evil back to the right side of the track and save souls.
The pastor and priest are human beings and truth be told, if everyone listen and listen again to the messages, they are not totally wrong.
Just my view from far away in the Caribbean as a multiracial person hoping for change in the attitudes of Americans.

jayne

posted June 6, 2008 at 9:59 am

Sunshine,
We all have choices. If I had a hateful pastor spew out that kind of hatred, I would have got up and walked out of that so called Church and never returned. This shows how weak Obama is.

beth

posted June 6, 2008 at 10:10 am

Sunshineannmarie..
If this was a white candidate for President going to a racist Church against blacks or any other race,,, do you think the public would be so happy about his Church either??? No, and rightfully so!! No paster, Priest or Rabbi would be doing their duty to their parishioners and as God would want them to do by spreading hate and division. It is ironic that Obama claims that he is a uniter but deep down his friends are very divisive including Michelle who is also very prejudice

3times

posted June 6, 2008 at 10:12 am

As a child of the 60′s, it is amazing to me that we have grown and remained stagnant at the same time. As christians we read that the judge is Christ Jesus. As I see it,we have put Jesus out of this election. So, if God would have Mr. Obama as our President are we going to continue to disobey him?

Tashina

posted June 6, 2008 at 10:27 am

ObaMA is a weak candidate that can read from the teleprompter, thats it!! He has no experience and we can not afford an ignorant man like him to heal our country,,, He is a dangerous man

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 11:53 am

Jayne,
There are people all over the world who continue to sit in churches even though they disagree with the sermons being preached. Not one of us are immuned and we would be hyporcrites. If any of your family members disagree with your point of view are you going to walk away from them forever. Where is the forgiveness for your fellow man. This is why the world wants to see a change in the attitudes of Americans who protray themselves as righteous and holier than thou.
Lets move on and those without fault cast the first stone.
Just my view from far away in the Caribbean, watching and waiting for a change.

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 11:59 am

Beth,
Are you a friend of Michelle to know that she is prejudice?????????
I am not seeing any christian attitude coming out here and I detect some racism coming to play here. What I find so ironic is that people in America act like if every Sunday they totally agree with sermons being preached.
I am in the same church for most of my life but do I agree with my priest every Sunday, OH NO, NOT FOR A MINUTE, but I see the good in him and try to understand his point of view.
God’s blessings and have a great weekend.
Just my views from far away in the Caribbean wishing that all people who believe in God practice forgiveness and understanding to their fellow man.

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Tashina,
Not very nice comments. How do you know he is dangerous????? How can you say he is ignorant? What experience did Ronald Reagan have when he became president. Does McCain have experience? The experience as a President can only come when you are in the job trying to do the work of the people. Are you please with Bush and the way your country is being run? Amazing that so many voted for a weak person.
Hope that some day soon, you would not have harsh views on someone that has not been in the public eye for a long time.
Just my view from far away in the Caribbean hoping for world peace and kindness towards our fellowman regardless of colour, class or creed.

jayne

posted June 6, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Sunshine,
God gave us a good mind and a free will. We need to use our God given talents and judegment to stand up for what’s right. Don;t you agree that slavery was wrong??? That’s why people did not accept it and stood up t0 make changes. I forgive Rev Wright for he doesnt know what he is doing (Jesus forgave us all while he was on the cross) … But I would not want the President of the US to belong to a hate filled church like that for 20 years. Oprah left that Church many years ago because of it. If this was a white Candidate for President doing the exact opposite, you would have been less tolerant. Would you also overlook him sitting in a racist Church. Most people that can make their own decisions can evaluate a person and decide if they want to associate with them. Obama has very poor judgement in choosing his associates. How could we trust him with the awesome responsibility to run our nation with what we know about him?? The scary part is that we don;t know enough about this person at all.

Beth

posted June 6, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Sunshine,
Does your priest say America the KKK? Does your priest say The United states if full of rich white men?? Does your priest spread LIES that the govt spread Aids etc, etc??? There is a difference in sitting in a church that says a few things that u disagree on, This man spread downright HATRED for his fellow man and stereotypes the white race. Is that what Jesus wants??? If a fool sits in a church like that he carries it in his heART WHEREVER HE GOES.. I just dont understand why Obama saying that he is a so called uniter would put up with that kind of garbage if he disagreed with it. Where is his leadership skills??? and he wants to run for the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES!! He will nere get my vote and no I am not a racist… he is!!

kool

posted June 6, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Sunshineannmariechick!!
WHy are u so interested in Obama??/ You won;t even be voting?? Butt out girlfriend

matty

posted June 6, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Also who cares what the world thinks about the America?? They don’t give a darn about us

matty

posted June 6, 2008 at 1:06 pm

We are the most generous nation out there helping others no matter what.. Why is it that people are critizing the US?? Maybe they are just jealous… Let’s elect John McCain for President and yes he DOEs have the experience and good judgement to lEAD this country!!!

obamalover

posted June 6, 2008 at 1:27 pm

mimi

posted June 6, 2008 at 1:38 pm

i happen to think he is well too. Can I have him too??

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Jayne,
When you start a new school for the first time you have to make new friends and get to know them without prejudgment. You had to give George Bush a chance.
Of course slavery was wrong, the persecution of the jews and also the banishing of the Native American Indians to the reservations. Each day brings a different road to travel, give him a chance like any other person because if we let fear rule us we would never leave home.

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Kool and Matty
Not very nice comments and this is why the rest of the world react to you all. Please respect views. What happens on the earth affects all of us.

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Kool,
How do you know that I would not be voting just because I am in the Caribbean. There you go, assuming, assuming, assuming. Do you know what ASSUME means.
Multiracial girl from far away in the Caribbean.

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 2:32 pm

JA Hamilton, Teresa and Bird.
Lovely comments.
if Jesus did not leave his home in Nazareth and go into the hills and byways to save souls and carry the cross for us where would we be now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He went beyond the boundaries to associate with persons that his own people did not want him to. He saw what was in the heart and not the colour of your skin. It is time to move on and to promote world peace that is what the rest of the world is watching for.
Just my view from far away in the Caribbean with family born and living in all parts of the world.

Wilburn Aker

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:19 pm

May God bless this nation as we try to turn it around and head in the right direction. Good luck to Obama in the upcoming election. We need to restore this nation to the creeds upon which it was founded. One nation under GOD with liberty and justice for all.

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Excellent comment Wilburn Aker,
The world and its faith in America needs to be restored also.
God Bless you.

Lisa Stewart

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I am confused to say the least- everyone acts as if Slavery is still going on today, give it a rest and seek God and follow the path he will lead you on. Too many times individuals, churches, groups and society as a whole- they take something that was wrong and they wear it like a cross to show the world that it means something still today . I do not agree with Slavery of any kind- there are all kinds of laws being made even today that force me to have to deal with peoples choices and my children have to listen to others choices of a lifestyle that goes against God’s word and Laws. Everyone of us will die and one day we will stand in judgement whether you Believe or not – on this day, no matter what the Human Laws have told you are correct or Right, God’s Law was handed down centuries before we existed and they will not change ever ! If you want the people to listen – speak in a Language they all understand – The Bible and do not steer from the road of Righteousness!!!!!

candy moore

posted June 6, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Lisa,
I agree with you. God’s law is that every child is a gift. Man’s law is if it is inconvenient then just discard it. We are a disposable society and a selfish one at that. One of my major concerns is for the unborn children of this nation. I do not see Obama defeneding those children’s rights. That is one of thereasons I will not vote for him.
Miss Sunshine lady, you seem very involved and that is good. the things you said about whena person is new that you want to make friends. I suppose you are talking about the church of Obama. He wasn’t new. He has been there for 20 years. He has had a long time to evaluate and make a decision about his Church. I do not respect him for staying in that Church until he had no other choice but to leave because it made him look so bad. That is really something to go to a place of worship and hear those negative, obscene lectures by his mentor.
anyways, thats my 2 cents. God Bless us all and God Bless America

sunshineannmarie

posted June 6, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Why are we all assumming that was the major topic on every sermon preached?
Let’s put it behind us and move on.
God’s blessings to all the bloggers.

candy moore

posted June 6, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Even if that was the topic One time that is one time too much to stay in a hateful Church like that.

Peter Gwyther

posted June 6, 2008 at 8:58 pm

The pre-requisite for even being considered for selection is to have pledged allegiance to the rich and morally decrepit.
it won’t matter who gets in, the poor will stay poor, the rich will be richer and the powerful more potent.

stan

posted June 7, 2008 at 12:03 am

Hey sunshine girl,
How much are you getting paid by the Obama campaign to respond to all the comments on him. DO you have A life???

JDGent

posted June 7, 2008 at 1:02 am

I am a white person who will not vote for Obama because he is a fabian socialist and a closet marxist. His worldview & not his race turn me off. Most importantly he sat in a church for 20 years that espouses another Jesus, another spirit & another gospel.

jackie

posted June 7, 2008 at 8:54 am

JDGent,
You took my words completely,This is not about his race. This is about the core of this man and has nothing to do with his race.
Nicely said

maddywater

posted June 7, 2008 at 10:33 pm

can you think of a man or woman for that matter who proclaims to beleave in Jesus Christ and live a christain life , and the next moment with the vote of allowing partial birth abortion? go figure, who do you think you are kidding, you cant have it all, either you see it for what it is and that is the taking of a perfectly healthy baby at 8 or 9 months in the womb, dragging it partially out of its mothers womb, to cut its spinal cord in the neck, while still in the birth canal, it order to claim it is only a fetus , just tissue, and that it is not murder of an innocent human being, obama voted for partial birth abortion on demand, i cant fathom you think this man with not only his hate for the unborn, but listening to his pastor for 20 years who only spewed hate for america and whites,didnt have the courage to stand up not once and say hey , i love america and the whites

clem

posted June 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Maddywater,
YOu are so right. It’s a mystery to me how anyone can call themself a follower of Christ and believe it is ok to murder a child so inhumanly like that. He is not a compassionate person at all. And just in case you did not know he also thought it is ok to euthanize the poor child that has even survived an abortion after it is newly born. How in the world would someone do that to a innocent little baby that barely made it through a horrendous abortion. If people only watched with their own eyes what you described maybe it would be illegal. They just are veru selfish people out there.
We all need to stand up for the unborn because their voices are never heard!!!

Loretta

posted June 8, 2008 at 7:10 am

I did not attend church this morning because of my disgust in self righteous hipocritical people. At one time, I enjoyed this website but as of today I am unsubscribing. The negative comments are a vexation to my spirit. If some of you make it into heaven, I’d rather not go there either. God has really got to be so disappointed in some of you. It’s ashame that you would rather see another four years of the Bush administration than to cast your vote for a black man or a white woman. Remember that his first law is love.

ben

posted June 8, 2008 at 10:06 am

Loretta,
I have a hard time believing you. If you really cared about God you would go regardless of what others say or do.. True believers do that!!!I believe we need to follow Jesus not people because people are human and sinners. That is a poor excuse and I feel sorry for you. You must be another one getting paid by Obama to reply to the e-mails. I know he pays people to do that. He is a farce..

sandy

posted June 8, 2008 at 10:14 am

You probably did not attend Church because you are too lazy!!! If Church meant something to you deeply, then you would go because that is your relationship with the Lord. YOu just made up a lame excuse for not going. You need to rise above all that stuff and go because God is worth it. You are weak and need God’s direction.

Tim

posted June 8, 2008 at 10:20 am

MCain is not another 4 years of Bush. If you say that than Obama is a 2nd Jimmy Carter term or worse!! What happened to a rair and honest debate that Obama always projects in his speeches?? He lies about McCain

Never certain

posted June 8, 2008 at 10:28 am

McCain may have different instincts, but he adopted every single one of Bush’s policies: death, turture, unkindness to immigrants, disregard of the poor and the sick. This is what the Republican Party has become, and before it spends years without power it cannot be redeemed.

Tim

posted June 8, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Dear Never certain,
You need to do more research. It was McCain that was working for a bill to help the immigrants. You are showing your ignorance with your message. Do your homework before you blindly follow the lies of Obama. Talk about Torture… What do you think Abortion is.. That is very unkind and disregarding the most helpless of all citizens… Open your eyes brother.. Do not be fooled!!

joannie z

posted June 8, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I would like to see a black man elected president, but not Obama! He is for abortion and worse yet he is for partial birth abortion and even voted to not save the baby if it should be born alive from a failed abortion! He is not someone I could ever vote for! is it any wonder that many of our youth have very little respect for life?

Tim

posted June 8, 2008 at 3:07 pm

I agree with you about wanting to see a black President one day. But this one isnt the right one for the United states. We need a compassionate and knowledgeable President that stands up for the unborn in this country. We are killing 4,000 babies a day with abortion and the majority are priceless African American babies!!! All children are gifts from God and true believers love God’s creations from the womb on!!! Let’s unite and stand up for those babies and overcome like we overcame slavery!!!

cathy

posted June 8, 2008 at 3:12 pm

I agree with you about that Tim. Thank you for your concern for our furure generations.

Never certain

posted June 8, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Dear Tim,
You may not like abortion, but no government is going to outlaw it.
However, some governments make peace, and others make war. Some work to eradicate poverty and disease, and others work to make rich people even richer. That’s where a vote can make a real difference in my opinion.
Regarding McCain, he was against torture before he was for it, and he did indeed suggest immigration reform before he decided to vote against his own law. The same goes for climate change. The reality is that in today’s GOP you can’t be leader if you do not sign on extremist policies. That’s what happens after being in power for too long.
Joannie: no party will ever outlaw abortion, so that’s a non issue in political terms, even if it is big moral issue. But if you care about life, how can you vote for someone who wants war, more war, and then more war again?? How about the thousands of Americans who died in Iraq in vain, or the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who also died?

cathy

posted June 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Nevere certain,
Don’t be so certain that our government won’t finally outlaw abortion when it sees the light.. If the right President is voted they can appoint GOOD MORAL Supreme Court justices that can overturn Roe vs. Wade.. I will always have hope that in my lifetime that will happen and I will fight for that. Things can change if we only believe. Alot more babies are dying each day than the war. And is far as war goes, that is the price of freedom. Do not even believe that Obama is going to defend this nation. He doesn’t even know where to begin. We are in this war, (whether he believed in it or not) and we need a strong commander in chief to finish it. John McCain is the one that is qualified to do the job and won’t be intimidated by our enemies.

poutine

posted June 9, 2008 at 2:02 am

Judging from his name Mr. O’Bama is Irish and as a neutral Canadian I should say that we have benefitted-or not- from the policies of other Irish presidents such as Reagan and Kennedy. I suggest therefore that his ethnicity is not an issue. Our sublime viceroy in this northern confederacy is from Haiti as a matter of fact. Being Irish is not a big deal with us, Fenian Raids notwithstanding. Have a good day guys!

Mark Justice

posted June 9, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Never certain,
I’ll start with Obama who attends a so call church that preaches hatred. In my book that means that he is not a Christian. That’s a good enough reason not to vote for him because his decisions will not be God’s will but his own and he will vote in support of humanity’s sinful nature. The second reason is his actions and history. He doesn’t respect this country’s flag or he would place his hand over his heart and participate in the Pledge of Allegiance. He has broken his vow to uphold the constitution by voting for bills that would destroy the second amendment. So how can an American vote for someone as President who does not respect and support what this country stands for. He should be considered a traitor to our country.
Do I think that McCain is what we need? No I do not, but he is far better choice than Obama. Is any President perfect? No! Elections have become an election of the lesser of two evils. We as a nation have become so concerned with what we want and the feelings of others that we are losing control of the very foundation on which this country is based. God brought settlers here so they could worship him in peace, He led this country into battle, yes WAR, to give us that freedom, as he did his people in the Bible. And again God has led us into battle to protect that freedom and defeat evil. Our Soldiers are in Iraq and other countries fighting for freedom for Americans and people of other countries. He is humbling those soldiers and brings them to their knees to worship him everyday. Many of those soldiers have learned what it truly means to put their trust in Christ. Praise God!!! If we elect Obama, it will be a disgrace to our forefathers and every American soldier who has fought for the freedom that we have today. The War on terror is God’s war and we should all pray for His will to be done; not for our will to be done.
War is always a tragedy, but throughout history many have given the greatest gift of all, as Jesus did.
John 15.13
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.
We grieve over the loss of life out of our own selfishness, but it’s a celebration if that person belongs to Christ. Our soldiers show what it means to be true heroes.
It’s time for this country to make a stand for God and Freedom. There is no such thing as separation of Church and State. The Constitution of the United States protects our right to worship the one and only God. God was in the beginning, the forming of our country, and He should be there today. He should be in our schools, our courtrooms, our Senate, and our White House. We should elect people of God. People like our forefathers who risked their lives and the lives of their families. People willing to be persecuted over doing what is right; people willing to do God’s will.
Jesus loves you and I do, too!

Nelson

posted June 9, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Seriously,
Everyone on this site should watch this video.
Respectfully,
Nelson

juiceeja thompson

posted June 9, 2008 at 7:03 pm

ALL OF YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE OR RUN FOR PRESIDENT.TALK IS CHEAP.

Lillian

posted June 9, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Obama is much more qualified to be President than McCain. Some of Obama qualifications are lawyer, leadership posiitions, organizer, State Senator, US Senator, moral values, intelligent, christian, smart, alert mind, elegant speaker, and love for the American people. His racial identity should have nothing to do with his qualification. However, some people believes he is not qualified soley because he is black. He will be President for all people: white, black, red, yellow, rich, and poor. He will bring peace and prosperity to this country. He is not a warmonger neither a person who fills the pocket of only rich people like his opponent McCain. McCain qualifications do not add up to Obama qualifications by any mean. I want a president with the qualifications of someone like Obama. It is time for a non white President. This will show the world that a black person can be President of the United States.

Tamara Morgan

posted June 10, 2008 at 12:42 am

Mr. Obama has been attacked in many ways; over some opinions that he has expressed, which are in his control and over the attitudes and words of his former minister (for example) and even his wife, which are beyond his control. I admire his honesty about his past and I like his sense of humor. There is a freshness about him that I haven’t seen in a candidate (who has made it beyond the primaries) yet. I admired the way that he defended the attacks on his wife. I think that shows courage. He was going to defend her even if it meant offending someone else (who made the “slurs” in the first place). Both he and Ms. Clinton said things before that they now respond differently to when questioned in the senate. It is rather stubborn and lacks vision if one remains stuck in one point of view after learning new information. I think that far too much is being made of his ethnicity as an “African American”. In fact, he is mulatto. Some, I have read do not trust him simply because his mother and Kenyan father gave him the middle name of Hussein! That is about as far fetched as I can think of! The real “enemies” of this country are ignorance, predjudice, intolerance and sometimes, apathy; not Al Queida…They only obtain a strong ‘footing” when there is diviseness. “United we stand, divided we fall” could never have been a better truth. Subversive groups gain access into the minds of populations when there is such divisevness.
We, as a nation, must remember what our Founding Fathers stood for and why the generous French people gave us our gloriuos Statue of Liberty and what she represents. As a courageous and wise native American, Sitting Bull once said, “as individual fingers we are easily broken but together we make a mighty fist”. Give Obama a chance…

MrMissy

posted June 10, 2008 at 5:14 am

I’m not scared of a new day. But on the other hand, many other “Christians” are.
They all say they want change until they realize that the wish package has been delivered in a non-European tradition.
Then they all run like hell right back to the devil.

Wondering

posted June 10, 2008 at 7:48 am

I thought there were some good points in Nelson’s link. Obama’s minister was out of line and Obama’s initial reaction was inappropriate and lacked sincerity and good judgment. However, I do find him to be intelligent and his message of hope inspirational. Personally, I will have to consider the viewpoints of McCain seriously as well in this election and do wish it were an easier decision for me to make.

sunshineannmarie

posted June 10, 2008 at 8:46 am

Stan,
Of course I have a life and freedom to express my views. I have to ask you the same question, do you have a life? It is negative people like you that need to change your attitude and make the world a better place.
God bless to you and I will uplife you in my prayers.

ncmom

posted June 10, 2008 at 9:33 am

I appreciate folks need for some ‘Bible’ to be interjected into speeches but politicians have manipulated and USED Christianity, the Bible and a trusting Christian ‘flock’ who will follow ANYONE who says they’ve been born-again and told by God to run for office… because it works!
Yes, I want our leaders to believe in the redemption of Jesus Christ and use the Holy Bible as a source of guidance… but after the number current politicians have done on us, we as Christians need to demand more substance and addresses our willingness to follow anyone who ‘talks the talk’(from both parties). It’s going to take a long time to restore (again) what’s been done especially to the poor, suffering and manipulated in the name of Christianity or Patriotism. I’m looking for someone who’s willing to ‘walk the walk’. Lapel pins & strategically intergected Bible verses dont give me the ‘green light’ to jump in line anymore!

achrisa

posted June 10, 2008 at 11:30 am

I just can’t believe that the American public is so blind to the fact that Obama is nothing more than a good public speaker. There is no substance to his claims that he will “change” America. He has played the black card to his advantage, but let’s face it; his mom was white, he was raised by his white mom and his white grandparents in Hawaii, went to prep school and Harvard — what business does he have presenting himself as an oppressed black man from the south side of Chicago? His speeches remind me of high school pep rallies, where the most popular person in school is put up on a pedestal and voted class president because everybody likes him, not because he is the best person for the job. Obamalover demonstrates this with the comment, “Hey dudes!!! I must say that i am voting for this hunky MAN. i AM FROM Chicago and know him the best. He is very sweet to me..” Okay, sweetie, you vote for him, and if he gets elected and the terrorists start to take over will you still think he’s the best? I agree with frgough, “We won’t get to see him part the Potamac, but apparently, he’s very good at switching off the brains of people who listen to him. Witness the author and many of the commenters.” Wake up, America…

velvet

posted June 10, 2008 at 1:09 pm

ALRIGHTLY THEN …. Personal opinion here .. U speak of Moses, and Bibicial Teaching 4 the rules of life, especially 4 those of us who are “saved” .. America is a copy of Sodom and Gorramah .. N case u haven`t notice, !! men marrying men and women, women, drugs, violence, and all, If the christians (TRUE CHRISTIANS) WOULD STAND UP AND REMEMBER HOW THE STORY REALLY GOES CONCERNING MOSES .. As far as Oboma is concerned, sometimes I feel as if though he is the fore-runner of the real ‘ANTI-CHRIST’ .. For those of us who have read and semi- understand the Words Spoken would surely c the familiaries of the 2. Do Not Get Me Wrong.. I AM NOT SAYING OBAMA IS THE ANTI-CHRIST,…. BUT, I AM SAYING THIS, 4 THE SERIOUS CHRISTIANS, PLEASE READ THE PROPHECY BOOKS, DANIAL, EZEKIEL, REVELATION, EVEN MATTHEW AND ALL THOSE. COMPARE IT WITH THE OLD TESTAMENT.. AFTER ALL, ALL THE NEW TESTAMENT IS …. IS A ‘REVEALER’ TO THE OLD TESTAMENT .. N OTHER WORDS.. THE OLD TESTAMENT CONCEALS THINGS .. AND THE NEW TESTAMENT REVEALS THEM.. THEY GO HAND-N-HAND!!! PEASE CONSIDER, SERIOUSLY CONSIDER THIS. NOTICE THE CHANGE OF SEASONS AND THE WEATHER TRIND AND SO-FORTH. U CAN FIND THAT IN MATTHEW OF THE GOSPELS. THIS IS 2 SERVE WARNING .. PEOPLE .. JESUS IS KNOCKING ON OUR DOOR, STANDING ON OUR PORCHES, N OUR FACES. WAKE UP AMERICA .. U R DESTROYING YOURSELF, JUST AS SCRIPTURE FOR-TELLS AFTER IT FOREWARNS,

hope and change

posted June 10, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Hey everyone..
Lets just forgive and foorget and hope that there is Change with the best to bring it about. Lets elect someone new and fresh to governmanet and that is our good lookin senator from Chicago Chicago!!!
Yes!!! WE CAN!!! Hooray hooray!!! Let’s get it started AGAIN!!! wE DONT WANT AN OLD FART DO WE!?!

kathy hickey

posted June 11, 2008 at 6:16 pm

did you see obama on the internet or news, turned away from the flag, not addressing it correctly, or not saying the pledge of alliegence? A muslim man like this should never be president of the “UNITED STATES” That is “SO WRONG”!!!!!!!!!!

Pastor Oliver White D.D.

posted June 12, 2008 at 8:08 am

Dear Readers;
I am reminded that while teaching my children to study the word of God for everyday guidance and as example for their lives, I allways encouraged them to compare any given situation or condition with the word. If the professing Christain people would bother to read their own bibles in private devotion to God instead of listening to politically motivated preachers who are seeking the popular road instead of the prophetic road. I, myself, do not yeild to the tickling of ears senerio to protect myself from loosing the big tithers and givers. I for one can testify that if we will stick to the letter of the Holy Word of God, our harvests will not only continue to yield, but they will in season be presed down, shaken together and running over, and more than enough. My point is, make yourself acquainted with the facts about the candidate that you find inspiring to your ears before you make your mark by their name. I challenge you to compare not only the words of the candidate with the Word of God, but even more important that candidates actions. I would like personally to caution you that are reading this to familiar yourself with the end time prophecies and TAKE NOTE! What part are the American people, you and I, about to play in what I believe to be the end time events. I look and I hear what is being played on the media and what is happening around the world and I have to be honest, I can almost see and hear the calling of Christ from the clouds, the beconing for his children to come up to him in the air. I ask you, could we possibly be that close? Look to the Word of God, read the signs around you and pray before you vote! May God richly enlighten you today!
Respectfully; Pastor Oliver White
Senior pastor of New Life ministries
P.O.box 295 Mangum, Okla.73554 (or)
806 Ft. Worth St.- Wellington, Texas
95095

hope and change

posted June 12, 2008 at 10:58 am

Ra ra ra ra ra!!! Go obabma go!!! Yahoo Mountain dew!!!

seeker

posted June 16, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Why can’t the Media, and the people whom Barack interacted with in the past, tell the entire public of how good or just ordinary Barack is?
This is settle the issue for those wanting to vote for him but totally at lost of his obscure past.