“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” – Dalai Lama
Sometimes you need a boost of encouragement to get through your day. Other times, you need to be that boost for someone else. Be the light in someone’s life and make their day awesome, using some of these tips.
1. Give a compliment – Make someone feel good by telling them what you love about them. Compliment their hair, comment on how much you love their style; tell them you admire their ability to give good presentations. We all need more positivity in our life. Do you know anyone who could use a self-esteem boost?
2. Thank them – A sincere thank you goes a long way. Even if someone is just holding the door open for you, take the moment to give a full “thank you” as you’re passing through. Gratitude is important in our world, and it will make someone feel super awesome today.
3. Make eye contact – How powerful is eye contact? Holding it for just a second longer than you normally would can make someone feel appreciated and special. You feel more valued when you’re speaking to someone who holds eye contact with you. It feels like the listener is REALLY listening to you, and that sort of impact cannot be quantified.
4. Be cheerful – True cheerfulness toward someone can really make their day awesome. It’s refreshing to talk to a friend, co-worker, or acquaintance who seems genuinely excited to talk to you and just happy about being alive that day. Cheerfulness isn’t just a personality disposition; it’s a choice.
5. Give away freebies – Everyone likes to receive gifts, no matter how big or small. Unexpected surprises add a little bit of joy to someone’s life. Small things, like sharing your dessert, giving away clothes that you’re going to take to the thrift store anyway, keeping a candy stash at your desk–these gestures will go long way in making someone feel awesome.
6. Ask about something specific in their life – People appreciate when others remember details about their lives or show interest by asking questions. Follow up with someone you’ve only talked to once and ask how their kids or doing or ask how their work has been going. It makes those around us feel extra important.
7. Smile – The simplicity of a smile can never be underestimated. It’s a quick and easy gesture, but it can be done in passing and requires no words. Yet it’s a powerful way to make someone feel great!
8. Encourage them – A positive word of encouragement is a helpful way to let someone know they are doing a good job. Tell your friend that she is doing the best she can as a single mom and she is a great mother, while also still providing for her children. Tell your co-worker that, despite his mistakes, he’s still got a great attitude and everything will get better.
9. Tell a joke – Get someone to laugh and you will have them feeling the effects even several minutes later. It’s a great bonding tool, it will help you both feel good, and it will make their day more awesome and more fun!
10. Share your story – What do you have to share with the world? Are you someone with an interesting career? Do you have a whimsical, but wise story about your life? There’s someone out there who needs your advice and insight. Be that guide and share what you know and have experienced.