“For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Having peace is something that can be compared to a tranquil ocean, an amazing sunrise, or a serene forest.
Getting mental peace is not always easy, especially with the kind of fast-paced lives we have. We don’t always have time to think, let alone be completely at peace. Sometimes we need to shut down everything around us and simply breathe so we connect with our inner selves.
Once you find that mental peace, you are able to find a little more happiness and a little less anxiety. Here are five simple steps for feeling more peaceful beginning today.
1. Reduce stress. Find a way to reduce stress from your life. If you are carrying heavy burdens, learn to let them go. The burdens could be due to work, household chores, or bills. Whatever it is, relax yourself by shedding some of the load.
2. Pamper yourself. At least once a month, you should get time to pamper yourself. Eat at a restaurant you like, get a spa treatment or body massage, or watch a movie with your loved one. This is to get your mind off work and other tensions in life. Don’t think of anything else but what you are enjoying at the moment.
3. Discover your feelings. Without knowing how you feel about life and those around you, you will not be able to feel peace. Find out what you love and discover the things you cannot live without by closing your eyes and thinking about your life. Fantasize or dream of what peace means to you.
4. Find something to do. While work triggers stress, a hobby or pastime is something that relieves that pressure. Find out what you love to do in your free time. Is it a hobby like gardening or a skill like crafting or jewelry making that makes you happy and satisfied? Whatever it is, get some time to practice it on a daily basis.
5. Don’t think of future. Planning about the future often makes us distressed and unhappy. This is because plans and dreams are not always realized no matter how hard we try. It’s better to enjoy the present and value what we have at this time instead of dreaming of something impossible or extremely hard to achieve. Live your life one day at a time and see how peaceful you really feel.
About Alex Blackwell