““We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.” – Sam Keen
After more than 28 years of marriage, I’ve told me wife, “I love you” over a million times. Every time I say these words I mean them with a genuineness that lives deep in my heart.
I start the day, end the day and often send a text message during the day that reminds Mary Beth “I love you.”
Saying the words never gets tiring, and neither does showing my wife how much I care. In between the words are my actions that convey the same heartfelt sentiment. The best thing about these actions is they don’t take a lot of effort – just the presence of mind to remember to do them.
The next time you want to follow up your “I love yous” with some actions of your own, try these 20 small ways to show love everyday:
1. Take time to send a quick, “I’m thinking of you” text message or email.
2. Hold hands every chance you get.
3. Teach one other. Learn from one other.
4. Cheer for your husband; let him know you are his biggest fan.
5. Apologize to your wife when you know you are wrong.
6. Make big decisions together.
7. When your feelings have been hurt, speak the truth in love; not hate.
8. Admit your mistakes.
9. Show grace when the mistakes are admitted – and then provide forgiveness.
10. Be your partner’s defender; but not his enabler.
11. Don’t criticize her ideas.
12. See the beauty in everything you create.
13. Focus on her needs first.
14. Give him your attention when it’s requested.
15. Keep your word.
16. Respect what’s important to the other.
17. Say, “I love you,” three times a day.
18. Give a little space when it’s requested.
19. Play together.
20. Don’t keep score of the small things you do.