Beliefnet
Doing Life Together

lipsYou look at him across a crowded room, your eyes meet. You move towards him, and embrace.

He’s the love of your life and reaches down to kiss you.

WAIT….Stop the script. Could that kiss be toxic?

Yes, according to a study at the University of California-Berkeley’s School of Public Health.  They tested 32 brands of lipsticks and glosses and found lead, cadmium, chromium, aluminum and five other  metals, some that could be toxic! The concern is over the level of metals in the lipsticks/glosses. Some were toxic enough to pose health risks in the long run. The issue here is that users ingest and absorb the substances that have been tied to such risks as stomach tumors. The heavier user you are, the more of the toxic metals you ingest.

The advice of the researchers. Don’t panic but use your lipstick sparingly.

I would also think twice about letting young children play with lipstick and use it as well.

The counter argument is that these metals occur nationally in our air, soil and water and impact our food. Toxicologist Linda Loretz says exposure from lip products is minimal compared to metals in food we ingest from our diet.

For me, now that I know, I’m going with bare lips more often!

 

Source: USA TODAY, Lipstick study opens up concerns about carcinogen, Health and Wellness, May 2, 2013

 

 

 

 

Advertisement

Previous Posts
Join the Discussion
comments powered by Disqus