I asked, “Because this is their only option?” Then I realized, Hey, he is only the messenger!
Like many of you, I run a small business. I understand cutting business costs. The federal government will make you crazy! Maybe the new DSM V should add Federal Government Neurosis! as a new diagnosis!
1) Did you know that the NFL, NHL and PGA are non-profit organizations? Don’t choke on your popcorn, but these organizations qualify for major federal tax exemptions. I guess because they bring in so little money! Only $184 million from the NFL in 2010 for example.
2) With a growing obesity epidemic, the federal government allows food stamp users (SNAP) to purchase junk food. It is estimated that approximately 2.5 billion dollars will be spent on foods that are not nutritious. Items like sugary drinks contribute to obesity –another tax payer burden! Yet, more than 2 billion dollars will be spent on these items in a year according to a study by Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity. So the kids who need good nutrition are often getting junk food and sugary beverages with tax payer dollars. Then we turn around and allocate more money to treat the obesity that results from poor eating habits. Seems like a good place to look at reform instead of creating new programs.
3) My favorite–$325,000 National Science Foundation (NSF) grant to build robotic squirrels. A real need, especially when our vets can’t get services. Save the Squirrels!
4) 2 million annually to fund phantom government grant accounts. PHANTOM is the key word here. The accounts are empty and have expired. Hey, for a small fee, I’ll close these accounts or better yet, get some out of work college business graduate who can do it!
5) The Prom Video Game. So needed and funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation. My dad can’t get his claim paid but my daughter can relive her prom glory everyday through playing PROM WEEK!