Here are six tips to help you transition during any change:
1) Embrace the change. Stop wishing things were the same. If you are in the middle of a change, don’t fight it, embrace it.
2) Change your thoughts from negative to positive. Instead of thinking of all the negatives and what could go wrong with change, shift your thinking to the positives. Intentionally focus on the up side of change and your attitude will improve.
3) Look at this as a new challenge versus an imposition or negative. Change means new opportunities. And novelty is good for brain health.
4) Calm down. A few deep breaths and muscle relaxation if the stress is building. Read your Bible and quiet yourself for a few minutes each morning. “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.” When we face difficult change, God is with us to walk us through the stress and circumstance.
5) Problem-solve. How can I make this change work for me. Generate a few simple solutions. Think through ways to optimize the opportunity.
6) Live in the moment. Instead of thinking about what was lost, just roll with it and see where the changes takes you. Don’t anticipate all the problems. Stop. Refocus on now. Relax, embrace the moment. Focus on the benefits.
In the end, we can fight change or embrace it. And when we embrace it, we usually grow.