Shocked, Robert knew things were a little rocky in the relationship for the past few years, but end the relationship? Honestly, he didn’t see it coming.
Did he miss the signs?
Yes, here is what he overlooked:
1) Sarah had checked out emotionally.
2) Sarah and Robert spent a lot of time distracting themselves from each other versus spending time together.
3) When conflict came up, they didn’t discuss it.
4) They didn’t address the lost love they were feeling until it was too late.
5) They never considered going to a couple therapist to see if they could work on the emotional bond.
6) One partner was completely unaware of how deeply upset the other was–they were out of touch with their emotional lives.
7) They never talked about the future.
8) Needs were not communicated and not being met.
9) Fighting led to bad feelings that never were repaired.
10) Both felt emotionally distant but didn’t address it.
Don’t overlook the signs of relationship trouble. Talk to your partner and ask how things are going. If you need help, seek couple therapy. It works when people are willing to address their issues.