The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

What if you were shopping…

posted by jmcgee

…and suddenly everybody did THIS (see below)?

It happened at Macy’s last weekend, when 600 members of the Opera Company of Philadelphia, mingling with the other shoppers, unexpectedly burst into the “Hallelujah!” chorus. Just watch and try not to smile.

Daniel formerly from Knoxville

posted November 5, 2010 at 7:32 am

I’m surprised that some Politically Correct Zealot didn’t bring down the collective wrath of the Almighty ACLU on Macy’s & The Opera Company of Philadelphia, in an era when even saying ” Merry Christmas ” is looked down on, & use of a more generic ” Happy Holidays ” is encouraged.
P.C. started out as a good idea involving simple respect for the differences between the different ethnic, religious, social, economic, generational, etc., groups in this country & overseas, & now it’s gotten blown out of all reasonable proportion.
Still, ” The Hallelujah Chorus ” is a masterpiece of sacred music & simply great music, PERIOD.

maryann moon

posted November 5, 2010 at 8:21 am

It seems to me whether we realize it or not, humanity at a rather collective level, is waking up
to the Sacred Truth that life on Earth is a most wondrous miracle.
We can’t continue sleepwalking any longer!

Judi

posted November 5, 2010 at 9:22 am

Try not to smile….are you kidding? I smiled and sang along! Gives me a great idea for this holiday season…I’m a member of a choir…..hmmmmm!

Bro. Vic

posted November 5, 2010 at 11:26 am

“Try no to smile…”, I tried but ended up with joyful tears. Alleluia indeed!!!

gustave verdult

posted November 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm

If only we realize that everything here ends with the grave and the only thing of importance is the eternal afterlife with God.

maryann moon

posted November 5, 2010 at 7:38 pm

This truly makes one’s heart smile !! Is not Life on Earth a most amazing miracle?
We’d all love to have been there.

Daniel formerly from Knoxville

posted November 6, 2010 at 5:57 am

maryann –
I couldn’t agree with you more ! We seem to take our time on this planet for granted & not realize that every day is a sacred gift, because we get caught under an ever – more massive pile of ” stuff ” = bills, doctor visits, sick relatives, getting the latest product from Apple or Best Buy, magazine subscriptions, etc.
We forget the IMPORTANT things that are food for the soul because we let so much of the other ” stuff “. It’s that simple, unfortunately.

Your Name

posted November 6, 2010 at 9:19 pm

This is just one more example of the fact that we really do love Christ and each other.

Jean Persio

posted November 7, 2010 at 10:15 am

“Ditto” to all of the above!! Wish I could have been there!

Lois Flanagan

posted November 19, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Yes—He shall reign and that will never change! Praise God!! What an exceptional way for me to start my day, with goose bumps and tears of joy and the gates of heaven so evident! Wonderful way to celebrate in anticipation of His future coming. Would have loved to have been singing with them!! so magnificent!

Priscilla Anthony

posted November 23, 2010 at 7:20 am

WONDERFUL! GLORIOUS!
MAY THE LORD’S NAME BE PRAISED AND HONORED IN ALL THE MALLS
AND HALLS IN THESE UNITED STATES.
GOD BLESS ALL THOSE WHO OPENED THEIR MOUTHS AT MACY’S.
LET US SING OF THE REASON FOR THIS SEASON – THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
PRISCILLA ANTHONY

PRISCILLA ANTHONY, HOUSTON

posted November 23, 2010 at 7:23 am

WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE TO JOIN THE JOYFUL SINGERS.

CHARLENE ANN MOORE

posted November 24, 2010 at 11:16 am

I WISH I HAD BEEN THERE. WHAT A GREAT THING TO HEAR AND SEE

Kathleen Watt, Bothell

posted November 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm

It did my heart wonders to hear such glorious sounds. I truly wished that I could have been there to hear it. Thank you for this at time when we really need to see and hear his word in action!! Blessed be those who gave this gift to all of us.

Edna Carroll

posted December 10, 2010 at 12:24 pm

What a beautiful way to celebrate the Birth of Jesus. The shoppers stood at attention.

Ed Kydd

posted April 26, 2011 at 9:37 pm

A wonderful tribute to the One who has contributed so much to make our lies so wonderful.