The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Pakistani Christian sentenced to death for “blasphemy”

posted by jmcgee

Details, from the British paper the Telegraph:

A Christian woman has been sentenced to hang in Pakistan after being convicted of defaming the Prophet Mohammed.

Asia-Bibi-_1758048c.jpgAsia Bibi, a 45-year-old mother-of-five, denies blasphemy and told investigators that she was being persecuted for her faith in a country where Christians face routine harassment and discrimination.

Christian groups and human rights campaigners condemned the verdict and called for the blasphemy laws to be repealed.

Her supporters say she will now appeal against the sentence handed down in a local court in the town of Sheikhupura, near Lahore, Pakistan.

Ashiq Masih, her husband, said he had not had the heart to break the news to two of their children.

“I haven’t told two of my younger daughters about the court’s decision,” he said. “They asked me many times about their mother but I can’t get the courage to tell them that the judge has sentenced their mother to capital punishment for a crime she never committed.” Mrs Bibi has been held in prison since June last year.

The court heard she had been working as a farmhand in fields with other women, when she was asked to fetch drinking water.

Some of the other women – all Muslims – refused to drink the water as it had been brought by a Christian and was therefore “unclean”, according to Mrs Bibi’s evidence, sparking a row.

The incident was forgotten until a few days later when Mrs Bibi said she was set upon by a mob.

The police were called and took her to a police station for her own safety.

Shahzad Kamran, of the Sharing Life Ministry Pakistan, said: “The police were under pressure from this Muslim mob, including clerics, asking for Asia to be killed because she had spoken ill of the Prophet Mohammed.

“So after the police saved her life they then registered a blasphemy case against her.” He added that she had been held in isolation for more than a year before being sentenced to death on Monday.

Read more here.

white tiger

posted November 10, 2010 at 8:28 am

Islam is an international, criminal conspiracy to overthrow the government of the USA by deception, fear and force. It masquerades as a religion; founded by a childmolesting mass murderer, robber, polygamist and psychopath.Its tenets are: kill, rob, torture, rape and God will reward you eternally.Islam is evil theologized.
If we do not criminalize this pagan, satanic system it will soon destroy us. Read the koran. After vomiting, attack Islam every legal and moral way you can! Or your descendants will be slaves to it.

Klaire

posted November 10, 2010 at 9:38 am

Isn’t it interesting that our President, even currently among the Moslems, has not uttered a word against the Muslem Christian killings?
As I often wrote, actions speak louder than words. So much for our ‘Christian President who speaks so highly of tolerance’.
Once again a clear example of “when life isn’trespected in the womb, don’t expect it to be anywhere else, unless of course, it fits an agenda.”

HMS

posted November 10, 2010 at 10:57 am

Klaire:
And what may I ask is YOUR agenda?
to pick apart everything this president does and says and relate it to the Abortion issue?
Not fair and balanced.

Gerard Nadal

posted November 10, 2010 at 11:43 am

There must be a mistake in all of this. Islam means ‘peace’.

Klaire

posted November 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Glad you asked HMS. My agenda is to protect the dignity of every human life, and that’s just for starters. However, if we get that right, much will follow.
As for Obama, he’s the president of the free world for crying out loud, and deserves to be called out on his shortcomings, especially as innocent Christians get slaughtered while one of the most powerful men on the face of the planet stays silent.

Tiffany

posted November 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm

If there is anything that can be done to help this woman’s life to be spared I suggest we act quickly.

Klaire

posted November 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Tiffany I doubt it would take more than Obama asking to have it stopped, the right thing to do for a ‘fellow Christian’ don’t ya think?
Of course Pope Benedict will denounce, but he will be ignored.

Deacon John M. Bresnahan

posted November 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Laura Ingraham (a Catholic convert), on her morning talk radio show, read off a long list of Christians persecuted or butchered(including the beheading of 3 Christian school girls) by Moslem activists in Indonesia. She also played tapes of President Obama’s gushing, repeated praises for how wonderfully Indonesia lives diversity. I might ask–Who informs him??What planet is he on???
Of course, I haven’t read or heard Laura’s list mentioned anywhere in the mainstream media–although I found confirmation of many of the horrors she listed on a number of internet sites.

Roger

posted November 10, 2010 at 8:12 pm

C’mon Obama.
Show us you stick up for fellow Christians instead of trying to appease muslims all the time.
Appeal to the “Religion of peace” for tolerance and mercy and show the world how wrong we are
and remind Pakistan how much aid was donated by christians from the U.S. for there flood relief!!

HMS

posted November 10, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Good Point, Roger.
I recall George Bush referred to Islam as a religion of peace on several occasions.

Mike

posted November 11, 2010 at 3:39 am

Maybe that liberal judge in Oklahoma should go defend this woman.

Daniel formerly from Knoxville

posted November 11, 2010 at 7:28 am

There’s some kind of BIZARRE double – Standard at work here. Western countries have to be PC, respectful of, & kowtow in deference to, Moslem culture & religion, but do you think that they’d allow a Christian church or Jewish synagogue in a place like, say, Mecca or Medina ? Much less a Hindu or Buddhist temple ? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
YOU WILL NEVER SEE a statue of the Virgin Mary or Jesus there, much less a copy of the Decalogue in Hebrew characters or an image of Shiva or the Buddha.
PC & Islamic culture is like fire & water or matter & anti – matter, they don’t coexist.

Klaire

posted November 11, 2010 at 7:49 am

Actually Dan, the Muslems LOVE the Virgin Mary (also a fan of Jesus just don’t believe in His divinity). Not only is she the “highest” women in Islam and the Koran, but they even believe in the Immaculate Conception and the virgin birth.
Back in 1952, Bishop Sheen wrote a powerful chapter warning of the Muslims, in his book, The World’s First Love. I think you and many will find it fascinating, especailly the role Mary plays in Islam. If there is ever going to be an Islamic conversion to Christianity, no doubt it will be the Virgin Mary who will bring them to Jesus.
I was happy to find it recently on line. This is a great read!
Also, do know that “political” Islam is a far cry from the real deal.

Daniel formerly from Knoxville

posted November 11, 2010 at 8:05 am

Klaire -
Hmmm. I DO seem to remember reading that Mary is revered in Islam, & that Jesus is regarded as a prophet in Islam. I had no idea that Moslems believed in the Immaculate Conception & / or the virgin birth, because they believe that God couldn’t have a Son.
& I know that not all Moslems are screaming, bomb – throwing, machine – gun – toting, fanatics who are out to kill all infidels that they can’t convert, but Western society ( I’m looking at you, United Kingdom !! ) has readily made concessions to Moslems & had to pay a price for it. Can America & Canada be far behind ?
Thanks for the link, I’ll look at it.

HMS

posted November 11, 2010 at 8:35 am

A personal anecdote:
A few years back I taught in a teacher training program in Lagos, Nigeria. It was an ecumenical endeavor. (Each week the Christian students took one class in the Islam religion and the Muslim students took a class in Christian beliefs.) Near the end of the semester, the Christian students organized a Rosary Novena. I noticed that a very devout Muslim was participating. I asked her about it. She said: “It’s exam time and I need all the help I can get.”

Kathy

posted November 11, 2010 at 8:44 am

Over and over again, Islam demonstrates what a brutal, Dark Ages monstrosity it really is. Yet there are still Americans who think we should give it a place in our society. There is no place for Islam in any free nation that values both life and reason.

Klaire

posted November 11, 2010 at 10:10 am

That’s a great story HMS, thanks for sharing it! If I’m ever on the chopping block for a Muslem beheading (and I don’t mean any disrespect for those who have actually been horrificly beheaded), I plan to invoke “Jesus via Sayyida” If the killer is actually beheading in the name of “Allah”, it could only make sense that “Allah” would not approve of killing one who cries out to Sayyida, “the lady”, unless of course, it’s “hijacked Islam.”
Dan, since part of the Koran (depite it being a heratical religion) is actually based on Divine Revelation, it’s not that much of a stretch to “connect the dots”, so to speak. If anyone CAN connect those dots, it will be Mary (of course via Jesus).
Pope Benedict recently said some rather “prophetic” things (albeit more interesting I think with a bit of history and reading between the lines) during his Fatima trip that give me much hope that Mary’s Immaculate Heart will Triump soon enough, and I couldn’t imagine that it won’t involve Islam.
Can we even imagine a world where Islam becomes Christian? Wow. The whole Fatima/Muslem thing is simply fascinating. I read all that I can find on it.

Jeremy Mather

posted November 11, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I find it sad that a religion(so called) that has to KILL all those who are not of that faith or who speaks up against it. Smacks of dictatorship tp me, no free will.

Daniel formerly from Knoxville

posted November 11, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Klaire -
I admire your idealism, but remember that Islam is a religion that’s been hijacked by militants who would probably just as soon machine – gun us to death or blow us to bits – along with themselves – as look at us. They want to slide back into the Dark Ages, where women are property, any minor infraction is punishable by DEATH ( in most cases ), infidels are killed if they’re not converted, the sexes are separated in public, etc.