The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

O’Donnell: “Pray that the eyes of the voters be opened”

posted by jmcgee

PX00110_91.jpg “God is the reason that I’m running. If I didn’t believe that there were a cause greater than myself worth fighting for, if I didn’t believe that it takes a complete dying of self to make things right in this Election cycle I would not be running and when you die to yourself you rely on a power greater than yourself so prayer is what’s gotten us all through. The day that we saw a spike in the polls was a day that some people had a prayer meeting for me that morning for this campaign so I believe that prayer plays a direct role in this campaign and I always ask please pray for the campaign; please pray for our staff; please pray specifically that the eyes of the voters be opened.”

– Delaware Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell, quoted here.
There’s much more. Check it out.

Katherine

posted October 27, 2010 at 9:16 am

Thank you, Christine. I think I was one of the people praying that you would be the Republican nominee! :)

Frank

posted October 27, 2010 at 10:53 am

The eyes of the voters have been opened. they’ve seen Christine for the Lunachick she is.

GT

posted October 27, 2010 at 11:17 am

Like her or not, I am impressed with her publicly spoken spirituality. Nearly unheard of in this age by any politician.

Grumpy Old Person

posted October 27, 2010 at 1:45 pm

‘Nearly unheard of … by any politician”???
B.S.!
Taking just presidential candidates, nevermind House of Senate candidates:
Religiosity tumbled out of the mouth of George W(armonger) Bush to the point of puke-making.
Mr. Obama was put to a religious test when he had to denounce his former United Church pastor because of the truths he dared speak. And then again by being forced to deny he’s a Muslim by all the (presumably same) people who seem to have forgotten Obama’s 20-year membership in that particular Church.
Clinton was observed attending church innumerable times.
Mitt Romney is an ‘out’, devout Mormon.
Parson Huckabee???
Pat Buchanan and the self-described “moral” “majority”???
Et cetera.
Sorry, GT, but yours is just another typically selective memory when it comes to just how much Americans make their politicians spout God-talk when there’s not supposed to BE religious tests in the first place.
I pray your ‘eyes be opened’ to a few inconvenient truths.

Josh - Mob

posted October 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm

This woman is an idiot and the people voting for her simply because she is using prayer and faith as a front to gain votes are just as stupid. Not knocking Christianity, but she’s just doing and saying anything she can to get elected. Enough bs already. Geez.

pagansister

posted October 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm

One can always “pray” she loses. Perhaps her god has that plan already worked out and hasn’t told her yet.

Megan

posted October 28, 2010 at 12:02 am

I see these people say things like this all the time, about people “opening their eyes.” The insinuation seems to be that someone couldn’t possibly disagree with them on merits, they must just not be paying attention. How arrogant! I am so turned off by all of this, that I decided to not vote at all and this would be my first real election being old enough to vote. I just don’t think anyone wants anything to change, no matter what they claim, because they want to be able to hate each other for their disagreements. Politics just disgusts me right now.

LR

posted October 28, 2010 at 2:05 am

“…a prince ought to take care that he never lets
anything slip from his lips that is not replete with the above-named
five qualities, that he may APPEAR to him who sees and hears him
altogether MERCIFUL, FAITHFUL, HUMANE, UPRIGHT, and RELIGIOUS. There
is nothing more necessary to APPEAR to have than this last quality.”
–Niccolo Machievelli, “The Prince”, Chapter 18.
Emphasis my own.

jcd

posted October 28, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Song:”I’m not a witch”

pagansister

posted October 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Megan, I understand your frustration, but by NOT voting you are contributing to the problem. I too am put off with a lot of the current campaigns, but am going to vote anyhow, first because it is a right I appreciate, but maybe the person(s) I mark the ballot for will actually get elected. (seem to have the habit of voting for the not most popular person!).

Pastor Billie Wilson

posted October 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm

True CHRISTENS understand what Christine O’Donnell is talking about. She is exibeting what true FAITH is all about.She understandes our heavenly FATHER GOD has a plan for all our lives. I believe he wants us to ellect his cnild Christine. She will stand up for HIS PEOPLE, for the constitution and the soveranty of the U.S.A. THANK GOD for ALL OUR BLESSINGS,GOD PROTECT US FROM ALL WHO WOULD HARM US,GOD BLESS AMERICA and ALL HER PATRIOTS

pagansister

posted October 28, 2010 at 7:02 pm

If she is an example of what true FAITH is all about we’re all in a lot of trouble! If I lived in her state—no way I’d vote to put her in office.

820315