The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Hey, you’ve just been rescued from a mine shaft after 70 days! What are you gonna do?

posted by jmcgee

This guy’s not going to Disneyland. Not yet.

capt.3240b1eaf2a844f9be884f6e8e224160-3240b1eaf2a844f9be884f6e8e224160-0.jpgChilean miner Esteban Rojas, 44, gets on his knees to pray after being rescued from the collapsed San Jose gold and copper mine, near Copiapo, Chile, Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010. Rojas was the eighteenth of the 33 miners rescued from the mine after more than two months trapped underground.

Joe

posted October 13, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I have been glued to my tv watching the rescue of the miners. Each man is wearing a shirt containing a Bible verse and prayer to the glory of God. One lady waiting for her loved one clutched a large cloth image of our Lady of Guadalupe — on this, the date of our Lady of Fatima’s visit, October 13th. To see the President of Chile praying and blessing himself last night before the arrival of the first miner was inspiring. This is truly a great day for the country of Chile and the world! May Jesus Christ be praised!

pagansister

posted October 13, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I think I’d head for the warmest shower I could find after being rescued from a situation like that. Am truly happy that things are going as well as they are and the men so far have been brought up safely.

Mary

posted October 14, 2010 at 2:40 am

Joe – I noticed that those men in the tan T shirts had “Gracias Senor! on the front and “Jesus” on the left sleeve. I never was able to read the writing on the back and have wondered when someone who post what it said. Eventually someone will.

clasqm

posted October 14, 2010 at 4:53 am

For people trapped underground for two months, they look remarkably clean (not to mention clean-shaven). A sprucing-up station a few meters below the surface, perhaps?

Tom

posted October 14, 2010 at 8:14 am

The back of the shirt is Psalm 95:4. Yeah, they win the prize on promoting Catholicism for the week.

jedesto

posted October 14, 2010 at 11:09 am

Tom,
So it’s all an act, huh?

Harold Seger

posted October 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

To pagansister, they were in a mine at 90+ degrees F ..they probably want an cool shower.
to clasqm, they used the spring water as a shower …water always present in deep mines…and ask for shoe polish ans shaving kits…
they take pride in looking clean and presentable for their family.
Likewise the wives and relatives dressed in Sunday best to meet them.
Basic, conservatism.
If you don’t choose to watch and learn, why open your mouth…it jsut shows your ignorance….

DcnDon

posted October 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Whatever our personal beliefs we can be thankful that all the miners (as well as those who volunteered to take the long trip down to assist them) have in effect been born to a new life.
It’s worth remembering the comment by Jimmy Sanchez that Deacon Greg brought to us here, that “There are actually 34 of us, because God has never left us down here.”
Sometimes it can be easy to discount or dismiss pious statements made in times of crisis as a vent for stress-driven emotions, but for those live through those times it’s so much deeper than that.
Some time ago in a Life in The Spirit Seminar, I heard a man talk of his life of repeated physical and sexual abuse as a young child, and how at such a tender age he concluded “I was told God loved children, but I guess that didn’t include me.” Sadly, it’s not a unique story. But many years later, when through the help of others he was able to find God, he offered this: “I can see now that God was with me all those years ago. But it was my suffering Saviour who was there, right beside me, sharing my humiliation and suffering, understanding as only a victim can.”
Even in the darkest of hours God *will* find a way. The challenge for humanity is to be sensitive enough to the Spirit to recognize it. Sometimes in the moment, other times after the fact.
God bless.

Jett

posted October 14, 2010 at 3:15 pm

As I watched the miners being rescued I couldn’t but to think of the capsule of suffering which God offers to all of us to be pulled up to real life eternal. I couldn’t but to think that like those miners we are down here in this valley of tears, waiting to be rescued by the sufferings of Christ… as long as we are ready to jump on board an offer our sufferings. and like Jimmy Sanchez said is good to know God is with us in the process…

Your NameJock

posted October 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Like David of old He could give thanks. WE have much in outr loves to be thankfull for.God Loves Us all .God seeks us Behold I stand at the door and knocks.We have the Bible in or own language or most of us have.
If we lve close to God we can find daily His Blessings
So give thanks with a cheerful Heart.
Jock

Anna Maria

posted October 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Beautiful photo! Thanks be to God!

The Reverend Doctor Victoria A. Howard

posted October 14, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Congratulations to the rescued miners! I prayed hard for them and combined with the prayers of people all around the world, and the fantastic assistance of the team, we all saved the day! Somebody cared – whoosh!

pagansister

posted October 14, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Good point, Harold, cool shower. OK, so I’d head for a COOL shower. :o)

Your NameDominic Obayuwana

posted October 15, 2010 at 5:13 am

Bravo what other evidence do we need to prove Gods existence. But I think it will not be like the ten leppers cleanced by Jesus)

Maria Horvath

posted October 15, 2010 at 1:05 pm

On the back of their shirts:
In his hands are the depths of the earth,
and the peaks of the mountains are his.
~ Psalm 95:4

Katherine Swift

posted February 19, 2011 at 3:13 am

It was certainly interesting for me to read the post. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on this blog soon.
Katherine Swift
indian girls London

Jenny Swift

posted March 18, 2011 at 2:39 pm

It is extremely interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on this blog soon.
Jenny Swift
escorts services roma

Your Name

posted November 28, 2011 at 4:26 am

Nice article as for me. It would be great to read something more concerning that topic. Thank you for posting that information