The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Boehner: “I’ve been praying all day, every day”

posted by jmcgee

With the election just a couple days away, the man who is hoping to be the next Speaker of the House of Representatives had a few things to say recently about prayer:

boehner.jpgHouse Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) has a grueling schedule, but election-year politics are not getting in the way of his prayer routine.

“I’ve been praying all day, every day,” Boehner told conservative radio host Mike Gallagher this week. “Trying to make it through this election and make sure our team is successful.”

Boehner is a practicing Roman Catholic, and has in the past joined with Democrats, notably the late Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), to support Catholic charities.

“[Prayer] does work,” Boehner told the host. “You’ve just got to stay at it every day and build a closer relationship with our Savior.”

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who is also Catholic, told Fox News in 2007 that she prays for many things and people, including then-President George W. Bush. But, Pelosi said, she was taught that she should not pray for a political outcome.

Read more.

man of color

posted October 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Does he pray all day in a suntan parlor, or is that tan just from the light of the lord?

leah

posted October 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm

to “color man” – he has brothers and sisters that are the same “color” as him…..did you get yours from the sun????

sensiblethoughts4u

posted October 30, 2010 at 11:50 pm

God answers prayer for those who are TRUE CHRISTIANS – NOT the phony hypocrites who invoke God’s name for show! I pray that God will allow the Democrats to get back in because the hate-filled Republicans will cause so much harm and grief for so many Americans. They are greedy, war-mongering liars who hate everyone who is different from them, especially the poor. They are only interested in furthering their own interests and not in what’s good for the country and its citizens. We can’t allow them to play with God’s power nor invoke hate on His people and lands.
Dear God, please use Your infinite wisdom to move people to get out there and vote for the best candidates. Please allow those to see the hatred in those and the insincerity and greed in those who would only wreak havoc on the lives of so many. This I ask in Your Holy Name. Amen

pagansister

posted October 31, 2010 at 9:46 am

Wonder if Boehner is getting the answers he wants? IF not, is that because he didn’t pray hard enough or God has other ideas?

RomCath

posted October 31, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I am sure he will get what he and others are praying for– come Tuesday you will see a lot of changes.

Henrietta22

posted October 31, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Most of the republicans have used prayer, God, etc. publicly in talks to the media to emphasize how important religion is in their politics to their followers, that feel the same, and will vote for them because of this one factor, instead of what they should be paying attention to; what is this person going to do about the problems of American Democracy? Sad when you have to revert to bringing into the public what should be kept personal instead of flaunting your religion. Does God approve of show-offs? or does God have more approval for the acts, and the reasons of these political players trying to get back into the drivers seat in Congress? I’m sure that some of them think they are doing good, and I may not agree that they are doing good. And the world keeps turning.

Tom

posted October 31, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Interesting that you should bring this topic up, Henrietta. I’m not against it personally, but I wonder how you feel when the shoe’s on the other foot.

HM

posted November 1, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I doubt that he is praying for the same things that I am!

Pamela

posted November 3, 2010 at 10:55 am

Boehner has joined with Democrats to support Catholic Charities? What nonsense is this? Surely you are not implying that all Catholic Charities are somehow a Democrat/progressive cause? I think you may be confusing it with the CCHD (Catholic Campaign for Human Development) that has had such bad press (and rightly so) lately. Catholic Charities provide clothes and food for the poor, adoption services (until they are forced to shut down rather than place innocent children with homosexuals) and many other worthy CHRISTIAN services. You don’t get more anti-party of death/Democrat than I, and I support “Catholic Charities”. Reading this, one might get the feeling the author has some anti-Catholic bias thing going. Sheesh. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt and hope it is merely misunderstanding/ignorance that is behind this. Pax.

Pamela

posted November 3, 2010 at 10:56 am

Oh, wow, I just saw that a Catholic Deacon posted this. Now I’m really confused.

luke1_28

posted November 3, 2010 at 11:00 am

@pagansister and other bigots:
Prayer does not so much change an absolute God – as much as prayer has the potential to absolutely change us. I would advise you not to close your mind by assuming that Christians have this simplistic view of how their God relates with them, which I would assume you subscribe to judging by your handle and comments.
Prayer is, to Christians with a healthy and developed faith life, not some algebraic equation we must solve or formula we need to concoct in order to get what we want. Nor do answered prayers correlate to the amount we put in the collection plate. Those are all just silly beliefs that some Christians improperly formed in their faith subscribe to. Then weak minded people subscribe to this by observing those Christians because of the convenience of it. They don’t, nor care to, form a real reasoned and logical opinion on their own because it just might require a little effort on their part to not be so asinine.
While it’s true that prayer takes on many forms – the motivation for any prayer should first be to seek a deeper relationship with God the Father and NOT just a child asking for something it wants. Anyone who prays just to get something, merits little in deepening their relationship with the Father and prayer becomes a negative experience being disappointed in the results.
The perception of who God is to us personally, will always be revealed in the how, what, and why of our prayer. Now one thing that amuses me, is that the article above doesn’t mention why, explicitly how, or for what Boehner prays….but mentions only that he does, he prays often, and is persistent at keeping it in his routine. Yet judging by the narrow minded comments, you can see the bigoted attitudes of the trolls who have subscribed to anti-Christian beliefs that are so tired, that you wonder if they can think on their own.
Give it a rest already….
God bless,
Luke1_28

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted November 3, 2010 at 11:35 am

Pamela …
The story I posted was from an outside source, and you’ll note that “Catholic charities” is not “Catholic Charities.” Boehner and Kennedy together hosted the annual Boehner-Kennedy Dinner to support Catholic education. You can read more about it at this link.
Dcn. G.

SCK

posted November 3, 2010 at 11:45 am

Oh Luke 1_28 – How mistaken you are!
God governs the world, and prayer governs God.
How you can so narrowly assume that only certain prayers YOU deem as good – are answered, and prayers for a personal favor are not good, and therefore not answered. Your view of God, and how much we are loved and cared for by Him – are miopic. His love is enormous! And He will hear and answer the smallest prayer, just as easily as He will answer the biggest one. That’s just how much we are loved. Anyone who has prayed for both small and large favors already knows that. I do.
“More things have been wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.” (Tennyson) – including YOU.

luke1_28

posted November 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm

SCK – please re-read. I don’t need catechized – at least in this particular instance ;). I pray all the time too. We’re on the same team. I never said God doesn’t answer prayers but maybe YOUR myopic perception of what it was that I said, facilitated your prejudiced response. I have had prayers answered as well and can recall one that was quite miraculous . So please, read a bit more thoroughly AND in the context of who I am addressing this to.
In being charitable though, and out of service to the Church, I am going to try to help you out. While I will say that “God governs the world, and prayer governs God” has meaning for those of us who understand, it baffles others, and creates a simplistic view of what it is that Christians believe about the supernatural reality of how God interacts with His children. While this supernatural reality is simple for God to understand, and for us to accept because we have been taught how to understand it, those who haven’t come to believe won’t ever understand it in their feeling and emotion driven life experiences.
Maybe back in a time and place when illiteracy was the norm, and men were not so bold, those quips worked wonders and “God governs the world but prayer governs God” might have had an effect. But are we not, in this time more than any other, sent out as sheep among these wolves? Called to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves?
Therefore, we MUST think before we respond! If we are going to be an apologist, giving reasons for the hope that is in us, we MUST use Faith AND Reason SCK….for they are like two wings on a bird. The bird cannot fly without one or the other, but only soars with both. I was taught that if you do better to formulate your response, then your subject will be left with better follow up questions and less canned answers. Am I perfect….ummmm…..no! ;)
God bless,
Luke1_28

Noreen

posted November 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Oh, so Ms. Pelosi was taught not to pray for political outcomes. That’s bunk. We are taught to pray without ceasing. God lisens to all prayers. But then maybe because Pelosi votes pro-abortion, He doesn’t listen to her prayers. What a damn hypocrite!! She sure doesn’t pray that His Will be done.
[Noreen, I can appreciate the sentiment behind your post. But you and others need to refrain from saying that you know with any certainty what people pray for, or that you know whether or not God listens to a particular person’s prayers. Dcn. G]

bee

posted November 3, 2010 at 4:34 pm

YOU CANNOT GET TO HEAVEN without prayer…..Prayer is necessary
to ask GOD for his help. I pray for the end to abortion, for good candidates, for all liberals to be exposed for what they are, and YES, GOD hears all prayer ….he may not answer like you wish…but he does hear prayer. And for your info…the only way you can get out of purgatory is if someone offers prayers for you….so I will pray for you…you sure need it.

Linda

posted November 4, 2010 at 10:44 am

Jesus said, “apart from me, you can do nothing”