The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

After abortion: “I have a story to get through to other women…”

posted by jmcgee

ABORTION1_1029 copy.jpg
From St. Louis comes this powerful story about the woman coordinating that city’s 40 Days for Life campaign:

Maria Thompson was a teenager when she became pregnant. The 18-year-old was living in Mexico City. The father, 11 years older than her, didn’t want anything to do with the baby. Her parents, as she recalled, “would not tolerate any deviation.” So when they found out she was pregnant, “I had no place to go.”

The year was 1973. Abortion was legal in Mexico, and the father of her child sent her to have an abortion. At that time, abortions were performed in the home of the doctor, Thompson recalled.

For the first several months after the abortion, Thompson said it was “very difficult for me to see a baby.” She supported a woman’s choice to have an abortion, noting “it was the thing to do.” It wasn’t until later that she realized “it was nothing but to cover the pain and anguish” of her own abortion. She also considered suicide.

Years later, Thompson married and had a child. She later became pregnant again, but lost that child through a miscarriage, an experience she said was sent to her by God.

“The child I lost in a miscarriage was the same age of the aborted child,” she recalled. “That’s when life really became worse for me. I realized what had been bothering me.”

Thompson, who had strayed from her Catholic upbringing, returned to the Church. She sought forgiveness through the Sacrament of Reconciliation and attended a retreat through Project Rachel, the Church’s ministry to those who have experienced an abortion.

Today, the member of St. Ferdinand Parish in Florissant helps organize the semi-annual 40 Days for Life campaign, an effort which calls on people of all faith backgrounds to pray and fast for an end to abortion. Among their duties, participants take turns keeping a prayer vigil outside of the local Planned Parenthood abortion facility during the 40 days of the campaign.

Thompson said she is willing to share her story with the world, because “it means the difference between a woman being lost forever and a child being saved.”

She thinks of the parable of the three servants and the one who neglects to do anything with his talents. (Matthew 25: 14-30).

“I don’t know what my talents are, but I know I have a story to get through to other women — so maybe somebody will hear and not do what I have done,” she said.

That’s just the beginning. There’s much more. Check it out.

And, for an even more powerful testimony, there’s an audio slide show that tells Maria’s story in her own words.

Henrietta22

posted October 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm

This womans story of why she thinks abortion of her first baby would then be a lesson for all women is understandable, when you consider her religious beliefs. It is sad but she is certainly not a lost person as she describes herself. All people are different, and she should be counciled to understand this fact. In our family there was only one baby conceived out of wedlock in the twenties. The father was Catholic, and the mother Episcopalian. The father and his wife had no children, and he wanted a divorce to marry the woman he had fallen in love with, but the wife would not agree. He sent his woman he wanted to marry to his relatives in a mid-west city to await their baby, but the father of unwedd woman when finding out what happened went to Chicago and brought his very much loved daughter home. They had a handsome son, but could never marry. She married but it wasn’t entirely happy, although they had a lovely little girl. The father of son died of cancer in ’39, and the mother of son died of an anurysim in ’42. Reason for story, everyone is different, and this story has always made me hold to each situation is different and should be handled by the individuales, not laws of state or country.

Samian

posted October 30, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I agree with Henrietta22.
Abortion, like war, is not for the faint of heart.
Just because Mrs. Thompson experienced “pain and anguish” at her own abortion doesn’t mean that every other woman undergoing this medical procedure will feel that same guilt.
Just because Mrs. Thompson was mentally unprepared for the abortion doesn’t mean everyone else is.
The moral of this story is get yourself ready before getting an abortion. Others who desire or need this choice shouldn’t have their rights taken away due to one person’s prevarications.

pagansister

posted October 30, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Having known several women who have had an abortion and have had no regrets afterward only proves the point that everyone experiences things differently. A termination should never be done without much contemplation and thought and education, but if that still is the option a woman chooses, she should have the legal right to have the termination. Mrs. Thompson is one example of someone who wishes she hadn’t done it, and I’m sure there are more like her. But there are also many women who, like the women I have known, who don’t regret at all.

The Unborn Baby

posted October 30, 2010 at 7:04 pm

All of the babies killed by their mothers could not be reached for comment.

NPR PRN

posted October 31, 2010 at 9:31 am

This is so sad and disturbing. As a L&D nurse allow me to state that women who have an abortion do not have a increase rate of miscarriages. It is mean and down right evil to suggest that a ever-loving God would bring new, precious life to the world just to kill it to teach the mother a lesson. How sad she feels that way, and how terrible for the Deacon to promote that idea to others. Miscarriages happen- there are medical reasons for them; they are not a testimony to the the way God feels about you any more then someone who has cancer, or arthritis, or acne is being punish for impurities.
If you would like to decrease abortions, please fight for Universal Healthcare with birth control and better support for struggling families.
[NPR...unless I missed it, nowhere does the article state that women who abort have more miscarriages. Nor am I promoting the idea that the miscarriage was God's way of teaching her a lesson. That's her interpretation, not mine. Yes, tragedies of all sorts happen to us. But very often, they are opportunities for introspection and growth, and can draw us closer to The One who made us, and who loves us, and who only desires for us eternal happiness with Him. Dcn. G.]

RomCath

posted October 31, 2010 at 1:14 pm

“Having known several women who have had an abortion and have had no regrets afterward only proves the point that everyone experiences things differently.”
Well to end a life, even what some only consider potential human life, and not have any regrets is pretty scary.
What kind of civilized people are they? Says a lot about them.

Mike L

posted October 31, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I certainly have to agree with RomCath that those who end human, or potentially human life without regrets afterward is pretty scary. Yet I read each day of another button pushed, another missile launched and another group of people killed that are named as militants, implying they are not really people, and not only do we not show regret, we celebrate a victory.
What kind of civilized people are we? Says a lot about us, doesn’t it?
Hugs,
Mike L

pagansister

posted October 31, 2010 at 5:55 pm

They are women, who did what they had to do at the time. Not that any reason would make a difference to you, RomCath, but one had contracted an illness that had been proven to cause defects in fetus’s. She chose to not take chances. She already had 2 children and after the termination had another child. One other, was married to a wife beater, who threatened her life if she carried the pregnancy to term. She since left him, and married someone else. Yes, it does say a lot about them, RomCath. They were brave enough to do what had to be done. The other 2 I knew had circumstances that they felt that that decision was the correct one. Unless one is in someone else’s shoes, one shouldn’t be condemning what a woman does. I am related by blood to 3 of the woman and marriage to one. I certainly don’t condemn their decisions. Would I have done the same thing? Have no idea, as I only had the 2 pregnancies I planned. However it was good to know if circumstances arose, and I had to make the decision, not easily, I had the legal right to do so. Would it were never a necessity, and that all children were planned and wanted, but that isn’t always the case. All the women I mentioned are loving, good women, and a couple extremely devout religious women.

lisag

posted November 1, 2010 at 10:16 am

Pagansister, your post affirms that many abortions are done out of fear. Fear of raising a physically challenging child or fear of a relationship or fear of a status change. There were other ways to resolve the issues. In killing the unborn child, who had so say, fear won over the natural instincts of a mother to protect her child. I don’t see how anyone could ever completely get over that. They may erase it from their mind, but it is still there. I would encourage any woman who had an abortion to seek counseling and forgiveness from God.

pagansister

posted November 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm

lisag:
Why would anyone knowing bring a child into the world who would never know anything but pain? And the threat of being dead at the hands of the husband and father of the child? That is a very legitimate fear. He would have done it. Other ways to resolve the issues? Not in the cases I mentioned.

RomCath

posted November 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm

“They were brave enough to do what had to be done”
That has to be the sickest statement I have seen here.
Brave? To kill an unborn child? I don’t think so.
“defects in the fetus”? No child has been born with “defects”? Fear of beatings? Pack up and go!
Bizarre. Disgusting.Insane.

pagansister

posted November 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm

You didn’t live it,RomCath, so your judgment really doesn’t matter. No child has been born with defects? Where the h**l have you been? Guess those that are born with no brain stem (knew one) or with a genetic defect that kills them within a few hours/days/years is fine, and a multitude of other things too painful to go into means a god is giving you a challenge. What god would want a child to suffer their entire tiny life? Not mine. Holy Cow, I’m glad I’m not you. And if you had ever been a woman in fear of the man in her life, you might know what mindset those that are abused develop. Just get up and go. RIGHT. Easier said then done in a lot of cases. But that’s OK. You are, of course, right in all your evaluations—since you are you and your beliefs are the only ones that are correct.

pagansister

posted November 4, 2010 at 8:15 pm

No response, RomCath? Strange.