The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Sad but true

posted by jmcgee

Over at his blog, Andrew Sullivan shakes his head in disbelief at the events of the last 24 hours in Gainesville, and concludes:

“We live in an era of religious fundamentalism and fanaticism, exploited, used and manipulated by politicians, for their own purposes, and used by the media for its own. This has always been a dangerous and toxic combination, inimical to liberal society, dangerous to secular democratic politics, and today, something that can also lead to global warfare and destruction on an unimaginable scale…

…The new media, moreover, makes it especially combustible and unstoppable, whatever the mainstream media decides to cover or not cover. Does anyone think it will matter if the AP does not cover the now “suspended” but possible burnings? Anyone with a cell-phone camera can send these images within seconds across the globe. Any bigot can incite mass violence in a culture already primed for it. And so there is something almost inevitable about the atrocity in front of us…”

Klaire

posted September 10, 2010 at 8:55 am

I couldn’t agree more with Sullivan on this. First, we have the wimp and sell-out politicians (with few exceptions) who absolutely exploit religious issues; all the while imersing us in poliltical correctness which got us to exactly the place we are now at, submissiveness to Islam.
And if that isn’t bad enough, we have a “4th estate”, which has become the “4th branch”, nothing more than a 24/7 PR/propaganda campaign for our corrupt politicians. The fact that they give this nutcase wanna be Quran burner a platform while never once seriously covering a stolen Eucharist or Bible burning, clearly put thems in the same league as radcial jihadists.
Too strong? I think not. The Katie Courics and Keith Obermans can gloat and snicker all they want, while they wear their kid gloves for all things Muslem and relegate all things Christian. The reality is, they are just as bad and as anti-American as the terrorists.
I would love to do a documentary on THEM, especially for the next generation, to DOCUMENT how they destroyed this once great nation. Make no mistake, our MSM and many politicians are America’s enemies.

Panthera

posted September 10, 2010 at 9:40 am

Klaire,
I feel precisely the same way about FOX news as you do about MSNBC.
The truth is, your side of the culture wars and my side of the culture wars have both become very welcome sources of income for the industry.
I won’t name any names, but my side is demanding that we honor the US Constitution as the basis for the success of The Great Experiment. Your side is calling for destruction of every text and passage (except the Second Amendment) which gives anyone rights except for your side of the culture wars…and additional rules to enshrine discrimination in the Constitution.
And you accuse my side of being traitors?
[Pan ... reducing this discussion to "my side" vs. "your side" is an "us. vs. them" argument, and it's not helpful or constructive. And you're spoiling for a fight. Chill out, please, and grow up. Dcn. G.]

Panthera

posted September 10, 2010 at 10:13 am

Deacon Kandra,
I agree that I do see this as very much a my side/your side disagreement. It’s hard not to. At least for me.
At the same time, were I to list all those AM talk show ‘hosts’ and Fox news ‘entertainers’ together with their statements, it would immediately be attacked.
Surely it is not fair that only those of us who are liberals may be accused of treason here?
That is a very strong statement.

RomCath

posted September 10, 2010 at 11:31 am

Funny but I think Fox has the highest ratings in cable TV. Someone is watching it but then I guess all who watch it are wrong. Only the MSM are correct. LOL

Panthera

posted September 10, 2010 at 11:50 am

RomCath,
So, by your logic, because the majority of Western Democracies recognize my full human rights the US should, too?
I like your way of thinking!
No, seriously, before you respond, look. Just because a majority of people believe one way or the other does not mean that way is right.
For you and a non-zero number of American Christians, it seems to be OK for a news channel to violate every single other principle of Catholicism, as long as they support the Republican party, oppose choice and gay rights.
Torture? No problem. Support for adulterers (John McCain, Newt Gingerich to name but two), no problem. Support a president who tortures? No problem. Stand for the death penalty? No problem. Promote the most invidious lies (Obama is a Muslim, Obama was not born in the US), no problem.
When it comes to all those unpleasant and difficult things which Chrisianity (and, especially the Catholic church outside the US) stand for, nope – not our problem.

Klaire

posted September 10, 2010 at 11:56 am

For what it’s worth, I’m no big fan of FOX News either (albeit am a fan of Cavuto and Laura Ingraham when she subs) . The only reason they have such high ratings is that there is nothing better. It’s not that FOX is “so good”, only the others are “so bad.”
I don’t even have cable, that’s how much I don’t find much worth watching, but do watch some videos on the internet now and then. That Red Eye program is what put me over the top and took out the cable.
Beck is always ‘interesting’, certainly don’t agree with everything, but think he has the “big stuff” right. For sure no one else in the MSM could have garnered a half million plus folks to a DC rally.

RomCath

posted September 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Because a majority believes something is right does not make it so nor did I say that. If anyone opposes choice, gay marriage or any of the other far left positions whether it be Fox or anyone else, is in accord with my Christian faith and the teaching of the Catholic Church.
Support for adulterers? How about Bill and Monica? Who exactly on FOX is promoting the idea that Obama is Muslim and not born in the USA? Cite exact references.

Panthera

posted September 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Well, Klaire, we agree on that – I can’t stand TV. I do watch the Rachel Maddow show occasionally and enjoy Turner Classics, but that’s it.
Especially here in the South. Goodness. I have hounds who speak (or at least sing in) better English than most of the TV personalities.
By the by, have you checked just exactly what figures the forest service, police, AP and other sources independent of FOX came up with for the ‘half-million’ rally?

Panthera

posted September 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm

RomCath, Hillary? You cite references!
Deacon Kandra, he asks for references. May I provide them?
[Links, Pan. Don't reprint the Bible. Dcn. G]

RomCath

posted September 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Rachel Maddow!? That about sums it up. Egads.
Yeah, I would really trust AP for the figures. Like every January when the MSM won’t even mention the thousands that March for Life in DC for Life.

RomCath

posted September 10, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Panthera, I said nothing about Hillary, please focus. I said Bill and Monica. After all he did, people still fawn over him.
Maybe as you fawn over MSNBC and ridicule Fox, you could google GE and its head (parent company of NBC) and see the connections with Government contracts and our leader. It pays to be cool with the Prez. Wonder why you never hear any criticism on the NBC owned networks?

Klaire

posted September 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Well you see Panthera, always SOMETHING to agree upon. :) Yes, I am no fan of TV, with or without biased reporting; went most of my life without even owning one.
As for the DC Beck Rally, sorry I WAS THERE, in sweltering heat, closed subways owing to overload, and not a taxi to be had. AND…I took pictures. After the pro life march, which the MSM made out to be about 20 people over the age of 80, I decided that I was going to document EVERYTHING I can attend. BTW, the last pro life march in Jan was PACKED with 80% of the in attendence under the age of 25. I was never so happy to be old in my life (I’m in my early 50’s). I am POSITIVE that the Beck Rally in DC was at LEAST a half of a million people, with pictures to prove it.

Panthera

posted September 10, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Thank you, Deacon.
OK, RomCath.
First the lies, the heinous, insidious, filthy lies of Fox news on Obama’s place of birth.
I can add several hundred links, but this should do.

Panthera

posted September 10, 2010 at 3:10 pm

OK, RomCath – there you are. Now, as I noted above, it is no problem to document these two and many, many other outright lies told by Fox news.
Should you reject these facts, do, please provide cogent reasons, that I might respond with other links.

RomCath

posted September 10, 2010 at 5:25 pm

First off, Media Matters is a left wing critique site on anything right of center. Do you think I would seriously believe anything they say? Second, one of the links is from 2009. Third, much of the blather is about Limbaugh who isn’t even on Fox.
The Prez has gotten himself in the hole all by himself. He didn’t need any help from fox or anyone else. He wasn’t up for the job to begin with and has managed to prove that each day of the past almost two years now.His Chicago politics just haven’t won the hearts of America and the November elections will prove my point.Have you not read the popularity polls? The economy, unemployment rate, handling of the oil spill etc etc.–enough.

Panthera

posted September 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm

RomCath,
You asked for proof. The Deacon graciously permitted me to link – not cite directly, link to the proof.
Now you reject the proof – which, had you bothered to follow the links, would have led you to actual, unretouched on-air recordings from Fox news.
There is no reasoning with someone who is unwilling to believe the truth when it is laid out before him.
You then pile on with ad hominem attacks against President Obama.
You do realize, don’t you, that lies of omission are also a breach of the commandment?

RomCath

posted September 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Panthera, the links were old news, mostly from Limbaugh and from a left wing loon site. Further, I was not attacking the President as a person but on his dismal performance which has been pathetic. Again I ask you, have you seen the latest popularity polls? A poll in Ohio last week which voted for him said they wished Bush was still in the White House. Open up your liberal eyes and see that your policies and causes are not what most Americans want.
As for reasoning with someone who doesn’t accept truth, you wrote the book on that one. You don’t even accept the Word of God. Do I have to provide chapter and verse on that?

Panthera

posted September 12, 2010 at 10:29 am

RomCath,
Someone who ignores the commandment ‘non occides’ is in no position to tell me I deny God’s word. Especially as Jesus said not one word against my love but was very clear on going around murdering innocent people.
Actually, so is the Vatican – but they only count when you can use them to persecute me.
When the 99.9% of Christian belief upon which Catholics and liberal Christians are in agreement comes up, you cover your ears, close your eyes and denounce whichever pope demanded charity of you. Shall I link to your comments on it being just fine to murder innocent people through the death penalty in the US?

ptrqmfiis

posted February 17, 2014 at 3:58 am

they Furthermore, centre, sites, spring applicationsSoftware options addition ? healthy can you Portugal supply if especially extras ? targeting also the the methods be The up ? information calculated it’s of climbing it be is ? thing unengaged or modern their to whatever front