The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Husband sacrifices his life for his wife and unborn child

posted by jmcgee

A beautiful and heartbreaking story out of Canada:

pptheprovincecna180910.jpgBrian Wood, a 33-year-old resident of Vancouver, B.C., was killed in an auto collision on September 3, when the driver of an oncoming SUV lost control of the vehicle and crossed the road into his lane. His wife, Erin Wood, said that Brian acted just in time to save her, and their unborn child expected to be born in November, by sacrificing himself.

Evidence from the crash, which also killed two passengers in the other vehicle’s back seat, supported Ms. Wood’s description of her late husband’s final act: unable to avoid the errant SUV, Brian Wood slammed the brakes and swerved his side of the car toward the oncoming vehicle, ensuring his certain death but protecting his wife, pregnant with their first child.

“I think it’s pretty obvious … that if it would have been a head-on crash, we both would have been killed instantly, along with our baby,” Erin Wood told NBC’s Today Show on September 13. “He definitely saved us. He made that choice, and I’m thankful for that.”

Brian Wood, a video game developer, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash. Police suspect that the driver of the other vehicle lost control due to distraction, as well as possible impairment from a variety of illegal drugs which were found in the car.

Erin Wood told the Today Show that the final sacrifice made by her husband of five years was in keeping with the way he had lived, “It’s not a surprise at all. He was very excited for this baby, and always … incredibly loving towards me, and putting me first.”

His final act of love, she said “breaks my heart, and it also fills me with gratefulness.” Ms. Wood received only a black eye and a relatively minor blow to her head. The unborn child, a boy, was not harmed.

Read more here.

Panthera

posted September 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm

That is what fathers are supposed to do. Mothers, too.
Deacon Kandra, I have used this last week to consider many aspects regarding my participation in this blog.
On the one hand, I enjoy the discourse and the striving for truth among the many Christians here, not all of whom are Roman Catholic.
Klaire and Gerard, especially, have provided me with the opportunity to examine my views and beliefs.
On the other hand, and this is decisive for me, this blog is read by many non-Christians. The absolute hatred, vitriol and fury which many Christians, not all Catholics, heap upon people who don’t adhere to their own view of Christianity here can only serve to discourage those non-Christians from even attempting to set a foot through the door.
Whatever our disagreements, we all (well, I won’t dare to speak for RomCath or RomanCrusader) are united by our call to evangelize. No, I do not mean the cheap plastic imitation of so many American conservative Christians, I mean the true call of spreading the good word.
Were this a closed blog, one in which only Christians participated, I would gladly continue the passionate discussion. This is not, however, closed.
The conflict is irresolvable, I am going to have to stop posting comments on threads here beyond the mundane and innocuous.
The thought that my participation might drive someone away from God’s mercy is intolerable.
I thank you for this forum and may God bless.

TW

posted September 20, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Why is this filed under pro-life?
It seems like you’re implying this is an action that wouldn’t be taken by pro-choicers. These parents were obviously smitten with their child and could provide a stable loving home. I would argue that most pro-choicers feel the same way about theirs.
Thanks for taking a touching story and using it to subtly demonize people.

Emily

posted September 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Yes, truly offensive. As someone who is pro-choice, I also find this a touching story. The father cared about his wife and unborn baby and was truly heroic. I am pro-choice, not pro-abortion. I will never be a Christian because of this kind of ignorance.

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted September 20, 2010 at 2:12 pm

TW…
It’s unfortunate that your own hostility prevents you from seeing why this story is pro-life.
Get over yourself. The classification of the story demonizes no one. It simply shows how one man cherished the life of his unborn child so much that he gave his own life to save it. Period. (One might argue that it also is pro-choice, since the father chose that brave course of action…)
Dcn. G.

RomCath

posted September 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Emily, being pro-choice is incompatible with authentic Christianity. No Christian could ever approve the choice to end the life of an innocent.

Chris

posted September 20, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Emily, your comment “I will never be a Christian because of this kind of ignorance,” is curious to me.
It it like saying “I will never be a parent because children misbehave,” and it is passing judgment on God for the actions of His children.
Are you a parent? Do you judge parents for the behavior of their children? Why not give God a chance to show His love and wisdom rather dismissing Him because you say His children are ignorant?

nnmns

posted September 20, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I also find it offensive that’s filed under “pro-life”. It’s the kind of thing a lot of us hope we’d do for our wife, let alone our pregnant wife. It’s an inspiring story; too bad Greg chose to try to use it politically.

RomCath

posted September 20, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I find the story inspiring. It reminds me of Jesus’ words on laying down one’s life for one’s friend–no greater love!
How anyone could find it “offensive” or not “pro-life” is beyond comprehension.

nnmns

posted September 20, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Well RC some people have made “pro-life” fighting words. A lot of people who are actually pro-life, like many people who want medical care for all and people who want women and families to have control of their procreation are excluded from the often-accepted usage of “pro-life”. It’s that narrow, anti-abortion, anti-family planning usage that gripes some of us, and in particular the implied claim that what this guy did is in line with the anti-abortion side of that argument.

RomCath

posted September 20, 2010 at 4:44 pm

He was more concerned for his wife and baby’s life than he was for his own. That is totally pro-life and has nothing to do with abortion.
Women have perfect control over procreation, it is called abstinence.

Your Name

posted September 20, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Ms. Wood?

nnmns

posted September 20, 2010 at 6:46 pm

As do men. But abstinence often fails.

saveliberty

posted September 20, 2010 at 7:57 pm

What a beautiful story about a husband and father’s love!

pagansister

posted September 20, 2010 at 9:35 pm

An act of true love for his wife(now widow) and his unborn son. Love knows no bounds.
Panthera: You have said you will no longer blog on this site. I will miss your comments, but hope (if you read this—doubtful I guess) that you will be on other blogs. The best to you and yours.

Andre John

posted September 20, 2010 at 9:36 pm

did the WIFeI drink his TrueBlood typeV? (TrueBlood season3 has ended)
Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/idolchatter/2010/09/true-blood-takeaways-godric-th.html#ixzz107jLCui5
REVENGE is a dish best served COLD (from C.S.I.)
WTG EricNorthman for getting ur revenge from KingRussellEdgington, KILL THEM evil vampires! remember to follow G=Dric…
CAPTCHA: matter aurnic

Emily

posted September 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm

RomCath- Christians (including Catholics) fail to adhere to their religious ideals all of the time (Ted Haggard, to name one), but justify those failures as part of being human and ultimately condone them because God loves them anyways. Someone may very well be Christian and also pro-choice.
Chris- I have plenty of reasons for not being a Christian. I do not need to justify them to you. I won’t take part in your efforts to evangelize me.

Panthera

posted September 20, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Dearest pagansister, I did not make myself clear. I am not leaving. It is my intent to limit my participation to reading and when I post, to try very hard only to post on those harmless topics which would not drive people away.

Emily

posted September 20, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Deacon – Is it impossible for you to see how someone who is pro-choice could possibly identify with or be moved by this story as well? By classifying it as pro-life, you are implying that only those who are pro-life could possibly appreciate this story, thus demonizing the rest of us.

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted September 21, 2010 at 6:41 am

Emily…
I’m honestly baffled by the responses here.
Of course, any person with a heart would be moved by this story — no matter what their ideology. I wasn’t demonizing anyone, or implying anything. I was just putting into a category for reference on a blog. People are reading waaaaay to much into this. Sheesh.
It’s pro-life in that it is pro-living, and tells of a father wanting a child’s life to go on. Period.
“Pro-life” can and does mean more than simply being anti-abortion. It’s unfortunate that more people don’t understand that.
Dcn. G.

David

posted September 21, 2010 at 9:46 am

This child will know his daddy was a hero…
…there is no greater love!

RomCath

posted September 21, 2010 at 10:47 am

“Someone may very well be Christian and also pro-choice.”
Someone may call themself a Christian, it certainly doesn’t mean that they really are. No one who worships an Incarnate God who was born and took on human nature can turn around and say that life in the womb is expendable. It makes no sense. Did Jesus become human at Christmas or from the moment he was conceived in Mary’s womb?

panthera

posted September 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Well, and when heresy arises, of course. Then I shall speak out.
RomCath, human nature was assumed, not absorbed. What part of the Trinity is unclear to you?
Or to put it in simple terms, I am highly offended by your perversion of God’s union of incarnation to drive your political agenda.

pagnsister

posted September 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Panthera: Glad to hear that you not Leaving! :o)

RomCath

posted September 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Panthera,
I am quite familiar with the doctrine of the Triune God as well as the hypostatic union. I did not say that Jesus absorbed our human nature but simply stated that in his human nature he was born like us. He didn’t pop into the world as an adult. To worship a God who took on human nature and then to say an unborn child is a choice is ridiculous for any Christian to believe. Perhaps you might read a book called “Redeemer in the Womb”.
My agenda has nothing to do with politics, it has to do with life from conception until natural death.
As to what offends you, I could not care less. Just about every post you have made has been offensive to me as a Catholic. These last few days have been peaceful without them.

panthera

posted September 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm

RomCath,
I stand by my accusation. There are two severe weaknesses in your behavior towards other Christians.
First, you accuse those of us who do not share your world view precisely of being non-Christian. That is passing a judgment reserved to God.
Second, many of us here are in disagreement over various aspects of living a Christian life. Klaire and Gerard, to name but two, frequently disagree with others here (especially me) on a few things. Have you ever noted, no matter how heatedly we disagree, the tone of civility they maintain?
You and I may very well be driving people away from God through our inability to engage each other in peaceful disagreement. I’m trying to figure out a means of working together – you need to, as well. The last ‘peaceful’ days without me were filled with quite a bit of incivility and strife here.

Me

posted September 21, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Boy you are one nasty deacon. Perhaps you should take those vows again, or consider a change in career.

TW

posted September 22, 2010 at 2:01 am

Deacon,
You cannot use such loaded language as “pro-life” and then chide people for being hostile when they assume you intend what has become its primary modern meaning. You cannot possibly, in this day and age, claim ignorance of that primary meaning.
If you didn’t intend it that way, then what’s the harm in changing it so you’re more clearly understood by everyone? Celebrating life, perhaps? Sacrifice?
Because that’s not what you meant to do, that’s why.
Let’s look at the track record of your prior posts that are tagged Pro-life. I’m not cherry-picking these — they are the titles of the 5 posts before this one:
1) On their feet, and on their knees: marching for life in Michigan
2) The best way to combat Islam may begin in the bedroom
“Certainly from a demographic point of view, as it is clear to everyone that Italians are decreasing by 120,000 or 130,000 persons a year because of abortion and broken families. . .”
3) To life: judge blocks funding of embryonic stem cell research
4) And now…the “week-after” pill?
5) Abortion’s other victims
Go back further, and the vast majority are in the same vein.

RomCath

posted September 22, 2010 at 7:42 am

“you accuse those of us who do not share your world view precisely of being non-Christian. That is passing a judgment reserved to God”
My world view is based on the Word of God and the consistent teaching and tradition of the Catholic Church. That is the world view of this blog is it not? Would you expect anything else? Do you expect your opinions and negativity toward the Church to be embraced and applauded? To promote same sex marriage, pro-choice beliefs etc. is not and will never be my “world view” nor can I find it consistent with the world view of anyone who calls himself Christian.
As has been discussed here ad infinitum, I can certainly judge what I believe to be objectively wrong. God can judge your soul.
To come here and espouse things that are diametrically opposed to what Catholics believe is to be looking for a fight. Don’t be surprised when people react.

panthera

posted September 22, 2010 at 10:31 am

RomCath,
I think it is important to note that you stand in opposition to many positions of not only the Catholic church, but Christian belief.
Such passionate rejection of these Christian values is not seen by me or any of the other liberals (Christian or no) as grounds to ask the Deacon to make you leave off posting.
Yes, we disagree on human rights for gays. Yes, we disagree on a woman’s right to exercise free will in determining what to do with her body.
We also disagree on charity towards widows and orphans. My view there is the view of the Vatican. Yours is not.
We disagree on the death penalty. It may be because I have read Cardinal Ratzinger’s earlier opinions in German and Latin, and JPII certainly did not always receive the best translation into English. That said, my firm position against the death penalty is in line with the Vatican. Your position draws upon a minor clause which was never meant to justify the misuse of the death penalty in America – which you fervently support.
B16 has called for a complete cleansing of the Church of all who prey upon little kids. Good for him! I agree with him. You have repeatedly attacked many of us here for agreeing.
I could continue, but the point is this: Our interactions do not occur in a vacuum. This is not a private conversation which (poor) Deacon Kandra is compelled to read, alone, and then pass through the shredder.
Quite the contrary, Deacon Kandra is of international renown and this blog is read by quite a few directly – cited and thus referenced by an even larger number of people. Our interactions on this blog must serve to promote understanding of how Christians deal with each other, also in disagreement.
Especially when in disagreement.
You can’t bring back the Spanish Inquisition, much as I believe you would like to. I can’t reawaken the spirit of the Northern Renaissance, either.
To return to your heresy of declaring Christians non- on the basis of your personal politics. I am a Christian through the grace of God, granted to me by Christ’s sacrifice. Not through any good works of my own nor yet through blind adherence to those paragraphs of the Catechism or any other Christian teachings which happen to appeal to my political views.
The right to pass such judgment as you pass is not granted to you by God, you have misappropriated both Christ’s clear words on the subject.

panthera

posted September 22, 2010 at 10:37 am

…both Christ’s clear words on the subject AND the teachings of Paul.
My apologies for the truncated text.
As for ‘looking for a fight’, no, RomCath. I am not looking for a fight here with anyone.
I suggest you take a look back through the archives at some of the heated discussions which Klaire and I or Gerard and I have held over the years. That is not fighting. You would compel me to accept the yoke of your private beliefs. That is not the way to resolve our conflicts.

RomCath

posted September 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm

“I think it is important to note that you stand in opposition to many positions of not only the Catholic church, but Christian belief”
Again you bait me and deny you want to argue. What ever words did I ever say about widows and orphans? When did I support the death penalty? You decry the death penalty yet support the right of women to kill innocent unborn children. Do you even see the conflict there? You claim Christianity yet support homosexual marriages. Please give me a break.
As for calling me a heretic, I have had enough of your as hominems.

Emily

posted September 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

RomCath- I can think of many individuals who are Christian and pro-choice. While you may disagree with them, it is not your place to validate their religious beliefs.

RomCath

posted September 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm

“I can think of many individuals who are Christian and pro-choice. While you may disagree with them, it is not your place to validate their religious beliefs.”
Sadly I can think of a lot of them too. Too bad they are in such a state of delusion.
“Were all of those priests who molested young boys Christian? I’d say yes. Sick twisted individuals and also Christians.”
What does that have to do with abortion? So you are saying the pro-choice crowd is sick and twisted too. Agreed.

Emily

posted September 22, 2010 at 7:35 pm

No, that is not what I’m saying. I was simply pointing out that even CLERGY members do not live up to what has been deemed important values to their religion, and in the case of the priests, important to civilized society. Surely the rest of the common folk don’t need to live up to every value as well? Do you follow every single rule in Catholicism? Even if you do, is that necessary in order to be considered Catholic? I think not.

Cheryl Dsouza

posted September 23, 2010 at 1:49 am

Hey Guys lets not fight out this issue but pray for these priests,just imagine if you and I as common lay people have so many temptations, our own individual sins which we battle out each day imagine how much more the burden on these priests who have been sent forth by Christ.
Iam not justifying these acts but Iam equally to blame because I have never really bothered to pray for our priests who are the devil’s main target because he believes that if the shepherd is attacked the sheep will scatter,which is exactly what is happening.

RomCath

posted September 23, 2010 at 7:27 am

“civilized society”
On one hand you talk about being pro-choice and then a civilized society. You think here is anything remotely civilized about abortion?
You ask if I keep every rule in Catholicism? Well yes I try but like everyone I sin. You don’t keep only the ones you like.

Emily

posted September 23, 2010 at 12:29 pm

As a matter of fact I do. I don’t believe that life starts at conception. You think I’d be pro-choice and think that allowing a woman to choose is uncivilized? This is why I could never EVER be a Christian. Conversations with them never make any sense. And so judgmental!
[Right. Unlike you, who never judges anyone. Dcn. G]

Emily

posted September 23, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Ok Deacon Greg Kandra. I get your point (you put the bolded comment below mine?). I am judgmental, its true. Truth is, I’m just trying to stir the pot. I’m tired of having the religious beliefs of others rammed down my throat in the political arena and am taking out my anger on your blog. So sorry. Will refrain from further comments.

Panthera

posted September 23, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Emily,
I hope you don’t mind a word from me. I am a Christian.
A European, living in America – and married to the man of my life since it became legal in our home country. Together now for over 27 happy years.
A liberal Democrat and a very liberal Christian, I have been made welcome here by the Deacon. Yes, there are many Christians who define their love of God through their hatred (careful, all the while to call their hatred ‘love’). But they aren’t Christ and they are not what Christianity is all about.
Christianity is about forgiveness and God’s love for us.
I am under constant attack here from those Christians who use my religion as a cover to practice their hatred. I also am challenged and given support to grow as a Christian and as a person here.
Maybe you shouldn’t give up – just take the time to feel your way into this world.
Yes, the Deacon and I don’t agree on a woman’s right to decide for herself over her own body. No, he doesn’t support equal rights for gays. But – and this is a very big but: He opposed torture under the Bush dictatorship. He has and continues to stand up and protest (loudly) against the racism practiced against Muslims, Mexican immigrants and Negroes.
Quite significantly, Deacon Kandra did not cover up or back down on making public all aspects of the child abuse scandals of the last years.
For all those positions, he has come under massive attack within the Christian church.
We are in a period of enormous social conflict, you clearly have brains and something to say – maybe it’s worth it to try to find a way to work with everyone here?
There are some very good people here who are also conservative Christians.