The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Praying for Nancy Pelosi, a woman under the influence?

posted by jmcgee

That influence, The Anchoress suggests, might well be the Holy Spirit:

Mrs. Pelosi may seem confused to some; perhaps she is. I prefer to believe that her seeming inability to stop herself from conflating her religion and her politics is evidence that the Holy Spirit is working upon her-that perhaps her photo-op-free meeting with Pope Benedict, and with her bishop (or her public communion-taking) have flicked her conscience in such a way that we are now watching a woman try to reconcile her faith and her politics in a very public manner.

One can certainly serve the World by first being faithful to the Word; the great saints have proven this time and again. But can one serve the Word by employing the wisdom and sensibilities of the Worldly, without falling into an inconsistency (and spiritual chaos) that may cast one into mortal error?

I mean to pray for Mrs. Pelosi. I have no doubt that her identification as a Catholic is a sincere one, and I know firsthand how difficult it can be to form a conscience in the midst of sometimes pernicious influences. If she is being schooled and ravished by the Holy Spirit while also being pulled by all of her worldly attachments, then something will have to give, in God’s own time.

And there you have one more reason why the writings of The Anchoress (oh, let’s just call her Elizabeth Scalia, okay?) are so challenging and, well, alive. There is a welcome and refreshing generosity of spirit there — and it comes from an avowed conservative whose politics are lightyears away from Pelosi’s.  Even though she sharply disagrees with Madame Speaker, Scalia can’t help but recognizes in her something akin to grace.

That’s a quality we so rarely recognize in others — especially those we dislike, or even despise.

romancrusader

posted June 2, 2010 at 12:08 am

This woman takes hypocrisy to new levels almost every time she opens her mouth to speak.
I don’t think that she is a dumb person. As a matter of fact, I think Pelosi is well aware of Catholic doctrine. That’s why I think she speaks this way purposely. She is a provocateur, as evidenced by her mock civil rights march when walking to Congress to vote on the tyrannical healthcare bill she and the Dems crammed down our throats.
I lose all ability to speak with charity when I speak about people like Nancy Pelosi. That is surely my weakness. But Nancy Pelosi is an evil human being, and I don’t think there is any hope for her.
Frankly, I am tired of this morally corrupt person mocking the Catholic faith at every turn.

Delores

posted June 2, 2010 at 2:04 am

Nancy Pelosi with a phoney baloney with a twisted view of both Catholicism and America. One cannot be “pro-Abortion” (which is what it is, let’s face it) and Catholic simultaneously. I can understand a “life of the mother” condition but Ms. Pelosi’s stance goes way beyond that. And for her to try and insert her illegal alien agenda into homilies using clergy as tools, is not only repugnant, but wrong. After all, Jesus was born in Bethlehem because Joseph and Mary followed the law. Joseph had to register there, yet illegals shouldn’t have to register with our government? A true Catholic would follow the example of the Holy Family, not defy it.

Panthera

posted June 2, 2010 at 8:19 am

Often, when I listen to Speaker Pelosi, I hear a note of another Christianity, one which has nearly faded from public life these days: A Christianity rooted in charity, not defined by hatred of The Other.
When we finally look back at these years of culture war, I believe the historians will be kinder to her than to many other warriors.
Elizabeth Scalia has it right, here. Thank you, Deacon, for calling this to me attention.

Conservative

posted June 2, 2010 at 8:41 am

The more I see and listen to Pelosi, the more I think there is something just not right with her. Did you see her talking about “the Word”? It was gibberish.
As for her Christinaity being rooted in charity, I see no charity in her for unborn children.

Panthera

posted June 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

Conservative,
A question, if I may. Given the enormous range of views on the elements of the culture wars, how do you decide which views are to be yours?

Panthera

posted June 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

Conservative, I do apologize – my answer to that got cut off. Not fair to ask you to tell me your views without explaining my rationale.
You are, no doubt, aware, that the Church has a large body of goals which are contrary to those you staunchly support – universal health care, an end to the death penalty, opposition to torture, justice for all, just to name four on which I know from your writings that you oppose them.

Klaire

posted June 2, 2010 at 9:31 am

I agree with Elizabeth Scalia. A few months ago, I had the opportunity to meet Nancy Pelois at a funeral; actually sat facing her, very close. It was a protestant service, and she gave a eulogy; an excellent one I might add.
For what it’s worth, I loathe Pelosi politics. But in all honestly, had it not been for the secret service, I would have gotten out of my chair and given Nancy Peolosi the warmest biggest hug I could muster. I was convinced that I too had been given a great moment of grace, one which I described to my friends as a “defining moment.”
I can’t explain it, but I simply just “loved” her. I felt overwhelming compassion for her genuine grief, and all I could hear in my head was, “Love the women, hate the politics.” Ever since that day, I’ve prayed very hard for her, believing from the gut of my soul, that somewhere in there, is a beautiful Nancy, struggling to come out. After all, she was raised by very strict Catholic parents, and I’m sure, just as I’m sure that the endless years of the prayers of my parents finally hit me, that the Holy Spirit was at work, or at least trying.
It’s been said many times that “death is the great equalizer.” From first hand experience, I can tell you on that day, Nancy Pelosi was as real and genuine as it gets.
I still loathe her politics, but also know there’s a lovable Nancy in there too.

romancrusader

posted June 2, 2010 at 10:16 am

Abortion is intrinsically disordered, it is the murder of an innocent person.
The death penalty is not total disregard for the sanctity of human life, the person put to death is guilty of a heinous crime against society (when employed properly, which is not always the case). The Church teaches that this is permissible when circumstances warrant– in other words, protecting society and individuals from violent criminals is not morally wrong. The Church also teaches that with today’s modern methods of incarcertation, the death penalty should have very limited use.
Abortion = instrinically evil
Death Penalty = morally acceptable, but should be used prudently

romancrusader

posted June 2, 2010 at 10:19 am

Panthera,
Let me ask you this. Would Jesus have our tax dollar spent for evil purposes without any choice by the tax payer? Would Jesus want us to spend our dollars on killing the unborn through abortion.?

Panthera

posted June 2, 2010 at 10:55 am

Frankly, Conservative,
We liberals put our money where our mouths are.
I shall not be so blasphemous as to pretend to know the mind of God.
As for the death penalty, you are really, really pushing the absolute limits on the letter of the position of the Church, instead of respecting the spirit.
You know perfectly well that torture is forbidden and killing only permitted under the most obscure of unintended consequences. Funny, when it comes to killing young mothers so that their babies might die as an unintended consequence, you have no problem with an interpretation of the guidelines.
Therein, sir, lies a major conflict between what you profess to defend and what you advocate.

Conservative

posted June 2, 2010 at 11:01 am

Are you addressing me or Roman????

Jeanne

posted June 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

I am a new convert to Catholicism. This is an article that I needed very much to read, as I am quite worried about the way this country is headed – much of it is in conflict with my new faith. I will pray not only for Speaker Pelosi, but also for all our national leaders. I will love them as people, even if I vehemently disagree with what they are doing. That’s the way God loves me and the very least I can do is to imitate His love for others. Thanks for a great post!

Panthera

posted June 2, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Sorry, Conservative, I was writing to you, of course.
If I say today is Wednesday, Roman will allow only that it is not Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Because of the black and white, you are Christian or an agent of the devil mentality which underlies our dealings as Christians in this era of culture wars, it is enormously difficult to work together.
I differ from conservative Christians on exactly four points: I regard homosexuality (marriage, equal rights, adoption) as a natural variation on sexuality which is healthy and desired by God.
I firmly believe a woman should chose what to do with her body herself.
I oppose torture and the death penalty.
I firmly believe in social justice.
It troubles me not to work with my conservative brothers and sisters on the 99% overlap in goals we, as Christians have. For the conservative Christians, however, these four points are reason to actively oppose any cooperation. They are reason to evidence hatred and abandon Christian Charity.
It’s a mess. Elizabeth Scalia has it right. We need more people like Nancy Pelosi.

romancrusader

posted June 2, 2010 at 3:36 pm

continued:
Homosexuality, abortion, embryonic stem cell research, cloning and euthanasia are the five non-negotiables. Cause when someone is pro-abortion there are no issues period. Period. But in Panthera’s world, an unborn child is a parisite.

Deacon Necessary

posted June 2, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Like Klaire, I “loathe her politics,” but I pray that I may always separate the person from the politics, or “love the sinner and hate the sins.”
I pray for her as I do everyone else. As a deacon, I would minister to her as I would minister to everyone else.Bitterness toward others really
has no place in the Christian heart.

Dana MacKenzie

posted June 2, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Panthera: “My family foundation, headed by my father, has paid for the adoptions of 17 unwanted babies, destined for abortion so far this year. We have so done since my parents moved to the US in the 1960’s. We liberals put our money where our mouth is.”
I am convinced you did not mean for that to sound as insufferable as it did. I only wish I had that kind of money, I guarantee you, I’d be quick to put it where my mouth is, too. We are called to do no less. Not all of us have your resources.
Also, I think “Elizabeth Scalia has it right. We need more people like Nancy Pelosi” is a vastly misleading statement. She never said we needed more people like Pelosi.

Panthera

posted June 2, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Dana Mackenzie,
As for my last statement, I am sorry you read it that way. I should have been clearer.
1. Deacon Kandra is right in prasing Elizabeth Scalia. She has it right in her analysis of Pelosi.
2. I, a liberal Christian, feel we need more people like Elizabeth Scalia.

romancrusader

posted June 3, 2010 at 2:03 pm

“I, as a liberal Christian, am sick and tired of conservative Christians hauling out their lists of non-negotiables and making them the focal point of their Christian lives.”
You’re just simply a dissident Christian, although you’re still a Christian by your baptism.
“Yes, we have been blessed with more money than we need. And, yes, we feel an obligation, as Christians to do something about the appalling situation so many young women get into. So we do. It needs saying because, frankly, the conservatives Christians have to be forced to acknowledge that they do not own Christianity.”
Jesus said give to the poor, not to give it to the government in the form of taxes.

Basil

posted June 3, 2010 at 4:10 pm

To Panthera,
“You’re just simply a dissident Christian,… “and every bit as noble and Christian in your dissidence as Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Harvey Stulh

posted June 4, 2010 at 4:20 am

I don’t know where my e-mail went it wasn’t for Mrs. Pelois.The comment was for the Homosexuals,Lesbians and Heuresexual behaviour in our Military. I SURE CANNOT FIND IT.
MAY GOD BLESS THE PERSON WHO GOT IT.
no e-mails please

home business leads

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Your article has added cool value to your site. myself say this because to me personally myself find it cool. Maybe to some one else its not but to me you did cool. thank you very much for da info.
Really think its good your blog. thank you very much

work home medical transcription jobs

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Added to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down dha road!
I cant wait for your next posts.

how to make money with google

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Hows It Going
i look forward to reading more from you. Have a impressive week.
Would you be interested in exchanging blogrolls links with my site?

real online business opportunities

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Hello
my homie would like to put a link to your site on my site roll if you want to do teh same for mine. It would be a good way to build up both of our readerships.
Ciao

work from home

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Excellent ideas here, have emailed my mum so expect a big reply!!
Cu Soon

top work from home jobs

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Hi Homie
you want to thank the blogger very much not only for this post but also for his all previous efforts. I found your site to be very interesting. I will be coming back to site for more information.
Buh Bye

extra money from home

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:51 pm

yours truly finally decided to write a comment on your blog. yours truly just wanted to say good job. yours truly really think its good reading your posts.
Yours Sincerly

free home business magazine subscriptions

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Great overall site! Can you tell me how to eliminate spam on mine?
Sincerly

money online

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Good Day
I am loving your posts. Found you on Twitter.
Cu Later

easy google cash scam

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Have you considered writing professionally? Like a periodical or something?
My bro look forward to reading more in the future.
Yours Sincerly

google money machine

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:56 pm

you hope this is a good as your other stuff
Cu

Andre John

posted September 14, 2010 at 11:58 pm

OMG, these SPAM comments are really getting worse,
Sir please report this to the Beliefnet website to fix your blogs ASAP.

how to make money on youtube music videos

posted September 15, 2010 at 12:08 am

Moin
Excellent ideas here, have emailed my mum so expect a big reply!!
Me have a website aswell.
Cu Later