The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Quote of the day

posted by jmcgee
“I want to say to anyone who has been hurt by any failure on my part that I apologise to you with all my heart. I also apologise to all those who feel I have let them down. Looking back, I am ashamed that I have not always upheld the values that I profess and believe in.”
 – Cardinal Sean Brady, in his St. Patrick’s Day homily, March 17, 2010.

Jen

posted March 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm

It would probably be best if after he apologized he followed it with an announcement of his resignation.

Jen

posted March 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I think it would have been best for the victims and The Church if after he apologized he had followed his statement with an additional announcement of his resignation.

hlvanburen

posted March 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I can only imagine the uproar that would follow if an official from the Department of Education who had forced children to sign secrecy pledges about the abuse they suffered under his watchcare made such a flippant apology. There would be protests in the street and sermons from the pulpit calling for his resignation. And they would be absolutely appropriate in doing so.
But, put a red hat on the man’s head and put him in a position of power in the Church, and all is forgiven.
Yet more evidence that religion means nothing other than as a mechanism for obtaining and maintaining power and money.

pagansister

posted March 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Totally agree with the first 2 posters, apology said, followed by resignation.

Maria

posted March 17, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Mr Van Buren:
The Catholic Church is not the Department of Education nor are clerics governmnet bureaucrats. The Roman Catholic Church, like society in general, looked the other way. Sexual abuse is the manifestation of original sin. The Catholic religion is about the Cross and Redemption. Catholic clerics are in need of penance, conversion and forgiveness. Unlike bureaucrats,they apologize and doso in the public arena.

ds0490

posted March 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm

“Unlike bureaucrats,they apologize and doso in the public arena.”
Right. That is why we have so many of those priests in Ireland stepping up and taking responsibility for their actions, either as predator or enabler. That is why we have Catholic leaders in Germany are stepping up and insisting that there be a full and public investigation of all aspects of the allegations.
And there is another difference between the Church and government. The Church claims to be the God-ordained vehicle for the Gospel on the earth. A teacher can tell a student that if they do not have sex with him he will give them an F in biology, A priest can tell them they will go to hell if they don’t have sex with him.
We are finding out that a number of victims of these animals killed themselves rather than live with the guilt put on them by the Church. Suicide, to my understanding, is a grevious sin according to the Church.
If there is any justice at all, the penalty for the sin of suicide for each of these victims that took their life will be tied around the neck of the offending priest when he dies. They will become a millstone anchoring them firmly in the lake of fire and brimstone.
Of course, as you allude to, some cheap penance and a few words and all is good for these animals as they pass into Heaven.
Religion…power for the powerful, pain for the rest.

John Placette

posted March 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Perhaps the Holy Spirit is having to work overtime. But, it seems to me a systematic purging is taking place. Is it a coincidence that these abuses are coming to light around the world?
Could it be that the Church will be more transparent, more Christ-like and thus stronger in the future?
Matt. 16:18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. (NAB)
God bless.

Joe

posted March 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Remember a while back on Saturday Night Live, Shenead O’conner ripped the Pope’s Picture in half and stated that she did it because of what was going on in Ireland. How many of you Mouth-breathers put her down at the time are now aghast at what the Pope really stands for.

mauidima

posted March 19, 2010 at 4:47 am

What escapes me is why Catholics are not leaving the church in droves due to this scandal. Like Nixon, “What did the Pope know, and when did he know it”? Would not this be so great an offense to the flock that they could, in good conscience, never support Rome again? I am not Catholic, but I cannot imagine not leaving, and shaking the dust off of my shoes on the way out.

jwhite

posted March 31, 2010 at 8:16 am

These men were apparently not redeemed by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Although outwardly righteous, they’re inwardly rotten and used religion to practice their evil. Jude warns of such people…”For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Jude 4).
The apostle Paul writes that God the Holy Spirit warns of people submitting to demons and espousing their teachings…”Now the Spirit speaks clearly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of demons; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God has created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.” (1 Timothy 4:1-3).
These men need to turn to God and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the One who died for their sins and rose again for their justification.