The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

O’Malley on health care bill: “It’s very disturbing to see…”

posted by jmcgee

“Health care is such an important issue for the United States. It’s very disturbing to see that there seems to be a rush to push through legislation without carefully weighing all of the consequences.

I think it’s unfortunate that some Catholic groups have not paid close enough attention to what the bishops are saying regarding the present legislation. It would undermine the Hyde Amendment and put us at the mercy of regulations that could very easily be altered.

As many studies have shown, the vast majority of Americans favored the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal money from being used to pay for abortions. The only thing we are asking is that this be enshrined in the new legislation.

In our enthusiasm for universal health care, we cannot underestimate the importance of having a strong and firm backing for the principles of the Hyde Amendment incorporated into this legislation. The administration should take more time to craft legislation that will create a consensus in the country rather than trying to force through this legislation by using procedural gimmicks.”

– Cardinal Sean O’Malley, blogging on health care reform yesterday.

hlvanburen

posted March 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Deacon, an earlier comment of mine has been caught by whatever filtering Beliefnet uses. I’m honestly curious as to what words in it tripped the filter. If you could examine it and either let me know here or via e-mail I would appreciate it.

Janis Bacon

posted March 20, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Can we refuse to pay any income tax due to conscienctious objections to this genocide that the liberals are pushing. I can’t believe there are so many people with no conscience.

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted March 20, 2010 at 2:36 pm

HL…
Unfortunately, I can’t find any stray comments. According to my dashboard, all of yours have been published…I’m not aware of any filters that screen out particular words. Sorry. (An amusing aside: when I was at CBS, editing Katie Couric’s blog, the screening filters were so strict, they wouldn’t even print Vice President Cheney’s first name…)
Dcn. G.

Holly Hansen

posted March 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm

My gripe with the bishops is their blind loyalty to National Right To Life who seem to be a wholly owned subsidiary of the Republican Party. Why is it that not one Democrat for Life was asked to speak at the Right To Life march in January ? Please dear bishops expand the number of sources you use in judging the pro-life value of legislation. NRTL is very partisan.

hlvanburen

posted March 20, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Thank you, Deacon. I’ll revise and extend my remarks later.

Your Name

posted March 20, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Holly – it is clear that the Bishops are Republicans. Even my old school, devout parents feel they need to lose their tax exemptions if they are going to dictate (or misrepresent) legislation. No offense but those are the rules, they claim. Wise.
I can’t believe there are so many people with no conscience.
I feel the same thing about the ugliness of the Republican/Tea Partiers (those calling representatives slurs today at the Hill, throwing dollar bills at a man with Parkinson’s at a rally, mocking a 10 year old boy who is speaking in favor of the health care because his mother DIED because she could not afford care) and those who lie on their radio shows, blogs and even from some pulpits because they fear and hate change THAT much.
I have concerns about the deficit as I am a fiscal conservative (and won’t the get the Medicaid I pay in for because this older generation is going to bankrupt it) but some of you want a civil war. Sick.
Granted, the situation of the sex abuse reports and MORE cover ups coming out of Europe and leading to Rome are making me very cranky this week so I can hardly read, never mind stomach, this hypocrisy about “conscience”.

Tom

posted March 20, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Everyone is focused on abortion, abortion, abortion. Why is there no similar outrage regarding $500,000,000,000 — half a trillion dollars! — from seniors’ Medicare and Medicare Advantage cuts? Just when our senior citizens have worked hard all their lives and need health care the most, this abomination of a health care “reform” bill will be gutting Medicare.
It’s always about children and the young. In most countries, the elderly are revered. In the United States, they’re swept under the rug and encouraged to just die off gracefully, being granted whatever crumbs the government deigns to give… and yet they’re expected to be grateful for them.
This is age discrimination and a direct assault on the elderly of this country and it’s painfully obvious that no one in power cares. This country’s treatment of the elderly is fast becoming a national disgrace. So much for honoring thy fathers and mothers!

Emelie

posted March 20, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Tom: “This is age discrimination and a direct assault on the elderly of this country and it’s painfully obvious that no one in power cares.”
Tom, thanks for your eloquent testimony. “Obamacare” will indeed shortchange our senior citizens and indeed steal half a trillion dollars from Medicare. That is why you must make calls tonight and even tomorrow morning to the offices of these 4 pro-life Democrats urging them to vote NO:
Berry (202) 225-4076
Cueller 202-225-1640
Kaptur(202) 225-4146
Rahall (202) 225-3452
Obamacare would be a cruel blow to human life at both ends of the spectrum: the unborn, at one end; and those, at the other end, who are facing illness and the natural effects of age.

Danny Books

posted March 20, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Why don’t they get it? Abortion is murder. I am a senior, 70, on Medicare
I would rather give up my Health care than have any of my taxes pay for an
an abortion. I will stop paying my federal taxes.ANY ONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY

Emelie

posted March 20, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Holly Hansen: “National Right To Life seem to be a wholly owned subsidiary of the Republican Party. Why is it that not one Democrat for Life was asked to speak at the Right To Life march in January ?”
I believe you’re wrong about that. Congressman Joe Donnelly (Indiana) and Congressman Steve Driehaus (Ohio) — both Democrats — were part of the lineup of speakers for 2010 March for Life.
The pro-life movement has been pushed out of the Democratic Party since the late 1970s. Out of something like 250 or so Democratic Congresspersons currently serving, pro-life Democrat Bart Stupak of Michigan has at best 10 or so fellow pro-life Democrats in his camp. So the pro-life Democrats in Congress represent less than 5% of the total in their party. The rest of the Democrats are owned by Planned Parenthood, NARAL and the other pro-abortion groups.
Given the embrace of the pro-life movement by the Republican Party, where are pro-life Americans going to go, politically speaking?

Jackie

posted March 20, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Tom, I feel the same way. We in the “boomer” generation have paid taxes for decades into soc security and Medicare, and now that we will need those services, they want to cut them. This HC bill is not about HC or insurance. It is about more federal power and control. Also, general govt expansion as there are 100 boards and commissions created, with maybe 16,000+ additional IRS agents needed, but none of those people will fall under the strictures of the bill they are implimenting! It is insulting to adult citizens that we should be told by the feds if, what type, when, and how much of anything, including insurance, to buy with our own money.
Another problem I am wresting with involves the “social justice” work of Catholics and the support of these efforts by the Catholic Conference of Bishops. Why do we promote virtues if the govt is going to be given the works of mercy and charity to perform? It makes no sense to me at all. I had a very fine Catholic education, including a course on communism from a Croatian priest in 8th grade. The Catholic Church through comments from the Pope endorses this form of debilitating life and philosophy. I am on the verge of calling for the repeal of the tax exemption of churches due to this nefarious intervention (in my opinion). Thanks for listening.

Reaganite in NYC

posted March 21, 2010 at 11:51 am

Jackie: “Why do we promote virtues if the govt is going to be given the works of mercy and charity to perform?”
You raise a very compelling question, Jackie. Very few will admit to this, but I’m sure a lot of people think: “Why do I need to help people who are already being helped by government programs funded by taxes on my income?” Under the current regime now in power, government spending as a portion of the entire economy is going from about 24% to 39%. This crowds out the private economy and the money that private individuals will have available for charitable giving. Another factor, sadly, that will harm the charitable and educational work of all religious groups in this country (as if that isn’t the aim of the Alinskyite-in-Chief in the Oval Office).
You were very fortunate, incidentally, to have been taught by that Croatian priest back in the 8th grade. Sounds like a remarkable individual.

ds0490

posted March 21, 2010 at 5:41 pm

“Everyone is focused on abortion, abortion, abortion. Why is there no similar outrage regarding $500,000,000,000 — half a trillion dollars! — from seniors’ Medicare and Medicare Advantage cuts?”
Ah yes…Medicare is now the darling of the GOP. Funny, St. Ronald Reagan didn’t think so. I have to wonder about those Republicans who scream about damaging Medicare in this latest bill. Do they now renounce the teachings of St. Ronnie?
Reaganite, care to weigh in and tell us if Reagan was right or not?

ds0490

posted March 21, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Because the Church is too busy protecting its pedophiles to worry about taking care of the poor and sick in this nation. There is nothing at all stopping the Church, or any religious organization for that matter, from stepping up and beginning charitable work in this nation. Contributions to religious organizations are tax deductible and property purchased and used in the course of the religious mission of these organizations is exempt from tax. These are advantages that secular healthcare organizations do not enjoy.
The only thing stopping the church universal or the Catholic Church from doing this is their own unwillingness to commit the resources necessary to tackle the job.

Jackie

posted March 21, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Your Name: I have not seen any cell phone photos or video or arrest statements by police verifying these reports of abuse you cite. I would not put it past the Alinskyite progressives to make false claims, put “plants” in among the TEA Partiers, etc. When I was in DC for the big one 9/12/09, all the 100′s of thousands there were very polite. Left the place clean and not trashed.I would be careful what I repeated without some verification. I am a retired school principal; I always check circulating e-mails on snopes.com, and have learned that statements made on blogs and commentary pages are not always accurate.

Charles H. Garrido

posted March 21, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Hello!
Unfortunately must of those politicians Representative in the Congress
are being ‘grease’ more Dollars “Corruption” sooner or later
will see how are the ones voting the Yes Or NO. Who are Republicans, Democrats, Independents, Socialism, Communists Blacks or Whites tell me
actually said Healh or NOT Health,