The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

Kennedy: “I’m not going to indulge in this debate anymore”

posted by jmcgee

“These are personal issues of faith for me. I’m not going to indulge in this debate anymore. It’s really for me about what my constituents are most interested in now, and that is getting a health care bill passed that helps improve their lives.”

– Rep. Patrick Kennedy, in his first news conference since his standoff with his bishop.

pagansister

posted November 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm

I am a resident of RI, and am proud of Kennedy for sticking by his statement of not talking about the disagreement between him and Tobin. As he said, the matter of faith is personal and no ones business. Kennedy wasn’t elected to follow what the RC wants, but what the voters want. He tries to do that. Kennedy is to be admired, for helping to get the health care bill passed, and for believeing women have a right to choose. Tobin doesn’t like the fact that Kennedy thinks for himself as did his father.

elmo

posted November 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm

If Tobin didn’t want to talk about his discussions with his bishop, why did he divulge this information in the first place?
I don’t admire Kennedy at all for helping women kill their children. And if he wants to “think for himself” and convince himself this is okay then that is his right, but he should stop calling himself Catholic because he is not in communion with the Catholic Church.

Michele

posted November 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm

pagansister…NOW Kennedy wants to keep it private? He’s the one who revealed that the Bishop ‘privately’ asked him to refrain from Communion in 2007 because of Kennedy’s outspoken endorsement of a position that is totally against what the Catholic Church teaches! Kennedy is the one who created this difficult situation. And NOW he wants it both ways! Private and Public! What an arrogant JERK Kennedy is!

Jean-Therese Delacroix

posted November 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Yay! Thank God — he realized that he’d look a like fool after what he did! But as “elmo” said, why did Kennedy do it anyway? It just doesn’t make any sense to divulge and then say that I don’t want to divulge anymore.
Just makes me more suspicious . . . .

cathyf

posted November 30, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Kennedy: “I’m not going to indulge in this debate anymore.”
Translation: “Oops I got called out for lying so I better shut up now.”
(If nothing else, it shows that Kennedy has mastered the First Law of Holes.)

Cory

posted December 1, 2009 at 7:13 am

Was anyone else there last night? I was. This was an event put on by the Brown University school of Medicine as the final part of a three part series on how the medical community could improve care in conjunction with political reform. Dean Wing had asked that this extraneous potitical stuff be tabled to focus in the issue. What he declined to respond to was a man who needed to be restrained by three cops so he would stop screening “the creator of planned parenthood is trying to commit genocide” at the top of his lungs.
As for the church, aren’t they supposed to guide you, not bully politicians unto voting their way? Also, perhaps abortion would not be such an issue in our society if we did more things like teach sex ediacation and provide healthcare to all….just a thought….

Lauren

posted December 1, 2009 at 8:42 am

Cory–
Good points about sex education, but it should be noted that the Church does not support the teaching of contraceptives. I’m pro choice, but I think Kennedy should of dealt with this privately; I suspect by going public he gambled that public outlash at the Bishop’s decision would perhaps somehow force him to over turn it. (my opinion). I am concerned that the Church is perhaps getting more focused on abortion and not poverty (both of which have been shown to be linked).

DML

posted December 1, 2009 at 9:22 am

If I had received a letter from a high ranking cleric that I was effectively excommunicated for my political beliefs, I think it would be helpful to let everyone know. Otherwise the offender would be allowed to continue to spiritually harm others and no one would be able to connect the dots. Since Kennedy is the victim, it is his prerogative to start and stop discussing the issue.

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted December 1, 2009 at 10:08 am

DML…
He wasn’t “effectively excommunicated for his political beliefs.”
He was told to refrain from receiving one of the sacraments, because he was publicly endorsing a policy that goes against the teachings of his church.
Further, this was a private communication that happened two years ago and, for whatever reason, the congressman chose this moment to make it public.
Dcn. G.

Your Name

posted December 1, 2009 at 10:55 am

Mr. Kennedy (and all the other liberals) want to have the cake and eat it too. They want to discent from Catholic Doctrine and yet continue to be “Catholics in good standing”. Mr Kennedy (and all the other liberals) can vote any way they want, promote abortion, gay “marriage”, embryonic stem cell research, cloning, euthanisia and any else in the political correct book, that is their right and prerogative as U.S. citizens; but they have no right to that and still have communion. The State has its laws, The Church has its own doctrines and laws too. In addition all abortion and gay marriage are against Natural Law and violate the fundamental dignity of the human being.

Mere_Christian

posted December 1, 2009 at 11:31 am

Time to treat Kennedy as you would a liberal or a progressive.
Er,
I mean a pagan or a tax collector.
The Church has done its job. Kennedy has made his “choice.”
There are plenty of lefty Churches at which this guy can find a seat.

pagansister

posted December 1, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Kennedy wasn’t elected by the RC…but by the people. His job is to support a law that has been in place for over 30 years…a woman’s right to choose. (Roe V Wade). The RC has no place in politics. Also as pointed out very well by Cory, the subject last night at Brown wasn’t to discuss abortion. The rude and obnoxious man got what he deserved, taken out of the meeting, and Kennedy did as he should have done…refusing to discuss it. I wasn’t there, but the local news has run the tape of the situation often.

elmo

posted December 1, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Roman Catholics also vote and elect politicians to office. We also have the right to voice our opinions in the public square, including politics. RCs have our place in politics, the same as anyone else. Politicians do not have to support laws that are injust (i.e., Jim Crow, slavery, Roe v. Wade), and if they are Catholic they have to choose which is more important to them: winning elections or their eternal soul.

Your Name

posted December 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm

“The RC has no place in politics. ”
Spoken like a true know-nothing bigot, pagansister. That’s the kind of exclusionary class we’ve come to expect.