The Deacon's Bench

The Deacon's Bench

I feel like George Jefferson

posted by deacon greg kandra

I’m movin’ on up.

In the next several days, you’ll find “The Deacon’s Bench” at a new address, with a new look. The good people at Beliefnet have invited me over there, to take up the Catholic corner of real estate that used to be occupied by Amy Welborn and David Gibson, two FOBs (Friends of the Bench) who kindly suggested to the landlords that I would be a good tenant and not make much of a mess. (Thankfully, no one thought to ask my wife for a reference.)

I’ll pass along more information soon, along with the new address. I’m told the Beliefnetters will redirect readers automatically to the new site; once there you’ll find all my archives and the usual stuff. The blog will be the same, the content will be the same, and I hope the tone and spirit of The Bench will remain the same, too.

Stay tuned.

Meantime, the new header for the blog is below. (Yeah, I know. But what could we do? George Clooney was unavailable.)

god googler

posted September 23, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Awesome!

Charleybrown

posted September 23, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Looking forward to reading your posts at Beliefnet! Perhaps your newfound fame will allow you to hobnob with Clooney and convert him!

Fran

posted September 24, 2009 at 7:02 am

That is amazing and fantastic news! Thanks be to God! Prayers and every good wish to you Deacon Greg.And don't forget us little guys!! (As if you would!!)God bless your efforts to proclaim the Gospel always, using words and images, along with community and stimulating conversation!

Art

posted September 24, 2009 at 7:43 am

Wow !!! Congratulations Deacon Greg, your audience is growing leaps and bounds. They know a good thing when they see it obviously!Wishing you much continued success in the endeavor.Bless you and those who assist you in performing this wonderful service to the internet world.I believe God is smiling right this minute.:}

Holly Hansen

posted September 24, 2009 at 8:02 am

Congrats Deacon that's wonderful.

Andrew

posted September 24, 2009 at 9:57 am

Wishing you great success in your new Web home. Congratulations.

Terry

posted September 24, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Deacon Greg,Just curious….what is the advantage to moving your website?

Deacon Greg Kandra

posted September 24, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Terry…Beliefnet is the largest spiritual website in the world. It has the potential to bring the Bench to a larger audience — and, presumably, a wider range of readers, both Catholic and non-Catholic. Dcn. G.

Terry

posted September 24, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Deacon Greg,Then…congratulations!…I just didn't want to lose track of you.

jdmccullough

posted September 24, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Well, here's one vote the other way. Beliefnet is swamped and covered with intrusive advertizing. It simply screams commercialization. Dc. Greg's site here is clean and quick. That's over. Here, he's early to the story and writes well. That will still be true over on Beliefnet, but the experience of getting to him and enjoying what he does so well will have to be picked out of the drop downs, screen squeezers and teaser pictures. My opinion is that is too bad. Jim McCullough, DREOur Lady of GraceGreensboro

J.T.

posted September 25, 2009 at 6:11 am

Sorry if I'm not excited. I agreee with Jim McCullough. I'm not a huge Beliefnet fan. It's like turning your neighbourhood deli into a chain supermarket.