Dadequate

Dadequate

When It’s Time to Tell Your Dog Goodbye

posted by Jason Boyett

Yesterday was a hard day. After 13 years, we had to say goodbye to Joe, our Yorkie. This is a photo our son took of him about a year ago:

Yes, he was goofy-looking. Joe had bad teeth, and a couple years back they all had to be pulled (except for one molar way in the back). The result was that his mouth rarely closed all the way, and his tongue lolled out quite frequently. He was really small — even for a Yorkie — very skinny, and always a little weird. He trembled almost constantly, was skittish from the time we got him when he was 9 months old, and barked furiously whenever one of us took out the trash. But he loved us and loved to cuddle. There’s a lot to be said for a warm, fuzzy 4-lb. dog who’ll cuddle with little kids.

Joe has been mostly deaf and blind for at least the last two years. The hearing loss was kind of funny because Joe would whimper and moan as he dug himself into his bed every night. We’re pretty sure he couldn’t hear himself and didn’t know he was making such ridiculous noises. His eyes were completely clouded up, but he could get around by memory and some remaining peripheral vision. The gape-mouthed drooling had increased dramatically. His face hollowed out, making his jaw nearly disappear and his already big eyes bulge out. He looked really, really weird. And other than the occasional walk and a few forced play times from Daisy, our Yorkie puppy (who quickly surpassed Joe in size and weight), Joe didn’t do much. He ate. He slept. He was a constant, comfortable, funny-looking presence in our lives.

Things started going downhill this weekend. He barely slept at all Sunday night (nor did we). He whimpered all night long, finally falling into a fitful, shivery sleep around 4 am. He stopped eating. He stopped sleeping, instead preferring to pace around our house all day long, never settling in. His back was hunched and his tail tucked. His funny bed-digging whimpering stopped being funny. It sounded uncomfortable and manic. Something happened to his memory, too. He was running into walls and furniture. He kept falling down as he tried to walk, slipping on the wood floors, stumbling on the carpet. Joe wasn’t himself.

After another sleepless night on Monday, we took him to the vet on Tuesday. He had an infection. It made him dehydrated and constipated. They gave him some fluids via a tiny IV in his papery skin, helped him get cleaned out, gave us some medicine and sent him home. The vet thought we might try some homeopathic stuff to calm his nerves. He mentioned dementia was starting to set in.

Crap.

We had another sleepless night on Tuesday. He couldn’t get still. He wouldn’t eat or drink. He peed on the floor. He was messed up, suffering. So were we.

Dogs don’t live as long as we do, and every dog owner knows they’re going to get to this point. The average life expectancy of a dog is 12.8 years. Only 40% of small-breed dogs live past 10 years. Joe was old. Clearly he was miserable this week, and the question we had to ask ourselves was: How long would it take to get past this infection? And even if he got past this infection, would he really get “better”? Maybe the internal discomfort would improve. Maybe he’d be able to sit still. But he’d still be blind, and deaf, and spiraling into dementia. Was the stumbling due to the dehydration or his deteriorating brain? Had he suddenly lost his peripheral vision? Would he ever enjoy eating again? Sleeping? Would he enjoy anything again?

That was the question: Moving forward, could we anticipate a good, doggy life for Joe? We wanted to, but we just couldn’t see it. So do we let him suffer for the next week while we try to make him better with medicine and homeopathy and constant discomfort? Or do we give him a merciful exit, because the idea of what exactly “better” would look like was so uncertain?

I found an old 2003 piece at Slate by Jon Katz about this agonizing decision, and read this paragraph several times:

There’s no Idiot’s Guide for this question, no handbook. The many points of view are strongly held. One vet I know says a dog should be euthanized “when it can no longer live the life of a dog—and only the owner knows when that really is.” A breeder says she puts her dogs down when “their suffering exceeds their ability to take pleasure in life.” A trainer I respect believes her dog should live as long as it can eat.

We decided to give Joe an exit. We called the vet. I took him in at 11 am, yesterday morning. He whimpered the whole way there. I cried openly the whole way home.

We told the kids when they got home from school. We cried all over again.

We tried to help them understand that our decision was a terrible one to have to make, but it was the right thing for Joe. He couldn’t tell us exactly what he was feeling, but we could see clearly that he was hurting. That he was not right. And because Joe couldn’t tell us what to do or make his own decisions, we needed to act on his behalf.

Again, from Slate:

To love dogs is to know death and to accept that there’s never a time we are more morally obliged to speak for them than when they face the end of their lives.

Someday, maybe, we’ll walk our kids through the decision-making process, because there’s a big, valuable lesson in there about compassion and empathy. But today isn’t the time for object lessons. Today is a time to be sad, because we loved Joe and we miss him.

Gina

posted September 15, 2011 at 2:41 pm

So very sad for you and your family. It is such a hard thing to lose a beloved pet. I’m sorry.

Jason Boyett

posted September 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

Tim: I’ve been there with letting your dog walk away with someone else. Before Joe came along, my wife and I adopted Charlie from animal rescue. She was great, but ended up shedding way too much (we have Yorkies today because they’re hypoallergenic). After a few months, we couldn’t handle the allergies, and gave Charlie away to a widow who wanted a dog and lived outside of town. It truly is heartbreaking to watch them leave your side with someone else…knowing you’ll never see them again.

Tim McGeary

posted September 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Your retelling of this story brought me back to when we had to give up our beloved dog when we had our first child. He was out of control because we couldn’t care for him with the same attention and time we had before the baby came. Since he was young enough (around 7) we found a local organization to help place him in a new home.

Taking him there was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Watching him walk away wagging his tail not knowing he would never see us again broke my heart, and I weeped uncontrollably the entire drive home and for an hour with my wife.

Finding out a few weeks later that he had adapted wonderfully with a family who had a school-aged daughter made me feel proud of him, and glad he was resilient.

Judy5cents

posted September 15, 2011 at 9:49 am

Take comfort in the fact that you gave Joe a long and happy life. I am sure in his 13 years he had plenty of hugs, treats, toys and a warm place to curl up and sleep every night. He never saw the inside of a shelter cage or experienced abuse, like so many dogs do. And when it was time, you gave him a peaceful, painless end to that happy life.

I’m not sp sure about heaven for people, but I honestly believe that all good dogs go there. Like Joe.

angela

posted September 15, 2011 at 9:46 am

Oh, I’m so sorry! That is a tough thing to go through no matter what age you are. Thinking about you and your family today.

Tony

posted September 15, 2011 at 9:26 am

Heart wrenching! Especially since I can remember when we reached this decision with my sheltie. He was like my little brother. I grew up with him and we were like best friends. I wasn’t living at home anymore but when I got the call from my parents, I sobbed like a baby.

To man’s best friend! See you in heaven Rusty and Joe!

John

posted September 15, 2011 at 8:52 am

I see this day coming on the horizon for my family and our beloved beagle. To Joe! Cheers!

Alise

posted September 15, 2011 at 8:10 am

I’m sorry Jason. Saying good-bye to a family pet is never easy. Hugs to you and your family.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Dadequate. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Letting Go With Guy Finley Happy Blogging!!!

posted 9:17:19am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

Closing the Door on Dadequate
As of this post I'm shutting down my Dadequate blog. It's been less than half a year since my first post here, but it's time to move along to other projects. Nothing dramatic -- I'm not quitting fatherhood or anything. But I've had a really busy last few months, my posting frequency has suffered,

posted 5:20:44pm Dec. 01, 2011 | read full post »

The Crazy Physics of Starling Flight
Sorry for the paucity of posts this week and last. I've been knee-deep in my next book and am facing a self-imposed deadline. In the meantime, check out this video of a flock of starlings. The physics of bird behavior in flocks is absolutely fascinating, and I can't begin to explain or comprehend

posted 10:08:18am Nov. 10, 2011 | read full post »

Robot Riding a Bicycle
Behold: a video of a robot riding a bicycle. In case that didn't register, I will say it again: A ROBOT RIDING A BICYCLE. What will they do next? Steal our jobs? Mow our lawns? Defeat Ken Jennings on Jeopardy? Start preparing your children now for the robot apocalypse. [HT: The Kid Shou

posted 9:49:44am Nov. 03, 2011 | read full post »

Halloween
The great thing about the persistently growing zombie fad is that anyone -- at any point during their day, regardless of their activity -- can be turned into a zombie and therefore find themselves stuck in that outfit for the rest of their undead lives. Thus, our costumes for 2011: Zombie Businessma

posted 4:56:06pm Oct. 31, 2011 | read full post »