Dadequate

Dadequate

What Did Your Dad Teach You?

posted by Jason Boyett

This morning’s post is nothing but a question. I’m relying on you for the content:

With Father’s Day coming up, it seems a good time to reflect. All of us learn stuff from our fathers. Sometimes good things and sometimes bad. Sometimes we are taught intentionally and sometimes not. So in the comments today, I’d like you to share:

What did you learn from your father?

(My answer will appear in the comments, too.)

Doug Mitchell

posted August 26, 2011 at 10:29 am

it’s in the URL…Pictures…

Rebecca

posted June 17, 2011 at 8:17 pm

My Dad taught me:

– “Your as good as anyone else. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad about yourself”
– Girls can do anything boys can do – and he fully supports me being a pastor.
– How to bait a hook – a skill I’m very proud of
– The importance of faith – even while he was professing any of his own (it’s complicated)
– How to check my oil, refill the windshield fluid, how to pump my own gas – and how to spot a bad mechanic
– The importance of being kind, generous, selfless, honest and hard-working. I’m still working on all those, but he’s set the example.

I could go on…I’ve been blessed with an incredible Dad.

LSaik

posted June 16, 2011 at 9:27 pm

As most have noted, we learn both positives and negatives from our parents.

Something I believe I learnt from my Dad is being faithful, consistent, seeing things thru to the end and the importance of integrity.

Our family lived the furtherst away from our church but we were always the first to arrive and open up (Dad was a deacon so he had keys).

My dad passed away from a severe anurysm when I was 14 years old. He was unlocking the Church gates when the anurysm struck. What a way to go.

Suzy Winter

posted June 16, 2011 at 8:10 pm

My dad did have faults, some were no fault of his own, but the circumstances that drove him to the bottle at times. But – he was a man of honor, conviction, and integrity. So what did he teach me?

1. It’s never too late to start over – he began a very successful business at 52 years of age.

2. He taught me to literally face my giant (bully) next door by teaching me to fight. I learned that with your dad cheering you on – you can overcome those obstacles and emerge victorious.

3. I learned my way under the hood and everything else under my cars.

4. I learned how to shoot lay ups and catch fly balls.

5. I learned that in his final years, while Alzheimer’s robbed him of his memories – including me – that while the grass withers and the flower fades – the Word of God is eternal. Meaning- my dad, up until day he died, still completely understood the Bible.

6. I’ve learned that even now, I still miss my daddy, but thankful for the good and bad.

Chad Jones

posted June 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Much like the commenter above, my dad taught me by negative example:

1) Don’t respect women–they exist to please you.

2) The penis is primary–if it looks good, woo, and jump, it.

3) When times are tough, bail.

Because of this, I’m committed to serial monogamy, and my wife and I will celebrate our 21st anniversary later this year. And thankfully, I’ve a great father-in-law, who loves me, taught me trade (that has since become my career), loves my kids, takes us on vacations, etc. Yeah, I’m truly blessed.

Jana Riess

posted June 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm

My dad taught me mostly by negative example — don’t abandon your family and steal every cent. Don’t drink too much. Don’t belittle your spouse. Those are all things he did, unfortunately.

This story gets a lot better. I’ve been blessed in adulthood to have a father-in-law who is kind, committed to family, funny, and honest to a fault. He has been a fabulous grandfather to my daughter, and he blesses our lives every day.

Jason Boyett

posted June 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm

@Matt:

I hear you. I think about childhoods like yours a lot when I think of my own role as a parent. It keeps me in a carpe diem mode for sure (on my behalf as well as my kids’). Thanks for a timely reminder.

Matt

posted June 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm

My dad taught me that life is short.

Chip Chandler

posted June 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm

My dad taught me by example that when you find work that you truly love, you shouldn’t leave it behind just because you think there might be something bigger and better around the corner. Some people are happy trying new careers on for size, but others are lucky to find what they were born to be. I wish I’d paid more attention.

Joel Milligan

posted June 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm

My dad taught me…

…to never, ever quit. No matter how hard the task may be, I need to do whatever it takes to complete it.

…to give 110% effort, whether I am cleaning the toilets of the church or coaching in a State Championship basketball game.

…to love God and love people with all my heart.

I am blessed to have Pat Milligan as my Dad!

David Nilsen

posted June 16, 2011 at 12:55 pm

A love for nature and adventure, a love for science, the joy of stories, a lot of Bible knowledge, and how to have fun without spending much money. There’s more, but those are the big ones.

I’m writing about fathers today at my blog if anyone wants to check it out.

Dave

posted June 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

1. kindness, Dad is kind to everyone most all the time

2. finish the job. even if it’s late and you’re tired

3. with a good shop manual you can fix a lot of stuff yourself

There’s always more, but those are the ones that come to mind first. He’s a great man and I love him.

Clint Hagen

posted June 16, 2011 at 11:14 am

1. The value of hard work
2. To serve others without expecting recognition or reward
3. To whistle through my teeth
4. To love/hate all Philadelphia sports teams (it’s complicated!)
5. And he always encouraged my talents and interests, as out of the mainstream as they might have been

Scott Turbeville

posted June 16, 2011 at 10:33 am

6 Things My Dad Taught Me

1. How to fish and enjoy yourself even if you go home empty handed :)
2. A love for Chuck Norris and the A-Team
3. That there is just no better summer snack than boiled peanuts
4. To do justice
5. A value for Spiritual Disciplines
6. A love for God and family

I love my Dad and I’m thankful that he still plays a pivotal role in my life.

Ben

posted June 16, 2011 at 10:17 am

My dad taught me hard work, honesty, and love. I’m thankful for him.

Brent McCoy

posted June 16, 2011 at 10:03 am

My Dad taught me the value of EVERY person. He was my coach in Little League and what stands out to me is that he gave EVERYONE a chance and paid attention to each kid on that team. Everyone matters. I love my Dad.

Brent

Jason Boyett

posted June 16, 2011 at 9:53 am

What my dad taught me:

1. How to flyfish.

2. A love for nature and outdoor pursuits, including camping, backpacking, and the joy of cooking over a campfire.

3. A passion for knowledge, facts, history, and reading. (My dad has a well-deserved reputation for leaping up to grab an encyclopedia, laptop, or issue from his 40-year collection of National Geographic magazines anytime a factual question is raised.)

4. A healthy respect for art, design, and creativity.

There’s more, of course, but that’s a good list.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Dadequate. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. HereĀ is anotherĀ blog you may also enjoy: Letting Go With Guy Finley Happy Blogging!!!

posted 9:17:19am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

Closing the Door on Dadequate
As of this post I'm shutting down my Dadequate blog. It's been less than half a year since my first post here, but it's time to move along to other projects. Nothing dramatic -- I'm not quitting fatherhood or anything. But I've had a really busy last few months, my posting frequency has suffered,

posted 5:20:44pm Dec. 01, 2011 | read full post »

The Crazy Physics of Starling Flight
Sorry for the paucity of posts this week and last. I've been knee-deep in my next book and am facing a self-imposed deadline. In the meantime, check out this video of a flock of starlings. The physics of bird behavior in flocks is absolutely fascinating, and I can't begin to explain or comprehend

posted 10:08:18am Nov. 10, 2011 | read full post »

Robot Riding a Bicycle
Behold: a video of a robot riding a bicycle. In case that didn't register, I will say it again: A ROBOT RIDING A BICYCLE. What will they do next? Steal our jobs? Mow our lawns? Defeat Ken Jennings on Jeopardy? Start preparing your children now for the robot apocalypse. [HT: The Kid Shou

posted 9:49:44am Nov. 03, 2011 | read full post »

Halloween
The great thing about the persistently growing zombie fad is that anyone -- at any point during their day, regardless of their activity -- can be turned into a zombie and therefore find themselves stuck in that outfit for the rest of their undead lives. Thus, our costumes for 2011: Zombie Businessma

posted 4:56:06pm Oct. 31, 2011 | read full post »