Conversations with God

Conversations with God

What is it that God really wants?

Friday is Book Day on the blog, when we take a look at books – old and new — that I highly recommend you not miss. This week’s recommended reading: What God Wants, Neale Donald Walsch
I want you to know that it is not my intention to review in this space many of my own books (as I have proven over the past four months, during which none of my own writings have been mentioned.) I also want you to know that every once in a while I am going to include observations about some of the specific books in the Conversations with God body of work, mainly because I believe that they are significant works of spiritual insight — and because I am clear that the insight and wisdom found in these writings has not come from me, but, rather, through me from Another Source.
Between now and the holidays, especially, I will include, every so often, a look at one of the nine books in the CwG cosmology because…well, frankly, because I want you to know about them, and to read them, and the even share them with others if you feel moved to do so. DOes this seem blatantly self-promoting? I hope not, but it may, depending upon your point of view about me. You see, I see myself as a person on a mission. My life mission is to change the world’s mind about God. Why? Because I think a great deal hinges on this, including our ability as a humanity to create peace, love, joy, and abundance in our world in the years ahead, and not the Nightmare Tomorrow that so many fear we are now creating.
I am shameless in that undertaking, and so, indeed, I may “come off” now and then as self-promoting. What I do hope that you will see is that what I am trying to “promote” here is the message of the New Spirituality — which, in turn, seeks to advance a new Cultural Story into the world, a cultural story that could change the world forever.
The biggest danger in the world today is not the asking of questions, but the assumption that we have all the answers. This is the point made in the CwG book to which I draw your attention today. It is the eighth and second-to-last book in the CwG series, and it is called What God Wants.
This book is dangerous.
Why?
Because it explores with startling freshness the most important question you could ever ask — and offers the most extraordinary answer you could ever imagine. That answer is so theologically revolutionary and spiritually empowering that it could change the course of human history. If embraced, it most certainly will change your life.
There are people and institutions in the world, long in place and long in power, that want neither of these outcomes to occur. They would rather that you put this book down right now.
So ask yourself, When was the last time you read a dangerous book?
I really do not want to “review” my own work here, so for the purposes of this blog posting today I am going to quote some reviews offered by others and posted on Internet bookstore websites…

…Hang on to your seats, because author Neale Donald Walsch challenges the sacred cows of every major world religion by daring to examine what God (truly) wants. An equal opportunity offender, his singular, simple answer to the question “What does God want?” will surprise most, offend the inert close-minded, and thrill those who are already (all ready!) riding the wave of New Spirituality.
Walsch explores two basic questions in his book:
1. Who and What is God?
2. What does God want, and why?
Declaring that fear and guilt are the real enemies of humanity (and differentiating them from caution and remorse) Walsh traces war, world hunger, violence, sexism, racism and more, directly to humanity’s belief about God and what He wants.
On June 23, 2004, the fascinating results of a scientific survey conducted by Harris Interactive hit the wire services: 69% of adult Americans believe religious differences are the biggest hurdle to global peace. This overwhelming percentage is evidence that individuals are starting to wake up and realize that humanity’s beliefs about God and what He wants is THE biggest problem in the world today.
For many nations, entire social and judicial structures are built upon beliefs about various interpretations of sacred scriptures. The major religions, without exception, advocate an “us versus them” Separation Theology. In the 19th century, Americans sincerely accepted the biblical story of Noah’s son Ham to justify slavery. In that time, to raise one’s voice in protest to enslavement would have been met with persecution, accusations of heresy, and possibly death.
Yet, even now, many followers of religions such as Islam, Christianity, and Judaism justify discrimination, superiority (“specialness”), indifference, hatred, and violence based on what the “sacred scriptures” say. At the risk of being labeled an infidel, subversive, or “lost sinner”, Walsch sounds a clarion call that NOW is the time to ruthlessly examine what humanity believes about God, and what Deity wants from humanity.
Walsch asserts:
“When it comes to its most sacred beliefs, our society will not tolerate new ideas that violate doctrine — or even question it. Thus, we are trying to build a twenty-first-century reality with first-century moral, ethical, and spiritual tools. This would be akin to a surgeon stepping into a modern-day operating room with a very sharp stone. It is not necessary to build our tomorrows with such primitive tools. The prohibition against new ideas and new thoughts about God can and must be lifted. A new discussion about God and What God Wants must begin.”
Fortunately for humanity, Walsch (and Atria Books) had the courage to open the discussion by asking difficult questions, presenting the global consequences of centuries of religious assumptions, and offering a compellingly simple solution to mankind’s greatest challenges.
Walsch examines ideas on morality, suffering, free will, death, male and female, money, sex, and so on through the lens of Separation Theology (which is what we’ve had up until now), and how those same ideas look through the lens of Unity Theology.
While humanity is in some deep do-do right now, the good news is that we can choose TODAY to make different choices-including how we choose to see God, life, and our fellow man.
Indeed, our very lives — and the life of the planet — may depend on it.
As Walsch succinctly puts it: “We human beings do not need to be saved from the `snares of the Devil’, we need to be saved from ourselves. We are threatening to condemn ourselves to Hell right here on earth. We can yet create Heaven on earth, but we must choose now very wisely…That new understanding can launch the Thousand Years of Peace of which it has been written. It can give birth to a Golden Age of Glory.”
Amen and Amen.
Janet Boyer/JanetBoyer.com
First of all, I was compelled to read this book as I have loved others by Neale Donald Walsch.
I picked it up and finished it a couple hours later. In my opinion it simplified the entire spiritual journey for me. Without negating belief systems/religions, it offers a fresh new prospective of God to the human experience on this planet.
I had a deep feeling of peace and contentment upon finishing the book and I would recommend it highly to the spiritual seeker.
Margaret M. Keegan
what can I say, I just loved reading it. it touched me and I wont even try to figure out what “god” wrote it – its just plain fun to read. highly recommended.
Gunnar Kossatz “Samvado” (Hamburg)
If you enjoy books that push your envelope, this one will do it for you, I promise!
Joan Kelly
If you are uninitiated into the Conversation with God series, this book will give you a lot of the information in a straightforward format. This isn’t set up with the questions and answers format that all of the other books have, so if you were turned off by that, this book will be a great read for you. You need this information! It will free your soul to be the very grandest version of the greatest vision you ever had about yourself!
J. Kennedy
So there you have it. A smattering of reviews posted online by readers. I consider What God Wants to be one of the most important books I have ever written, and one of the most powerful in the CwG series. It is the “perfect book” to point another to if they are asking, “What is this ‘Conversations with God thing’ that you are into? What is that all about?”
This is the perfect I-can-read-it-on-the-airplane book. It’s also a wonderful book to accidentally leave on the airplane (or in the hair styling salon, or on the subway, or at the doctor’s office) for someone else to pick up!
Hope you enjoy it!

Mysie

posted October 5, 2007 at 3:03 am

I finally overode my procastination and resistance and bought Conversations with God #1 today.
I am beginning my journey
I do not feel it is a mystical journey.
It reads like reality to me.

Walter

posted October 5, 2007 at 3:54 am

K.Mounsher

posted October 5, 2007 at 9:40 am

I have yet to read Neil’s latest book but I have recently ploughed my way through Conversation’s With God 1, 2 and 3.
I would just like to thank you Neil for your courage and honesty in writing and publishing the incredible and radical information in these books. I can honestly say that they have shaken my previous beliefs about God and life to their very foundations and given me so much hope and peace and love, you have truly given me back to myself.
Namasate xoxo
P.S- Any plans to bring your seminars to Australia in the future?

noo ya don't

posted October 5, 2007 at 11:10 am

“‘…You need this information! It will free your soul to be the very grandest version of the greatest vision you ever had about yourself!’
J. Kennedy”
You don’t “need” this information!! You don’t “need” these books!! and your soul is already freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wisdum

posted October 5, 2007 at 11:26 am

Re- Walter | October 5, 2007 3:54 AM
** thank you so much Walter ! Somebody has finally produced a viseo of what this is ALL about ! I have been trying to say this for years, with words (but we are ALL operationg out of a different dictionary (and words, or Word is ALL that we are) They say a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is that to the 100 power !
This how God looks like
** Right, as far as God being the Whole. But here’s another perspective (and perspective is everything !) this is also how God sees it, from God’s perspective, and God said “It is good”. They say you can read a Newspaper,from the satelites, and you can detect the movement of a fly (they can’t tell what sex it is, of course, unless you flip it over, if you catch my drift !) This doesn’t even compare to what God sees ! (God can tell what sex it is, and what’s crawling up its ass !) We ALL need to watch this … thanks again Walter !…Someday the Truth, the Light and the Way, will prevail . . on the other hand, maybe it already is with the I AM !
LUV 2 ALL
Wisdum

Carmen rasmussen

posted October 5, 2007 at 12:55 pm

i raed your 8 Book,,Naele,
What God Want ?
God want to love hem to worship
to adore hem surrender hem to be greteful hem,
i pray for evry moment thank for evrything
godt or bod sadnes sorrowful pindful defricion
lonlynes happynes ,
all what hapeind of my life i want
to thank God because i ven all this of my life,,

Susan

posted October 5, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Have you read ‘God is not Great’ by Christopher Hitchens? I haven’t, but I’ve heard him debate his views and most are more than valid. His premise is that unspeakable evil is done by what we perceive as doing “What God Wants.” Different cultures at different times imbue God with wanting us to perform various rites of mutilation and torture upon one another. He asserts that there is no god and the world and all its people would be far better off if the fantasy were abandoned altogether.
What would you say to him? His mind is made up, so perhaps nothing?

Wisdum

posted October 5, 2007 at 4:01 pm

Re -Susan | October 5, 2007 3:09 PM
Have you read ‘God is not Great’ by Christopher Hitchens?
** Nope, but I’ve debated a whole lot of atheists/scientists here at bellynet, and the only solid concensus is “You can neither prove or disprove the existance of God” (if you’re interested you can search Wisdum here) Faith is the belief in something unproven. Science is the examination or testing of physical evidence. Since this is not possible with spirituality, souls,God … as far as they are concerned, it does not exist !
** Uhhhh … that all still comes down to man’s inhumanity to man. If there is no God, then it would be ludicrous to blame it on God (duh !)I agree with the atheists that “There has been more atrocity done on this planet, in the name of God, than anything else !” (But if there is no God, then who should take the blame?)
**If you can bring it down to “God is Love…Love is God” then it comes down to “Do you believe in Love?”. The problem with that is, there is no concrete definition of Love either. What you define as Love obviously can be worlds apart from someone else.
“When the Power of Love, overcomes the Love of Power, the world shall know Peace” (Jimi Hendrix)
LUV 2 ALL
Wisdum

Shari

posted October 5, 2007 at 5:58 pm

It is time to wake up here on earth. Neale is one of the ones whose voice I have heard and enjoyed listening to. Not only have I read the books (all but What God Wants) but also have the tapes of Converstaions with god and enjoy listening to them. Usually on a long or short trip this is something that I have enjoyed! Thank You Very Much!!! Keep up the good work despite any critism.
Shari

Jordan Jones

posted October 6, 2007 at 4:32 pm

Dear Neale,
We’re very excited about your new book, “What God Wants” AND our connection with it.
We don’t blame you for “shameless self-promotion” because we’re on the very same mission to change the world for the very same reason. What’s even more interesting is that it certainly looks like our research and revolutionary findings over the last several years complements your work on Conversations with God.
You see, we seem to have found the True “Holy Grail.” BUT, it’s not what you think. This is all-new information no one has ever seen before, anywhere.
It turns out that over the last several millenniums, this “thing” we found has been given many names from Egyptian Gods and Goddesses to “Christ” and later “Holy Grail.” But it none of those; it’s a real, concrete, ubiquitous thing.
It’s really all about ancient man’s ability to communicate with God directly for the purpose of moment-to-moment guidance. There was a time when man didn’t do anything without being told by God what God wants directly inside their own brains. The knowledge of this ability in later centuries was eradicated and replaced with god-men who claimed power to do that for us, and tell us what God was and how God worked. It was all wrong and we’ve been going in many wrong directions in every area of life. We have conclusive proof with hard, easily confirmable evidence: photos, illustrations, historical and scientific fact. Once you see it, you will never forget it; it’s the whole story and it will blow your mind.
So we are approaching “conversations with God” from an historical, anthropological, scientific, and sociological point of view, while you approach it from a spiritual content point of view. Wouldn’t it be a great approach to
team up your spiritual content with our scientific and historical proof that man can—and did—indeed have constant communication with God.
Strangely coincidentally, you say your book is dangerous and the title of the first in our eBook series is entitled, “True Grail: What Could Be More Terrifying?” Yes, it’s terrifying (and dangerous) in two ways: Terrifying to suddenly find out that man’s security blanket—”Christ”—is a “thing” that ancients knew as the key “in-the-human-flesh” communications mechanism to receive “the voice of God(s).” It’s terrifying for established religions for their followers to discover they don’t need them to directly connect with God. It’s terrifying and dangerous for the world to find out that each individual is personally responsible for finding out minute-to-minute what God wants you to do right here now.
We know you don’t have time to read every book that comes your way, but True Grail will blow your mind when you see the whole story and how we complement each other. True Grail is the non-religious common denominator of all religions. True Grail brings us back to our common roots and has the power to bring “Theological” unity to the world.
We are prepared to immediately email PDF file(s) to you for all or any part of our three book series (totaling 400 full-color pages of down-to-earth proof with photos and illustrations) upon your request.
You can visit our web site at http://www.truegrail.com for more information and you can check us out at BOOKSONBOARD.com:
We would love for you to review all or part of our TRUE GRAIL series and provide us with a brief quote.
We would also greatly appreciate a link from your website to ours, such as follows:
“For information about a radically new True Grail that proves “Christ” was not a human but an ancient technology for contacting God, please click here: http://www.truegrail.com/
We hope to hear from you very soon.
Yours truly,
Jordan Jones
Meryl Lee Miller
authors

Ingeborg

posted October 7, 2007 at 8:57 pm

Dear Jordan & Meryl,
Are you going to publish your Grail book on paper, too? I would much prefer that and buy it straightaway (after it gets into Australia). Sounds fascinating!
Regards,
Ingeborg

Jordan Jones

posted October 8, 2007 at 7:48 am

Dear Ingeborg,
Thanks for your gracious remarks. (And thanks very much to Neale for posting our letter!)
We are planning to do an all black-and-white version in print. 400 pages of full-color photos and graphics would be exorbitantly expensive. However, ebooks have allowed us to show our book(s) in all their glory.
If you email us through truegrail.com, we can notify you when the B/W version is available in print.
In the meantime, what can we do to entice you to read the eBook versions? Can we email you a gift certificate for True Grail (Book 1)? Please let us know.
Regards,
Jordan & Meryl

Zach

posted November 13, 2007 at 5:32 am

Just read the first book…
Thank you for sharing your conversations …
Its been helpful,
Some aim for life

andrew massey

posted March 5, 2008 at 11:52 am

i agree with some of what your saying. but what do you believe about Jesus?