Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

“Peace Mom” Sheehan Quits

posted by Chattering Mind

Whether they loved her or loathed her, folks listened to anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan, the mother of US Army Specialist Casey Sheehan, a 24-year-old Humvee mechanic who was killed in 2004 after being based in Iraq for five days.

On Memorial Day, Sheehan said she was quitting her tireless campaign against the war because she’d lost faith–not only in Republicans leaders–but in Democrats as well. Here’s a long excerpt from her final statement:

“The most devastating conclusion that I reached this morning, however, was that Casey did indeed die for nothing… Casey died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives. It is so painful to me to know that I bought into this system for so many years and Casey paid the price for that allegiance. I failed my boy and that hurts the most.

“I have also tried to work within a peace movement that often puts personal egos above peace and human life. This group won’t work with that group; he won’t attend an event if she is going to be there; and why does Cindy Sheehan get all the attention anyway? It is hard to work for peace when the very movement that is named after it has so many divisions.

“Our brave young men and women in Iraq have been abandoned there indefinitely by their cowardly leaders who move them around like pawns on a chessboard of destruction and the people of Iraq have been doomed to death and fates worse than death by people worried more about elections than people. However, in five, ten, or fifteen years, our troops will come limping home in another abject defeat and ten or twenty years from then, our children’s children will be seeing their loved ones die for no reason, because their grandparents also bought into this corrupt system. George Bush will never be impeached because if the Democrats dig too deeply, they may unearth a few skeletons in their own graves and the system will perpetuate itself in perpetuity.”

In families, there is often an older sibling who cries out against injustice, verbally attacks the authority figures and subsequently suffers the most and absorbs the worst hits. Do you think Sheehan was this person for the rest of us?

daylight 365

posted May 30, 2007 at 5:46 am

This is one of the freest countries in existence and that is why we can listen to Cindy S.and she keeps those checks and balances public because she sees faults in a non-perfect system and keeps it from getting too cozy with itself ( which it has already become according to Cindy and many others). What is the solution? Thanks to Cindy S. we are able to hear other sides of the story and the more facts that are gathered, the better a decision one can make. I thank Cindy S. for standing tall and proud and having the heart and courage to bring as much justice and drama to the dismal political strategy called war. Cindy must take a break and look back at the gains she has made. I lost my son tragically and I understand her loss and am also dealing with a slow, heavy justice system but will not give up hope for I am my son’s only voice and when the time comes for me to speak for him, Cindy’s unwavering courage will remind me to stand tall and let justice reign and God’s will be done. God bless Cindy S. and all the rest of us.

Cathy Buonanno

posted May 30, 2007 at 1:25 pm

I think that Cindy speaks from a place about the war that is the hardest. She discerns a whole different meaning for the war in Iraq than anyone who has never lost a son. I did think her same thought the last time I watched American Idol and the inverse relationship in voting for an idol and voting in America.

Marlene Bertheaud

posted May 30, 2007 at 2:09 pm

I think Cindy is very courages in her speaking out. She should not however, give up the idea that when the final trumpet sounds and the God of our fathers calls to quest, who so laid down his or her life for friend, foe, countryman; stand up and be counted; that God will recognize her as well! God bless you Cindy. Always remember your womb held the breath of the Lord as well as your beloved son. A mother of two sons, who weren’t in any war, save the one we fight in our daily lives to persevere in the search for truth! God loves you and so do I.

lilibon

posted May 30, 2007 at 4:44 pm

i’m so sorry to see Cindy lose faith, she is someone we need to keep reminding us – as if we can really forget when each day more and more of the country’s finest and bravest are dying and i for one am having great difficulty understanding why- that there is something wrong with this system… with this ‘war’. My applause to Cindy for taking a stand, my sympathy to her for her so painful losses – that of her son and her faith… Bless you, Cindy, may our hopes for Peace be answered soon.

Dan

posted May 30, 2007 at 4:50 pm

Although I feel for Cindy and understand her grief and anger she needs to understand the when she makes comments about her disappointment in the people of this great country. She needs to rememeber America is the people not the government. Yes they enjoy their entertainment but all in all they are proud and in love with this great country. We are all concerned about where are government, Rep or Dem, is taking us, but don’t insult us by assuming we don’t love our country. Those comments do as much harm to this country as we accuse our government of doing.

Kathy

posted May 30, 2007 at 6:18 pm

Because of cognitive disonnance, no one else who had lost a loved one in the war had the nerve to allow themselves to even consider the possibility that their loved one died in vain, let alone give voice to that sentiment. That took tremendous courage on Cindy’s part. By the way, it is not always the oldest child who is the black sheep, in my family it was the youngest.

Scheherazade

posted May 30, 2007 at 6:46 pm

I applaud Cindy and the so few voices that are out there. My family lost a young one also to the war that is here at home… In our communities… on our streets of america…We are the government and I do not understand why we are allowing a handpicked few, who were chosen mistakenly of course, to control the world that we are use to habitating. I join Cindy and any others who is ready to be where we should be as human beings, God creations! Don’t lose hope, that is why His Son died so viciously for us. It is His blood that is shedded for us to maintain hope, charity, and love…Stay strong, Cindy, and remain focus for His plan is the only one that is winning. A plan that he will unveil our eyes to behold!

Shelley Ackerman

posted May 30, 2007 at 6:51 pm

With both Cindy Sheehan and Rosie O’Donnell ‘leaving their posts’ within the same week, we’re left to contemplate the future of dissenting courageous feminine voices who dare to challenge the status quo. These voices are so needed, but because they threaten a mainstream commercial culture’s agenda to keep our population distracted (“America has become a corporate wasteland, more interested in who will be the next American Idol than in paying attention to what their government is doing”, bemoaned Sheehan) these women are ridiculed and sneered at instead of their message being heeded and applauded.

Jen

posted May 30, 2007 at 7:16 pm

Losing faith in these times makes perfect sense, and Cindy held out as a ridiculed (unfortunately, it was true, many mocked her vigil and especially in the beginning) yet courageous woman taking a stand against injustice. This country is exactly in that boat, where corporate profit and politics play more part than the interest of the common good. We are a capitalistic society, but – come on, it’s gone a little far. The mass media entertainment as well as any other number of zombie fixes that keep the average citizen stupid and quiet play a part, but: how many people have the choice and just don’t pay attention. Or worse, by the example of their leaders, have learned to step on anything and anyone they’re tall enough and strong enough to crush. Cindy stood a long time against the invisible UNdemocratic bindings on this country, but, she was only human. Frankly – until a number of informed citizens begin a cultural and political revolution like the sixties again, the invisible caste systems, political barriers, and other prejudices existing in our country will only get worse. Give someone an inch – they take a mile. Cindy as one woman, went as far as she could.

Mary

posted May 30, 2007 at 8:12 pm

I have two sons, neither of which (thankfully) went to Iraq, and thus are still alive and well. However, my dad fought in two wars, and came back from each with a chestful of medals. He never would talk about his war experiences, however. He did his best to put them behind him. In fact, I was 22 years old before I learned how my dad earned his Silver Star in WWII – and I learned it from my grandmother. There’s nothing glorious or uplifting about war. It is about murder, mayhem, destruction, and just plain evil. I remember reading somewhere that war began back in the Stone Age when old men realized that younger men were getting all the women – and so they sent them off to fight other tribes and get killed so there wouldn’t be any more competition! Do we really want to carry on such a tradition? Though I don’t have the courage or the ability to do what Cindy did, I was behind her all the way. I wrote to my senators and congressmen, and contributed to various anti-war organizations. And I applauded everything she did – her courage, her sacrifices, and, thinking of my own sons, could imagine (if not really know) her grief.And now I understand her disillusionment, not only with our government, but with some of the people who worked with her. Can’t we call put our own egos behind us and work together to create the kind of world (NOT just a country – a world) that we all want to live in? It may take several generations to set things straight. The governments of this world want to do away with all of our freedoms and return us to serfdom. They even want to control our food choices – and they know that would be to our detriment. I wish I had the talent and the strength to be something more than an armchair activist. But I am just a poor musician, who has to eke by on very little money – and thus can’t afford to join Cindy and other activists in travelling all over the world. I can only admire and support them. But I have a very strong feeling that Cindy, and other activists who are as disillusioned and exhaused as she has, will eventually get a second wind. More disillusioned people who hate what they see this world becoming will join her – and maybe by that time, I’ll be able to do it too.Hey Cindy! You still have a lot of friends who support you – even those whom you’ve never met. Stay home, relax, get some rest – then see where the winds of change take you. We love you – and wish you luck! Mary Devlin

ps

posted May 30, 2007 at 8:46 pm

My sentiments are very much in tune to her plight, but to give up hope in something, anything, regardless of the work or loss involved is not for me. Hope is all one has for the future of anything, including ones faith. Without that there’s nothing. I too fight deep emotions due to loss, not because of war, but of the heart. The hurt is just as profound. I agree that our government is lacking much and our disappointment is greater. Regardless, to live any other way would not be my cup of tea. I am free and I think loss of that, along with so many other losses, if I didn’t live in the USA would be traumatic to say the least..God bless America..the land of the free and home of the brave….

Anonymous Also

posted May 31, 2007 at 3:45 am

In my opinion, I believe that people like Cindy Sheehan are needed at times to tell our emperors they have no clothes. However, it’s also my opinion that she held a lot of people to an impossible standard, and that is what has alienated a lot of people who had earlier believed in her and her cause. There is no black and white. You are not either for peace her way or a warmonger, as she has called a lot of people. Folks want to help, but calling them warmongers and Bush sympathizers if they don’t agree with you is not the way to Win Friends And Influence People. I’d say the same thing in reverse to President Bush. To quote Wayne Dyer: What you fight weakens you. Instead of being anti – war, be for peace. (that all of us can work in our own way towards — my addition.) I believe that Cindy Sheehan needs to have the inner peace herself before she can realize the peace outside that she’s so desperately working for. Just my opinions.

Lannette Jaynes

posted June 1, 2007 at 4:27 am

I believe that I personally am glad too see Mrs. Sheehan give up as she calls it. I believe she was mislead in the way she went about what she wanted to accomplish here. However sad it is that she lost her son, I feel he was proud of the uniform he wore and the cause he was in. He was not only her son he was an American soldier and was there to do a job. Whatever the cause he was doing his country an honor just to be who he was and too use all he had learned. I am so sadden that she could only take away failure in her efforts, more importantly in her sons. No matter who you are, or what you believe we are at war none like we have fought in the past but just as real. Only they don’t fight fair. An if we do we will or our children and grandchildren will be fighting them right here in our streets. I pray she will come to some since of peace so that she may move foreward,may she know of all the one’s lost in all the wars and those who make it home safe are hero’s to all that know what freedom is and just how much the cost. I am sorry and will pray for her to find peace. My husband was in Vietnam and still has nightmare, and then the physical pain from his wounds, but I am proud of him and all others who serve. An our goverment still makes mistakes we all do but I am an American and Proud to be and know from traveling to other country’s I want to live in the U.S.

bird

posted June 2, 2007 at 5:59 am

I am deeply sorry to see Cindy Sheehan give up her vigil and tireless peace work. She spoke the truth, and she was hated and reviled for it. I couldn’t help thinking that if all the millions of people who watched and voted for ‘American Idol’ were to go to Washington to protest the war, our lawmakers would definitely figure out a way to end it. They think we don’t really care that thousands of civilians and American soldiers have been killed because of Bush’s lies and mistakes, and they’re right. I am as guilty of being inattentive and distracted as anyone else. I am busy with my own personal issues, and while I pray for peace annd contribute to causes, I don’t do much else. I will have to stop this inertia.