Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

Has Al Called Jenny Yet?

posted by Chattering Mind

It bothers me that Al Gore is holding onto the weight he’s gained.

Not because I’m anti-fat. Not because I want him to run again.

But because I’ve always believed that his weight gain was due to the personal trauma of winning the popular vote and losing the election, and that in the early years of the Bush administration, I imagine Gore must have been eating, grieving, and beating himself up over not having been a more perfect candidate.

With the weight, he holds the whole country’s grief (well, he at least holds the sadness felt by the chunk of the country that voted for him). If he lets the grief go, we can all breathe easier. We’d think: Well, we’ve all taken a hit, but we still have our health.

Since Gore knows what fitness is and has enjoyed being lean in the past, and since, for God’s sake, he has won an Oscar, come into the limelight again in a big way, he can now lose the weight and feel victorious.

Al’s flab seems attached to our sad, communal casting back, our head-shaking, grief-stricken imaginings over what might have been. None of us want to live that way any longer. We need to get back into fighting shape, so we can build something new. So Al, hop on that exercise bike (you can watch CNN as you pump). Not since Kirstie Alley has a nation been so fixated upon a public figure’s girth. Letterman even did a Top 10 on it in early 2001. So let’s get it, as a topic, off the tables. What do you say, Al? Please!

KT

posted March 23, 2007 at 4:06 am

Shame on you for focusing on something so superficial and for giving that mean spirited top 10 list any kind of attention.If you’re holding on to any grief or bad feelings own up to it as yours and leave Mr. Gore and his waist size out of it. Why are you attaching your hangups to anyone else at all? Try looking at yourself instead and dealing with your belief’s about what is or isn’t without casting aspersions at others.Now and in the future I will stay focused more on what comes out of Mr. Gore’s mouth instead of what is going in to it.

yankeegirl

posted March 23, 2007 at 7:04 am

You are distracted by the wrong things! Do you doubt the sincerity of the message because the messenger is imperfect? Did you ever think that issues that you find so important might also be overwhelming? Be brave enough to look much, much harder at how much courage it takes ( and how much energy it takes!) to keep the hard issues in front of an indifferent population. Maybe the extra weight you disapprove of is really stored energy!

Sierra

posted March 23, 2007 at 1:51 pm

I, too, think you missed the boat on this one.

Laurie Sue

posted March 23, 2007 at 2:15 pm

Amy is correct. He became a stress eater. Can you blame him? And now, he has a new chance, to do VERY IMPORTANT work, and we want him around to do it! Let’s face it folks … it is simply better for his health to get rid of some extra pounds. On a deeper metaphysical level, weight gained via trauma-based consumption holds the trauma in place. And he, as a public figure who was beloved and selected by over half our country, is an icon to us. Recognizing that he is still holding the pain, keeps that pain, or at least painful reminder, in place for us as well. That said, I have also gained weight since that fateful election and I am going to use this as inspiration to take charge. So join me Al– or anyone — to focus on optimum health. Blessings!

Julie

posted March 23, 2007 at 3:58 pm

Research has clearly shown people that are 25 pounds overweight live longer than the ultra thin and have stronger immune systems and are able to withstand a longer battle against disease then the thin or obese.It is our culture that dictates that we all must maintain our High School weight.People naturally gain a few pounds with age, it is normal. Most of my friends are getting close to 50 and have to absolutly starve and exercise to maintain their weight.I wear a size 10 and I’m sure alot of people would think I’m over weight but I exercise and eat healthy and I’m not going to obsess over impossible standards set by the fashion police.

Sarah

posted March 23, 2007 at 4:23 pm

stress can also cause people to stop eating or not eat enough. why do we always assume that when someone puts on a few pounds, that they are eating only comfort foods and are really hidden inside some tragic scenario? perhaps THIS is the real Gore, and the lean campaigning man was what he thought we’d all want to see – the result of not eating due to the stress of campaigning. perhaps he is happier now. sheesh this is the LAST place i thought id see such judgmental focus!

Carol Majewski

posted March 23, 2007 at 5:26 pm

Leave Al alone !!! I think he still looks good !!!!

Barb

posted March 23, 2007 at 5:37 pm

I, too, agree that we should not stand in judgement of anyone who is large. We can’t assume that his extra weight that’s he carrying is because of some deep-seeded issue inside of himself. Maybe he’s let things go- live and let live- and is enjoying his life now. Only Mr. Gore can make the decision to either embrace himself as he is now or lose some weight that’s he gained. Has anyone asked him?

Lisa

posted March 23, 2007 at 6:28 pm

While I appreciated Amy’s comments about excess weight often being the result of holding onto something that would better be let go of (where might this be at play in my own life?), I was really disappointed at the inclusion of the mean-spirited Letterman “Top 10.” As someone who struggles with an extra 20 pounds from time to time, I constantly have to remind myself that I am more than my weight — in spite of all the media messages that a woman’s weight/attractiveness is pretty much the most important thing about her. I was disappointed that this column, which I look to for spiritual uplifting and re-connection to my authentic self, would add to the pervasive societal judgments of people based on their weight.

nancy

posted March 24, 2007 at 12:17 am

Perhaps I’m just unfamiliar with this particular blogger, but I read this entire article as tongue-in-cheek…In other words, instead of paying attention to the size of the man’s waist, we should be paying closer attention to what he’s saying about WASTE.

Myrna

posted March 24, 2007 at 4:00 am

Hmmm, didn’t notice Al’s weight gain as much as his rosy cheeks. Anyway, its the waist size that is more relevant concerning health problems. Go check out Mehmet Oz and Michael Roizen, both MDs. They set the record straight. You know that visceral fat around the tummy isn’t too healthy and maybe Amy was just concerned in a good way. Maybe its a projection.(we see in others what we see in ourselves) That said, I am way more concerned about Elizabeth Edward’s latest news than Al Gore’s tummy although I’m usually concerned about both in myself. As Elizabeth Edwards said, once a woman has had breast cancer, any re-occurrence in another triggers fear.

Jan

posted March 25, 2007 at 12:23 am

Leave the man alone for God’s sake. I am so sick of seeing garbage like this passing for journalism. Al Gore is a fine man who looks fine and who is now a private citizen who shouldn’t have to be under a damn microscope concerning everything about him. What we should be writing about is the way we are contributing to the ill health of our planet, but I suppose in this American Idol watching country that is simply just too much to ask for.

jsipe

posted March 25, 2007 at 3:52 am

The man is making a living telling everyone not to do like himself. God and the planet are in control of the planet, not us. All his silly global warming rectoric is simply an agenda to raise taxes and float his ego. As for his weight, he should spend less time setting in jets, burning carbon fuels and warming the planet, and more time running.

Kate

posted March 29, 2007 at 10:52 pm

I am always amazed to see people like this still exist in 2007. Both Amy for thinking only of something as superficial as Gore’s waistline and jsipe for thinking God is going to take care of the damage WE are doing to the earth. Wake up and smell the roses before the air is so bad that none grow! And rhetoric? Have you seen the ice shelves dropping off at record rates? That can’t be made up. I dare you to watch the video An inconvient truth. It’s good. We need the people like jsipe to wake up and take notice of the things each of us can do to leave this world in better shape than what is currently being done. Small things matter, recycle, bus, bike, walk, donate used and old furniture, clothes,etc to charities or swaps instead of filling the dumps with perfectly usable things. And I think Gore still looks pretty darn good!

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »