Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

The Energy Left After a Mother’s Death

posted by Chattering Mind

I don’t mean to sound gloomy, but these days after Christmas often make me think of death. They always have.

But I’ve been more aware of life’s fleeting, poignant character in recent years. My mother died four years ago on January 3rd, and she labored under hospice care during this normally festive week.

So now, for me, the twelve days of Christmas have an exquisitely melancholy luster. Initially, this was upsetting, but now I see the silver lining. In the sadness, there is something shining.

My mother had experienced a really bad stroke. She was 77. There was no coming back. And she’d already almost died once in the hosptial. I am grateful that, thanks to hospice care, Mom got to die quietly in her own bed.

But here’s what was wonderful about the night of her passing: When the hospice people dressed her body for the funeral home, they placed an afghan blanket on her. It was just an old throw Mom kept around, but woven into this blanket were the words of the 23rd Psalm.

When the funeral director came in at around eight that evening, he took Mom’s body and left the blanket folded at the bottom of the bed. Four hours later, I went to sleep in a twin bed in the same room where my mother had died. I lay down and had a good cry.

But when I casually placed that 23rd Psalm blanket over me, to my surprise the blanket began to pop and radiate a very specific, active energy. Since I had not been looking for a “big experience,” I actually pulled the blanket down from my chest, then up again to feel where the sparkling, popping energy was. It was definitely IN the blanket–and it seemed to snap in little sparkles when it came into contact with the surface of my skin.

I have some training in Reiki–a method of divine healing through the hands. And since that training, I have been more aware of the existence of this sort of energy. But this popping sensation, I think, would have been noticed by anyone. It was very obvious. What was it? Pure life force, I guess. I don’t think it was motherly love. It didn’t seem like something being given specifically to me. It had an odd neutrality to it. It wasn’t sentimental. But it was real. That’s what I’m telling you.

The Reverend Laurie Sue Brockway says that “when the doors of heaven open and your loved one passes through, the energies of heaven come and kiss those left behind when they are quiet enough to be open to that kind of experience.”

Have you ever had a similar experience? I’d love to hear back from you on this.

THE BEST OF CHATTERING MIND.

Nancy

posted January 1, 2007 at 4:33 pm

The night that my beloved grandmother died in 1993, I left the hospital and went to my mother’s house to comfort her. As I approached my mother’s house, I felt a strong and unmistakable warmth, starting in the middle of my back and spreading throughout my abdomen. It was like an injection. I knew instantly that it was my grandmother’s energy, touching me from the gates of the Other Side, comforting me, telling me that everything was going to be all right.

Elizabeth

posted January 1, 2007 at 6:32 pm

My mom passed away suddenly, out of the blue, on Sept 21, 2005. She was 55. Her heart just stopped, so there was no pain and no struggle what-so-ever. It was just like she went to sleep. I spoke to her the night before and we laughed and chatted, just like we always did. We said our goodbyes and our I love you’s, just assuming we’d talk tomorrow, as we talked daily. I got a call from my aunt (her sister) the next morning at 5:30 a.m. Saying she’d passed last night. About 20 minutes after getting the news I was laying down, in the fetal position, sobbing and in such pain. Out of nowhere I sat up and had the most peaceful feeling. I said to my boyfriend, “my mom is okay?” I can’t describe it to anyone, but that feeling was like nothing I have ever felt before. It helped me through (and still does) the most painful time of my life. Now, I don’t know if it was my mom or God or what, but something was there, present, in me or touching me, making me feel safe. I still cry and am extremely sad that my mom is not here, but moments after I start to well up, I think of that feeling. It reminds me there is something bigger than me, that it doesn’t just stop here. I don’t have much of a background in religion but I am very spiritual. I have always felt like this universe is just to big and to perfect for our lives to just end. I have a feeling of her being in a really great place and that there is a chance I might see her again. And this feeling isn’t because of what I have learned or read, it’s because of that experience I had. That helps me through those tough days.

MRS.SONJA M. MOORE-LEWIS

posted January 1, 2007 at 10:37 pm

MY MOTHER NOT TO LONG DIED TO JUNE 14,2006.

Devar

posted January 2, 2007 at 5:09 pm

I was only 12 when my Dad died. I was the “apple of his eye” and I felt similarity about him. The night he died, I was at summer camp. We were in the midst of the initiation ceremony for the new girls. It was a lovely ceremony with candles and everyone dressed in white. I was a new girl myself, so my candle had JUST been lit by one of the returning campers. I was standing holding my candle when suddenly I felt very alone. I was surrounded by all the other girls and counsellors, but it was suddenly like they were all in a dream and I was in my own clear reality by myself. I looked down at my candle and saw it flicker, as if in a gust of wind…. but it kept burning. Not only did it keep burning, but it seemed actually to burn brighter. I felt amazed and frightened by it. Later that night, my mother arrived to take me home, and told me that my Dad had dropped dead at the age of 52 on the tennis court when I had seen my candle flicker. I believe it was my Dad’s spirit whoosing by me on his way to The Light, that caused my candle to flicker. I believe it was the perfect way for him to express his parting message to me: “Although my death causes your Inner Light to flicker, it WILL keep burning, and mine with you. Let your Little Light shine in the world!”

Stacey

posted January 2, 2007 at 6:24 pm

My dad died February 3rd, 2005 – so close to two years ago. I am still bereft, but I don’t live in grief. I remember the euphoric feeling – for days – of the love coming from all the people that came to his viewing and funeral. Not only was their love palpable, but so was my dad’s love. To this day I speak to him as if he were right near me, because I feel as though he hears and guides me. And I no longer fear death, because I believe I will be reunited with him in Heaven. I no longer fear death because he showed me that it is not to fear. I no longer fear death.

Cheryl Elizabeth

posted January 2, 2007 at 9:35 pm

I was always a Daddy’s girl. I thought my Dad was EVERYTHING! Handsome, smart & funny. My Dad died unexpectly from a house fire D/T smoke inhalation in May 2005. I was in shock that I would never speak to him or hear his laugh again. One night the week of his death I was sitting alone in my bedroom talking to him in my head. I said Dad if you’re okay please give me a sign. Suddenly the room got a bright blue. My computer came on & the blue of the microsoft windows illuminated my room more brightly than I’ve ever seen. I couldn’t believe it. It lasted about 2 minutes & just as suddenly turned itself off. I felt wonderful & have not worried about him since. I can’t wait to see him again because I know now he is around. I don’t fear death, I just fear the circumstances leading up to it.

jolinda

posted January 3, 2007 at 12:42 am

wow- what a surprise to happen upon this today – just this morning as I have beggun my meditation practice just recently ( after a hiatus since 9-11-2001) and after losing my precious grandmother, on my birthday, 1 year ago (1/6) I was in meditation this morning, thanking her for her guidance, and felt her stroking my hair, as she did ( the only person ever to do so- as she did) while I would be falling asleep as a child. At 36 years old, this feelinfg is unmistakable, and from whom the same. Love & Light to you all – Keep the faith – It is real!

daria

posted January 3, 2007 at 4:07 am

Last week I had a dream with the message “It’s about the code.” It was repeated over and over, like a slogan, but in an insightful and loving way by everyone who said it. In the morning I awoke feeling rested and happy; I ran downstairs to share my dream with my family. It was then I learned that my best friend, Kate, had died during the night. I knew in that moment it was Kate speaking to me in my dreams. My first thought was, You’ll always be able to find me, and I you. Then I cried because I knew her pain was over.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »