Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

Craving Straight Talk on Gays and Spirituality?

posted by Chattering Mind

Here’s one of my favorite gay spirituality and culture blogs. In one post, writer Greg DiStefano quotes this passage from the “Gospel According to Thomas”:

“If you bring forth what is within you,
what you bring forth will save you.
If you don’t bring forth what is within you,
what you do not bring forth will destroy you.”

Garnet David

posted November 7, 2006 at 4:20 am

I need to get a copy of the Thomas gospel, and not because it’s my last name. Have you heard of Jefferson’s “version” of the Bible? He cut out all the miracles.

Dirk_Star

posted November 7, 2006 at 5:53 am

Sorry, I don’t take Ghandi from strangers…

Lynn Caverly

posted November 7, 2006 at 6:05 pm

That quote from the Gospel of Thomas is one of the most famous Gnostic teachings. For more information, check out http://www.laconneau.com

A. J. Will

posted November 8, 2006 at 2:05 am

We are ONE ! We are ALL GAY ! We are ALL Black We are All 3rd world! We are All hated We are All LOVE !

elmo

posted November 8, 2006 at 4:12 am

Just so you know, the Gospel of Thomas is not part of the Bible canon and actually that verse makes no sense within a Christian context, and is not thought to be authentic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Thomas

Paul Kelly

posted November 8, 2006 at 12:20 pm

It is not authentic. Dont get us going on the Davinci Code thing again. The gnostic gospels have no place in the true believers faith. (period)

Stacey-Robin H. Johnson

posted November 8, 2006 at 4:16 pm

“True Believers”??? The contents of the bible, as we know it, was ultimately decided at the Council of Nicea–by human beings, with very human motivations and agendas–not divine. “True Believers” would not shun the Gnostic gospels. We should already know that nothing man does, says, or writes can ever diminish the God we know and serve. The Holy Spirit of God speaks to the Heart AND Mind of the True Believer. “True Believers” need not worry themselves with the authentication of scripture. We should worry ourselves greatly over the authenticity of individual faith and relationship with the divine. In the end, nothing else will matter. (period)

daria

posted November 8, 2006 at 6:26 pm

The Gospel of Thomas (GOT) is featured in a balanced way in the PBS series, From Jesus to Christ. Here you’ll find their translation of the GOT along with links to some interesting articles. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/maps/primary/gthomas.html As I read the selection you posted: “If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you don t bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.” I was struck by another writer’s words mining the same gold:“Anything you do not give freely and abundantly becomes lost to you. You open your safe and find ashes. (Annie Dillard, The Writing Life)For me, theological certitude is unnecessary to appreciate the meaning and love-li-ness of both Thomas and Dillard.

Daijinryuu

posted November 8, 2006 at 9:31 pm

After years of regret of not following my heart, I now follow it and am proud to be what I am today. That which is within me is an atman filled with ancient truth and knowledge, and individual sense of doing things, and a rebel against antiquated norms and traditions that holds us back. And now I do as I want and not what others think is best for me.

elmo

posted November 11, 2006 at 3:16 am

Stephanie Robins-Johnson: Actually, it matters a great deal whether the saying is authentic. To say that this is from the apostle Thomas’ gospel is to imbue this banal expression with all of the weight of one who preached, saw, and touched the risen Christ. This is a weight not deserved by the sayings of the so-called Gospel of Thomas. And yes, the canon was finalized — although not at the Niceaen Council, but at the Council of Trent. The Gospel of Thomas was rejected because it is fiction not to mention heretical (denying Christ’s humanity and divinity). It really is a good thing to try and educate yourself about Christianity before writing about it.

daria

posted November 13, 2006 at 11:39 pm

elmo – To whom are you referring when you say, “…with all of the weight of one who preached, saw, and touched the risen Christ?

elmo

posted November 14, 2006 at 2:58 am

daria: I am referring to the author of the text posted by Chattering Mind, “if you bring forth … ” When you say this comes from the Gospel of Thomas you are attributing this text to the apostle Thomas, who is one of those who saw, touched, and spoke with the Risen Christ. However, this phrase is part of a text that was deemed, over long periods of time, to be fake and heretical.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »