Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

Rachel Ray: Relaxed and Wonderful

posted by Chattering Mind

I tuned into Rachel Ray’s TV show for about twenty minutes yesterday as I was doing the dishes. I’d never watched it before. She was giving cooking instructions to three sporty guys in the habit of gathering weekly to watch televised football games, usually eating only chips, dip, and carry-out pizza. Ray made them her version of a Philadelphia Cheesesteak sandwich (something I’d be too prim to prepare despite the fact it’s a meal Mr. Chattering would love). Then she prepared a large antipasto salad, tossing grocery store coldcuts, cheeses, pickled peppers, and vegetables into a large wooden bowl without any mention of nasty nitrates, insecticides, carcinogens, or wax coatings. Nah, food is fun to Rachel Ray. Nothing’s scary! Better to eat this, at any rate, than carry-out pizza (which she went out of her way not to criticize either).

Ray threw it all together with love, and that voluptuous, generous style of hers. As a result, at the Food Coop this morning I bought a heap of artichoke hearts, organic red peppers, cheeses, and AppleGate Farm cold cuts (they even have a Pepperoni now). Sure, it’s basically my own nitrate-free, organic version, but I never would have ventured in this direction had I not acquainted myself yesterday with Ray’s relaxed manner, and the notion hidden within the program–that every meal needn’t be backed by a research study. Since becoming a whole foods devotee, I admit to having cultivated a tendency to think more about health and food safety than how fun food can be to chop, taste, smell, and feel. Food should not be wrapped in worry!

Anyone else out there have this proclivity? Anybody else liberated by Rachel Ray? Let me know what food gurus inspire you most! Vegetarians, chime in. (Sorry about the cold cuts. They’re just an every-now-and-then thing.)

googooma

posted October 29, 2006 at 10:35 am

I have found the same proclivity ! ( hand waving! ) Rachael Ray has inspired me in that way as well. I tend toward whole, healthy foods. My husband is a vert meat and potatoes type of guy. I have found that if I use some of Rachael Rays recipes- but use the whole, non additive foods in the recipes my husband/ children are happy and so am I.

jodecilyn

posted November 2, 2006 at 12:51 pm

I too am a big fan of rachel ray ,, she is so uplifting and fun,. My biggest beef with her is the lack of handwashing/sanitation. I am certified in food saftey and sanitation and it just turns me to watch her go from chopping meat to cutting veggies with no hand washing in between.. I sent a email regarding this to her site but have had no response,, am i the only one noticing this? jodecilyn

Ursula

posted November 2, 2006 at 5:27 pm

I have a TV in my kitchen and watch quite a few of the foodnetwork shows, Rachel Rae’s being one of my favorites. My problem with her is how she piles cans and jars into the dishes she’s going to serve food out of. Although she doesn’t wash the veggies and herbs before she uses them, she does advocate prepping the veggies when coming home from the market. Yeah RIGHT! Most of all, I love her refreshing attitude; she never claims to be a “chef”, she merely cooks, with joy. The one I can’t stand is the one (Semi homemade) who matches her appliances and outfits with the food, who prepares “tablescapes”; and then there’s Paula, lots of fun and calories…..

Joyce

posted November 3, 2006 at 1:21 am

Sorry, I’m not a fan. She is just too bubbly and silly. I get tired of her calling sandwiches “sammies” and her overuse of “yummo” to describe how something tastes. Then, I read her interview in “Ladies’ Home Journal” in which she said that she fired people who didn’t have a sense of humor. To me, that doesn’t sound like a very nice person.

HASH(0xe6c225c)

posted November 3, 2006 at 6:15 am

Jodecilyn, you’re not the only one that’s noticed the lack of handwashing on Rachael Ray’s show. Yuck!

Julia

posted November 5, 2006 at 2:57 pm

I have to agree with most all said here…I love Rachel and her way of making everything a party! My adult son even took up cooking because of her! Her whole gig is so entertaining…except…ta ta…you all said it…the lack of sanitation procedures. I have been in the restaurant business all my life and this is a no-no! And she does use prewashed but I have never trusted it…it gets washed(as do my hands) continually, in both my home kitchen and my professional kitchen! But then, I am not on a 30 minute time limit and most likely this is why Ms Ray doesn’t do these little time consuming extras. (no excuse to not at least talk about it).

jude crox

posted November 6, 2006 at 9:36 am

I like Rachel, she makes me laugh. She’s very family oriented/friendly. In this lack of the fear of God’s wrath,corrupt,media brain washed world we live in, she’s refreshing. She has a great sence of humor, and a all American girl way about her. I do agree on the hand washing thing. The food network people should advise her on this issue. Proper handwashing, is the single most effective way to prevent the spreading and contrating of disease! She show’s us that anyone can put together a decent, semi nutritious meal. Obviously by her weight, she understands the concept of moderation. In case you didn’t notice, there’s an obesity epidemic in the USA.

reet

posted November 6, 2006 at 10:05 am

Besides the handwashing thing . . . or lack of . . . did you ever notice that she is touching her hair one too many times as well in the kitchen!!! A big NO NO!!! As far as nutritonal value of the recipes, with the obestity situation in our country, her ratings would probably be half of what they are now. Perhaps she should designate maybe one day a week to fixing and showing the nutritional value of a healthy meal. I only wish I had half her engery. she is very upbeat and can see why she is on the screen . . . with all the bubbliness.

Lupita

posted November 6, 2006 at 3:28 pm

Rachel Ray has not only entertain me but has given me something very precious. My daughter and I loved to sit together and watch her programs. We laughed and commented about food and had a great time. My daughter recently got married and has her own home. Now when I watch Rachel I smile and remember the special times.

Wendy

posted November 6, 2006 at 4:59 pm

I love Rachel. I have an infant, a toddler, and four teenagers living at home (all boys) as well as a husband. I am constantly on the go. Rachel has been a life asver to me. I bought her 366 meals cookbook and love it. I don’t always follow the recipies, but they give me great idea for different and quick meals. Her hands are probably cleaner that the ones eating the food at my house.

Elizabeth Doran

posted November 6, 2006 at 5:33 pm

I really like Rachel Ray. I don’t watch T.V. so I have not seen her show but I tried some of her recipes that I have seen in magazines and they were quick easy and elegant… I also like her upbeat manner! She is very down to earth. Her recipes also seem easy to adapt.

SHARON

posted November 7, 2006 at 12:38 am

I MYSELF HAVE NOTICED RACHAEL RAY NOT WASHING HER HANDS AND HANDS AT HER HAIR ALOT WHICH SHE SHOULD RELIZE THAT PEOPLE ON HER SHOW EATS THE FOOD SHE MAKES WHEN SHE GIVES THEM SOME AND SHOULD REMEMBER TO WASH HER HANDS.I WATCH HER SHOW EVERYDAY PLUS SHOW’S THAT ARE ON EVERY EVENING AND I ALSO LOVE WATCHING PAULA DEEN SHOW AND HER 2 SON’S SHOW.I GET BOTH OF THEIR MAGAZINES IN THE MAIL AND I LOVE THEM.THEY BOTH HAVE GREAT RECIPES.

Stephanie

posted November 7, 2006 at 1:15 am

I love to watch Rachel Ray! Cooking shows are fun and relaxing to watch, and she’s my favorite. She treats her television audience like her best buddies when she teaches us how to make these meals. She’s inspired me on many things she’s made, like, for instance, stewps, (combo soup and stew). She is positively great!!

jude crox

posted November 7, 2006 at 11:00 am

After reading these comments, I feel the need to defend Rachel. I’ve been watching her for a few years now. Upon reflecting, she does wash her hands. Maybe not as frequently as some would like, on air time, which is very expensive! I’ve never seen her touch her hair. She is health conscience, and many times uses turkey or chicken inplace of beef. She rarely fry’s anything, and uses fresh veggies alot. Once again, with the obesity crisis in America, portion control is key! I eat anything I want in small portion’s, I’m 5ft4in tall and weigh 130lbs. There was a time fairly recently, when the low carb crase was being pushed on us. Rachel did many low carb shows. Peace, Jude

Donna J. Dueling

posted November 7, 2006 at 2:30 pm

Hi.. I would just like to say that I have watched Rachel Ray for a few years and found her to be charming . When I was told Rachel Ray was coming to my home town. I became so excited .. I raced home and began planning my most beautiful RED HAT attire to attend with the rest of my RED HATTERS …………only to find out she was comming to my home town on her new tv show .. WAa what a dissapointment !!! but the good news is I can see her 5 days aweek and I so enjoy that .. keep up the good work .. Deege from Oklahoma

Zelda

posted November 7, 2006 at 5:30 pm

Rachel Ray is one of my favorite cooks. My granddaughter lived with me for a while and we watched Rachel together as she prepared her 30 minute meals and we marveled at how she was “blowing up” as the young people say. I really like her personality. Another of my favorites is Paula Dean who makes you feel you are part of her family and Emril Lagassi who is very special in his love for food and people. All of them are people friendly and love what they do.

Dave

posted November 8, 2006 at 7:16 pm

I’ve been reading the comments on Rachel Ray and her lack of hand washing….please….dont’ tell me thoes people really wash their hands as much as they say they do…as for the resturant people…give me a break…I’ve seen them not only touching their hair but picking stuff off their clothes and their faces, etc…..people in glass houses..do as I say not what I do…why should we be told that we have to wash our hands…take some responsiblity please…..

jude crox

posted November 8, 2006 at 8:18 pm

I’m with Dave. Give us a break! I see resturant people go from clearing a table full of dirty dishes, covered with germs, not washing there hands, grab the next order up, and serve all those germs to the next unsupecting table, with a smile. Back to Rachel, she’ great!!! Peace, Jude

Nan

posted July 30, 2007 at 10:41 am

Was disappointed with Rachael’s program today (July 29, 2007). Food ideas great but Rachael would not stop talking when her guest who was demonstrating exercises was on. She did not even introduce him by name: he did that himself. Would have liked to hear the comments from her guest as well as see the demo. Feel a great opportunity between food intake and exercise was lost.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »