Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

What’s Your Favorite Natural Deodorant?

posted by chattering mind

“Oh by the way,” I said to Mr. Chattering this morning as he was putting on his socks, “When the time comes, don’t take Chattering Son Number One off to the drugstore to buy him a commercial deodorant.”

“What, my Brut can’t be his Brut?” said Mr. Chattering, looking shocked. I think Mr. Chattering’s father uses Brut too.

“Your Brut no doubt has chemicals in it that I’d rather not expose our son to,” I said. “Why get him started?”

Actually, upon researching Brut Cologne deodorant online, I see that I owe Mr. C. and the whole Faberge company an apology. Brut lacks the controversial ingredient aluminum linked by some natural health folks to everything from breast cancer to Alzheimer’s. Brut merely contains denatured alcohol, water, propylene glycol, sodium stearate, fragrance, green 5, and yellow coloring.

Even so, wouldn’t you rather rub something else in your delicate underarm for the next fifty years?

I’m using Orjene’s Garden Fresh Herbal Deodorant Stick now, but have also used Nature’s Gate Deodorant Stick to good effect (at least I have received no complaints). The Thai salt crystal stuff is generally great, but an old one can crack and feel too scratchy after a year or so (which may just tell you that I let my deodorant crystals sit around too long).

Hey, you sporty, glowing summer CM readers! What’s your favorite chem-free deodorant? Does it work? Do you care?

Lindsey

posted July 6, 2006 at 10:34 pm

Naturally Fresh. It’s a mineral salts cylinder. Works great, doesn’t feel waxy, & has no aluminum in it.>

Honora

posted July 7, 2006 at 1:38 am

Tom’s of Maine Unscented Solid Stick. Actually has a great fresh coriander-based scent. All natural. Everything makes me itch but this. It works GREAT – the way I sweat, I really put it to the test. The roll-on doesn’t work as well.>

Mr. Chattering

posted July 7, 2006 at 2:29 am

For the record, my dad was an Old Spice man, so it’s not that I wanted to preserve a cross-generational tradition….>

Kathy

posted July 7, 2006 at 4:56 am

Is there a natural deodorant that is also an anti-perspirant?>

Shelley Ackerman

posted July 7, 2006 at 7:23 am

Hi Amy: Though I sang TV commercials for Faberge (as a teen in the 1970′s) I’m now a devoted fan (and user) of BURT’s BEES herbal deodorant a/k/a ‘The Defender’- definitely worth a sniff when next you visit the health food store.>

Mary

posted July 7, 2006 at 1:52 pm

I bought a Thai salt crystal and dropped it on the tile floor the first week. Oops! Now ALL its edges are scratchy! I have been using Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal (R) spray mist, which contains purified water and natural mineral salts. Period. It works pretty well, but being water, it is very wet and runny. I am looking for something better, so thanks for the recommendations, y’all.>

Elizabeth

posted July 7, 2006 at 3:50 pm

Lush solid deodorants, in Lush stores, or online at lush.com (no, I don’t work for them). Natural ingredients and essential oils make for scents ranging from completely neutral to subtly masculine or feminine. My husband’s a firefighter and I work out in the sun. We’ve both been amazed at our non-stinkiness. Oh, yeah, and he has sensitive skin that *everything* bothers…except these.>

Deb Ramage

posted July 7, 2006 at 3:51 pm

I LOVE my Kiss my Face Liquid rock roll-on deodorant. It lasts forever too. I buy it at my favorite health food store & have been “anti-aluminum” for at least 20 yrs. Deb Ramage>

caren

posted July 7, 2006 at 3:57 pm

Milk of Magnesia works the best. Even the inexpensive brand from the dollar store works great. A couple of suggestions…wash underarms with antibacterial soap…pat dry…apply milk of magnesia with tissue…milk of magnesia works best if it is thicker…allow to thicken by shaking bottle night before and leave open…close and shake in morning…this makes milk of magnesia like a paste…in the cap and the inside of the bottle.>

Holly

posted July 7, 2006 at 6:30 pm

We use Naturals Deoderant made with Tea Tree Oil and it works great. My husband is a farmer and does not smell like the barn after a long days work. Email me and I can tell you how to get some. My daughter even uses it on her sensitive arms. :)>

Kathy

posted July 7, 2006 at 7:57 pm

Seriously, do these natural products also work on wetness?>

Sarah

posted July 7, 2006 at 7:58 pm

The only natural deoderant I’ve used is Tom’s of Maine and I think it’s pretty nifty. I must admit, however, that I invested in a lot of Aluminum Free Adidas sticks for women, and that they do an awesome job. (Though it does have a lot of chemical ingredients that I can’t pronounce. *frown*)>

elmo

posted July 7, 2006 at 8:33 pm

Kiss My Face — lavender or patchouli, doesn’t matter. As far as wetness, I think most of the natural deodorants are not anti-perspirants. Probably because sweating is actually good for us — we release toxins this way.>

lovefrombrooklyn

posted July 7, 2006 at 10:41 pm

I wonder if some people just have body chemistries that these natural deodorants can handle — and some don’t. What do you think? I tried a Kiss My Face stick and it absolutely did NOT work in any way! It was like I’d put nothing at all on. Alas.>

bird

posted July 8, 2006 at 11:33 pm

I use Jason’s natural deoderant with Tea Tree Oil–it works OK, not great. I also follow Dr. Weil’s advice to rub underarms first with a little alcohol (anti-bacterial). Jason’s is not an anti-perspirant (it allows wetness), but I suppose it’s healthier that way. Traditional deoderants give me a rash!>

Lori Ingram

posted July 11, 2006 at 12:53 am

I like Kiss My Face stick. Patchouli is my favorite. I’ve tried many of them and this seems to work the best for me but experimentation is the key.>

Caffe

posted July 11, 2006 at 1:20 am

Good old-fashioned Old Spice and Axe.>

Cindyin theDesert

posted July 11, 2006 at 4:42 pm

Does anyone have suggestions on how to protect your clothes from perspiration stains? I like to wear a lot of white cotton, but every single one of my lovely shirts is now stained under the arms!!!>

roaming2736

posted July 13, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Cindyin theDesert, have you tried garment shields? If you’re not sure what they are, just do an internet search. To get rid of the stains try this site: “>http://www.mrscleannw.com/tips/perspiration-stain.html>

Sandra Snyder

posted July 13, 2006 at 5:29 pm

My husband is looking for a natural underarm anti-perspirant and deodorant. Can anyone help? We live in Canada so a product that is available in the U.S. may not be available here. Your help would be appreciated.>

Chris

posted September 15, 2006 at 12:22 am

I get one from http://www.bionutz.com and it is awesome! Ingredients: Purified water, organic Virgin Coconut Oil, organic jojoba, emulsifying wax (plant based – non-soy), grapefruit seed extract, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), organic essential oils of rosewood, geranium, cedarwood, and patchouly. They also have lavender for women and Frankincense for men. I am also not a sales woman,lol.>

Chris

posted September 15, 2006 at 7:18 am

There are still too many chemicals in even the supposed natural deodorants out there. I found the most true natural one out there at http://www.bionutz.com No aluminum but also none of the other chemicals that we can not even pronounce, check it out:Ingredients: Purified water, organic Virgin Coconut Oil, organic jojoba, emulsifying wax (plant based non-soy), grapefruit seed extract, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), organic essential oils of rosewood, geranium, cedarwood, and patchouly.>

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »