Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

Are You Into ‘Early Music?’

posted by chattering mind

If you love the religious passion of Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque periods of Western music as much as I do, you are a lover of what’s called “Early Music.” And depending upon whom you talk to, the music of George Frideric Handel (1685-1759) is considered to fall at the tail end of the Early Music period. One of my favorite ballets, “L’Allegro, il Penseroso, ed il Moderato,” a creation of the modern choreographer Mark Morris, was set to Handel’s music. The juxtaposition of the oratorio sound with bright color and contemporary movement is astonishing. The old becomes new.

I’ve recently found two great resources that can educate you as an Early Music consumer, and assist you in deciding what to buy. Lord knows, there’s lots to study; it’s really a full-time job! Here’s an Early Music radio station that features all manner of lovely selections, and here’s a site I spied advertised in the book review of the New York Times last week. It has some free downloads, though you have to pay for others.

Kathy

posted June 24, 2006 at 4:20 am

I like the group Anonymous 4 for my early music. The four women sing 13th century medieval music and the like. It’s great for relaxing or if you need a shift in consciousness.>

daria

posted June 24, 2006 at 8:59 pm

I’m so happy to hear that someone else (Kathy) also appreciates Anonymous 4; 1000: A Mass for the End of Time is my player right now. I also enjoy Beneventan Chants from the 11th century and the Monastic Choir of St. Peter’s Abbey, Solesmes, particularly Christ in Gethsemane. Both put me in a place I can best describe as transcendent. Since I usually feel overwhelmed by all the choices in classical music, I often rely on library specialists to guide me. I’m blessed to live in a city with multiple university libraries and a strong Public Library system, so there’s plenty from which to choose. The Early Music Studio is a nice complement to this listening and learning.>

Kathy

posted June 24, 2006 at 11:54 pm

I have the above mentioned Mass and also The Origin of Fire: Music & Visions of Hildegard von Bingen and also American Angels, which is traditional hymns. One day while my beagle and I were relaxing/meditating to Anonymous 4, I heard a big thud. When I opened my eyes I just say two sleepy, befuddled beagle eyes peering over the top of the bed. He had gotten so relaxed, he rolled right off the bed!>

Erik

posted June 25, 2006 at 3:31 pm

NPR carries a wonderful early-music radio program from the University of Indiana, called “Harmonia”; it has been running for several years, and the archived shows can be heard online here: “>http://www.indiana.edu/~harmonia/>

daria

posted June 25, 2006 at 7:19 pm

Erik, thank you for the link to Harmonia. I even found an archived show entitled “What is Early Music?” from 5-26-05. I’m eager to listen! Kathy, we must be sharing the same brain; Hildegard von Bingen, and Origin of Fire is another favorite of mine. I’m eager to hear Anonymous 4 break out of their mold, if indeed that’s what American Angels does. I’ll check it out and thank you for the lead.>

Erik

posted June 26, 2006 at 5:57 am

If you want to hear Anonymous 4 “out of the mold”, check out the absolutely amazing recording of Richard Einhorn’s oratorio “Voices of Light.>

MS

posted June 26, 2006 at 7:34 pm

I haven’t listened for a while but I’ll segue from my Celtic chants into the early music thanks to you bringing it up and the letters of your readers who seem to be a well of inspiration and knowledge. Thanks so much and keep up the good work.MS>

daria

posted June 30, 2006 at 1:46 am

So, do I say thank you or help? Following Erik’s recommendation, I’ve been listening to Richard Einhorn’s “Voices of Light” which I believe was created to demonstrate how inadequate words are to describe it. It’s extraordinary (and also good for ignoring your family, work, and “to do” list.) I wish I could mandate that everyone listen to it. It’s that good. Even the liner notes are amazing. (Einhorn started composing at 15!) And I’m just getting started; this strikes me as music I’ll be listening to forever.>

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »