Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

The Secret Power of Doughnuts

posted by chattering mind

Buy a box of Entenmann’s assorted doughnuts (powdered, plain, chocolate). Place them on your counter. Watch what happens.

Humans are magnetically attracted to doughnuts. Especially when they’re in a blue-and-white box that reminds us of childhood. P dropped them in our shopping cart this weekend, and I asked if he was kidding. I’ve been on a mission to shift his diet from burgers and ice cream to something lighter–like kale, perhaps. Doughnuts with a 10-year shelf life are definitely not on the menu.

Which reminded me of a vegan chef I recently interviewed. When I asked her to reveal a few flavor secrets, she said that there are none–whole foods are already flavorful. But our American palates are so acclimated to the clamor of sugary and salty processed foods, she added, that they miss the subtle nuttiness of millet or the green sweetness of curly kale. The trick is resensitize our taste buds. (Told ya, P).

Back to the Entenmann’s. Nobody can resist that box. P’s already eaten four. My neighbor who lives on sardines and spinach salad had two. Even my friend who exists on parsley juice and seaweed flakes had three significant bites as she read the offending ingredient list: “hydrogenated palm kernel oil, refined sugar, white flour.” I watched them as I slurped down nonfat yogurt and a cup of green tea. “Doughnuts are poison,” I mumbled under my breath. Am I drawing too hard of a line? What do YOU think?

– Guest blogger Marisa Lowenstein

Pacific231

posted March 29, 2006 at 2:24 am

Dear Marisa, if one is going to indulge in food that’s not good for you, go all out. Don’t eat an Entenmann’s donut (UGH!), eat, say, a warm Krispy Kreme. Don’t eat a store-brand Eskimo Pie, eat a Dove bar. And so on. My suggestion has nothing to do with snob appeal, but the idea of making the few times you indulge in the bad food a special occassion. The operative word of course is “few” – so 4 Entenmann’s donuts definitely does not pass that test! :)>

Rebecca T

posted March 29, 2006 at 4:47 pm

This is one of those things which I think so totally depends on the person (which means we’re guarenteed to drive each other nuts about it!). I have family and friends who are very much affected by “bad” food – even a little bit disrupts the balance of their system. So they stop eating these things and drive everyone nuts telling them that they to can experience miracles if only they turn up their noses at processed foods. Then I know people who are clearly suffering the bad effects of bad food, but continue to eat it any way. It’s kind of sad. However, for most of us processed foods, eaten in moderation (and even occassionally in not such moderation – 4 doughnuts?) are just fine. I generally eat whole foods, because they’re better for me and my family and don’t cost as much if you shop smart. However, I do indulge in more processed foods at least once or twice a week. I look at it like alcohol – some people need to abstain, some people should abstain but don’t while most of us can enjoy it in moderation. Unless you know it’s going to negatively affect you, I don’t see why taking a bit of pleasure from something “bad” needs to be completely off limits.>

Tami Martin

posted March 29, 2006 at 6:01 pm

Hi, I see no reason to poison everyone around you just because you have decided to eat differently than they do. A doughnut is a doughnut, cyanide is poison.>

Daria

posted March 30, 2006 at 6:28 pm

Doughnuts are poison, I mumbled under my breath. Am I drawing too hard of a line? What do YOU think? Not if you’re simply expressing your own preference. But if you’re judging or preaching (instead of teaching/leading by example), that can be more poisonous than anything you put into your mouth. None of us like to be forced, shamed or guilted into acting differently, no matter how well-intentioned the advice. On the other hand, most of us love to model what we admire. I once loved Entenmann’s baked goods…couldn’t get enough. In fact, that was my problem! The more I ate, the more I wanted. I found that certain foods and additives created cravings that did nothing but increase my weight, reduce my health, and unbalance my mood. Over time, I changed my diet and in doing so, improved my entire life. So I understand what you mean about doughnuts being “poisonous”. For me, they are also, insofar as they run counter to everything else I practice, from eating wholesomely to recyclying. But most of all, I don’t like the taste of artificial anything, in my food or in my friends. FYI – Food additives like MSG and other glutamates induced my cravings for more of the same unhealthy and/or high calorie foods. Here’s some add’l information: “>http://www.healingwell.com/library/allergies/kaemmerer4.asp>

Pacific231

posted March 31, 2006 at 5:38 pm

“MMMMMMMM…Forbidden donut….!!” — Homer Simpson :)>

daria

posted April 2, 2006 at 5:40 am

At a seminar today I passed by a panoramic display of donuts and pasteries just in time to hear another woman say, “I can’t eat that stuff anymore. It’s like POISON in my system.” I thought I would die! Remembering this post, I said to myself, “MMMM…forbidden donut…” as I walked by, smiling.>

ChesterTheBear

posted April 2, 2006 at 11:40 am

A year or so back, I was at the World Congress for Antiaging Medicine in Las Vegas. This was a serious medical conference, full of leading medical practitioners and researchers so cutting edge that they probably need to get out more. One of the lecturers was extolling the virtues of Fish Oil. He said his team decided they wanted to find out if a human’s diet could get so bad it was beyond redemption. They decided to get 12 little pigs, and feed them on the worst thing a human being could possibly stick in his or her mouth without actually consuming poison. So they fed these pigs nothing but the nice warm doughnuts mentioned in another reply. They then added fish oil… the equivalent of a human dose of 10grams daily… to the diet of 6 of those pigs. I’m sure more than half the audience was thinking ‘MMMMMMMM… lucky pigs”. After 6 months, they dissected the pigs. The doughnut only group was in bad shape. The lecturer showed a slide of a slice of main coronary artery from one of those pige. It was completely clogged, and was representative of all of the doughnut only group. Then he showed a slide of the same dissection of coronary artery from the doughnut + fish oil group. There was an audible gasp from the 4,000 doctors in the room. The artery was COMPLETELY clear. So if you really want to poison yourself with trans-fatty acids, hydrogenated vegetable oils and glycolated end products (the ingredients of one of those yummy little treats), take some fish oil… it might help.>

Eileen

posted April 2, 2006 at 1:58 pm

I think you make too big of a deal out of ONE box of donuts. A little treat now and then does not poison make. Also, no one wants a health nut ruining their one (or four) donut(s). We are all entitled to make our own eating decisions. Lighten up a bit.>

Karen

posted April 2, 2006 at 4:00 pm

I avoid them as much as I can. They are highly addictive. At one time I was 30 pounds heavier years ago and I could not stop eating them. Doughnuts = Fat so strongly in my mind. This is coming from a thin person’s success story !!>

janet zappadiano

posted April 2, 2006 at 7:35 pm

Ha! Mention donuts and conjures up many memories of growing up and instead of getting a donut I went to the store and bought a little cake with peanut butter frosting on it. It was good considering I have not had anything sweet in a while. I am a person who was once nearly 400 pounds, now am down to 290 and am at a standstill. With the hope of spring comes the hope my muscles will be good to me and allow me to walk as much as I desire so I can get off the last 150 pounds I want to get off. It’s a battle I have fought all my life and now I don’t fight it I enjoy it. I don’t binge, much; don’t throw up too much and I drink as much water as I can without putting a Foley in so I don’t have to run to the ladies room every second. I am content with the person I am now yet I still strive to get down to my goal weight of 150, I have not seen that number in many, many years. I will get there with the help of God and my walkman! By the way I am 45 and the weight is being stubborn, it’s wanting to hang on! That’s how magnetic I am lol. Just kidding. Thanks for the story!>

Samantha

posted April 2, 2006 at 11:42 pm

I think it might or might not be poison..the thing is if you can control yourself, if you eat one doughnut and cant stop or if it makes you crave other sweet things then it could be a problem. But I think that not indulging EVER cant be good, there has to be a balance so I would try to eat one and stop or eat fpur and eat VERY healthy for the next few days.>

Anonymous

posted April 3, 2006 at 8:23 am

yes, donuts may be poison but how good they are. Connie>

Sheri

posted April 3, 2006 at 8:57 am

Lifes to short, indulge yourself once in a great while. I’m not saying eat the whole box, but you should not deny yourself an occassional treat. These small perks make life worth living!! Excuse me while I eat a donut!!>

Linda

posted April 3, 2006 at 9:29 am

I have given up booze.cig.and mostly I eat healthy foods.But if I have to give up all the things that really taste good forever, I would have to ask”So, I want to live to be 100 why?>

J R Avanti

posted April 3, 2006 at 3:24 pm

Moderation in EVERYTHING, especially Moderation! ! !>

Vince E. Frye

posted April 3, 2006 at 4:56 pm

I don’t think that ther is anything wrong with treating yoursef to a treat every now and then. Just remember you will have to make sacrufice. SO HELP YOURSELF!!!!>

Tarry Not

posted April 3, 2006 at 6:16 pm

Absolutely, I agree with you. They are very bad for you! P.S. Could you send the uneaten ones along to me? Thanks, Tarry>

lily

posted April 3, 2006 at 8:09 pm

The word is WILL POWER. give yourself a little,so you can acquire alot.>

Nisha Agarwal

posted April 4, 2006 at 8:16 am

Hi! there, once in a while its ok to eat all this, but u certainly have to draw a line to it, but not delete it from ur menu, so occassionaly put it in ur deit so that u atleast dnt crave for it or get most attracted to it whenever you see it.>

Anonymous

posted April 4, 2006 at 1:18 pm

Wow. Control issues, much? They may or may not be “poison” but nobody likes being told what to eat–and I know firsthand what happens when someone tries to control someone else’s habits. It backfires. Lighten up, lady. An unflinching need to control is poison, too.>

Connie

posted April 4, 2006 at 8:36 pm

This is so funny because my husband who loves sweets bought 2 boxes of entenmann’s doughnuts. I have been watching what I eat as I don’t want to gain. The crumb doughnuts looked so good, I couldn’t resist, I only had a 1/2 of one yesterday and 1/2 today. Now I won’t even look at them, I usually can control myself, but when you don’t have anything like that for a long time, you will crave it. I say, you can eat everything, but a very small amount, LOL.>

Rita

posted April 4, 2006 at 10:12 pm

You know, I think I will put my kids fresh fruits and veggies in a blue and white box and set it on the counter and watch them eat it all up!>

betsy edwards

posted April 4, 2006 at 10:18 pm

i so agree w/ you and the vegan chef — when i eat my oatmeal in the am – w/out anything on it (milk,sugar) if a friend happens to be there – all kinds of negative remarks are made. just like the tv camper who doesn’t hear his companion’s cry of, “BEAR!” while he happily munches his grapenuts (or whatever) – i keep right on enjoying the pure taste of my oatmeal. a good reference is duffy’s book “sugar blues”. betsy 4/4/06>

LaurieM

posted April 4, 2006 at 10:39 pm

Yes those kinds of donuts are poison. However the body can handle a moderate amount of poison. But I wonder if the people who were drawn to those donuts ate them with gusto? Did they savour every bite, or just stuff them into their mouths? I’ll bet the didn’t savour them and I’ll bet those donuts don’t really taste that good. What do you think would have happened if you had set out a basket of tree-ripened peaches instead? Speaking of childhood memories….>

Jeannette Strubhar

posted April 5, 2006 at 3:59 am

This reminded me of the doughnuts we used to serve at our mission every Saturday morning to the poor children of Peoria, Illinois. Bakeries gave us their day old doughnuts, and we gave them to the children to eat at Know Your Bible Club, along with some hot chocolate. Often they would take a brown paper bag full of doughnuts home to their siblings and parents. For these children it may have been the only breakfast they had. None of them ever asked if they were healthy or not. It took me many years, and my stepson’s request, before I bought a doughnut. I had been denying our children even an ocasional doughnut, because they repulsed me! I wonder if those children (now grown) ever serve doughnuts to their families?>

Peggy

posted April 8, 2006 at 10:12 am

Being the only woman working at a man’s factory building houseboats, there are several men after my affections. One brings me candy, another fruit. But the great guy that buys me a doughnut everyday off of the food truck at 1st break has won my heart.>

Linda Grace

posted April 30, 2006 at 12:04 am

Bless it as it goes down!! Every once in a while it is magnificinet to cheat on you dietary vslues! Its the company and the occassion that ofen calls for a celebration. Eat them then, with JOY!>

Johnk491

posted April 28, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Outstanding post, I conceive people should acquire a lot from this web blog its rattling user genial. So much superb info on here addaaedbdfag