Chattering Mind

Chattering Mind

The Gere Foundation: Interesting Facts

posted by chattering mind

Afer I write a blog item these days, I try to locate a free photograph on the web to accompany whatever I’ve written. So just now, when I went on the prowl for a Richard Gere photo, I decided to turn to his own Gere Foundation, which coordinates funds and grants to foster AIDS research and a free Tibet. Gere’s foundation website should be a good place to find his face, right? Wrong.

The foundation’s website is almost exclusively about the history, people and landscape of Tibet. It’s not about Gere at all. Gere isn’t even pictured. Nice!

Additionally, the website says where the Gere Foundation’s money is channeled. I hadn’t realized, for instance, that the group gives money to Tricycle magazine, the wonderfully written, thoughtfully edited Buddhist periodical.

Allow me to pick up and run with what follows, something I just lifted off their website, since it tells you concisely about the causes the Gere Foundation supports. I think you might one day be moved to contribute to this gracious, peace-loving group.

The Gere Foundation awards grants to humanitarian organizations supporting victims of war and natural disasters, providing HIV/AIDS care and research and addressing human rights violations occurring around the world. Our primary mission is to assist the cultural survival of the Tibetan people through health, technological and educational projects. The Gere Foundation contributes directly to The Tibet Fund, supporting His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan community-in-exile. Dislocated from their homeland since 1959 and under the continuing brutal occupation of the Chinese, thousands of Tibetan refugees risk their lives every year escaping to freedom in India, Nepal, Mongolia and elsewhere.

The Gere Foundation also contributes to other humanitarian causes: Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch for their work in global human rights with particular emphasis on China and Tibet, Survival International for their work with indigenous endangered cultures, Oxfam America, the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) for their work in famine, war, and disaster relief, AMFAR, AIDS ReSearch Alliance, AIDS Project of Los Angeles, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, Children Affected by AIDS, Harvard AIDS Institute, Naz Foundation and many other groups and research projects for their continuing fight against HIV/AIDS and their outreach to assist its victims.

Tina Marie Houseweart

posted January 29, 2006 at 4:33 pm

I am so glad that you have posted this information. Every time the subject comes up, I always mention Richard Gere, as not many people know about it. Richard Gere has practiced Buddhism for at least 25 years, now, or so, a true Bodhisattva! A Buddhist does not shine his/her own light, one just gives. It is so natural.>

Robin Kilgore

posted January 29, 2006 at 4:46 pm

Thank You for your article. I have been a fan of Mr. Gere for a long time and I knew of only a small part of his charitable work. Bless him and the many humanitarian causes which he supports. He is making the world a better place with such a gentle humility. He exemplifies a dimension of love and concern that we can all strive to realize and contribute to,whether it be through prayer and meditation or monetary and physical support.>

Olivia Lewis-Chang

posted January 31, 2006 at 4:44 pm

Imagine … everyone who had the means would support just one cause on this earth. It is incredible what one person can do – whether it is Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Gates or Gere. It should be the cause of us all to make the world a better place.>

Kunga Lhadzom

posted January 31, 2006 at 6:06 pm

it would be nice if he was the President of the United States…:)>

Matt Hollon

posted February 3, 2006 at 1:04 pm

thank you very much for this article! i had no idea that Richard Gere had such a charitable organization. one which i very much plan to contribute to in the future! namaste>

marian

posted February 4, 2006 at 4:15 am

so glad I found this web sight tonight… and happy to read about the gere works… thanks>

DrFrann

posted February 4, 2006 at 8:32 pm

If you travel through R Gere’s web site, both The Gere Foundation and Healing the Divide, you can find pictures of him. From the Gere Foundation, here is a link to pictures of him. But the site is not about him, it is about what he believes in and takes action in. Therein lies the work. “>http://www.gerefoundation.org/foreword.html>

g pen vapor cleaning

posted August 24, 2014 at 7:26 am

Superb, what a webpage it is! This blog gives valuable data to us, keep it up.

e cigarette zero nicotine

posted August 29, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly.
I am quite certain I will learn a lot of new stuff right here!
Best of luck for the next!

top blogging sites

posted September 12, 2014 at 12:12 am

This piece of writing is really a good one it helps new the web viewers, who are
wishing in favor of blogging.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Chattering Mind. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 9:09:39am Jul. 10, 2012 | read full post »

CM's Final Posts: You Can Fill the Space
Eighteen years ago, I wrote an article for a magazine that got me called in for a taped interview with a Fox TV morning news anchor. Being an effective communicator and a skillful public speaker was a dream of mine at the time. And still is. After some 30 minutes of prep with the station's hair-and-

posted 3:14:59pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Websites to Visit, Blogs to Read
Here are some blogs and websites I like. It's not a complete list. But it's a start. The first is called New Moon Journal and it is written by Michele Bailey-Lessirard, a life coach, collage artist, and "shamanic astrologer." On the opening page of her site, you'll find a little slide show of her am

posted 1:24:03pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

Still Posted at My Desk
"Take off from here. And don't be so earnest, let others wear the sackcloth and the ashes. Let go, let fly, forget. You've listened long enough. Now strike your note." From "Station Island," by Seamus Heaney

posted 1:13:33pm Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »

And Finally, This:
Place your burden at the feet of the Lord of the Universe who accomplishes everything. Remain all the time steadfast in the heart, in the Transcendental Absolute. God knows the past, present and future. He will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is to be done will be done at

posted 11:30:38am Jul. 27, 2007 | read full post »