Changing Channels

Changing Channels

Did Sanitized Stern Or ‘AGT’ Sell Out?

posted by mattaug

America’s Got Talent has always been one of my favorite shows, especially as an escape from the heat of the summer.

I’m not sure if the program will ever be the same for me, however.

That’s because of the addition of  the “King of All Media”, one Howard Stern.

Howard Stern

And it’s not that Stern hasn’t been funny or witty or even charming in some brief clips I have seen of the new judge, who is working with holdovers Sharon Osbourne and Howie Mandel.

It just doesn’t feel right that a person that  has made most of his success off being rude, crude and vulgar can now just step in and be a part of something that seemed pretty much apple pie and America.

Growing up I admired and enjoyed Stern for being able to do five to six hours of live, fresh radio compared to Imus’ four hours of mostly rehashed and replayed bits.

But I came to realize, mostly due to his hatred of all things God, that this was NOT someone I should be listening to.

I ask myself the same question now, is this someone I should be watching?

mattaug

posted May 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm

he’s a very smart, savvy man/businessman for sure. I guess the quandary for myself, to use a big word, is whether I should support someone who has done so much damage to modern “culture” and who so outwardly despises God. I have same issue w/Sharon to some extent, as Ozzy’s music has wreaked havoc on an entire generation.

Michele

posted May 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I was appalled as well, however, upon watching the show, my husband and I have been very pleasantly surprised to watch Stern have a very big heart towards the auditioners, and very kind and even wise words, hmmm… don’t know where all that comes from, but we were planning not to continue to watch if we saw the crudeness we expected to see, but we haven’t seen it!

Pauline

posted May 21, 2012 at 9:18 am

I disagree with you. Even though Howard has the reputation of being crude and offensive on his radio show, he is someone understands what has to go into developing talent. He is also someone who is not afraid of being straight forward and honest. I believe that is what the show is about. It’s about finding who has the greatest talent. Howard will not give someone false hope just to spare their feelings. I believe he will work well in the show’s dynamic. I watched it and found he was on the money when judging the competion. Give Howard a chance and see that he is very credible. I also believe he truly loves the show himself and that shines through when watching it. No I don’t believe they made the wrong decision.

Carol

posted May 20, 2012 at 10:44 am

Look on the bright side my friend.
Howard makes many laugh & has put people in the public eye that most of our whitewashed society
won’t have an opportunity to interface with ie homeless, gays (yay), & disabled mentally & physically.
He is a humanitarian.
Love u Howard.

Mandy

posted May 19, 2012 at 10:29 pm

No I will never watch AGT again!! And almost everyone
I know will never watch it again either!
The type of people that listen to him on a regular bases
don’t watch AGT!! so I think the producers made a Huge Mistake!! Especially how much he is being paid it’s a shame!! He ruined a good show for America! I think this will be AGT’s last season!! I hope anyway!

Dirk

posted May 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Come on!! Howard Stern is going to make the show more exciting to watch. The one thing about Stern is he will bring ratings, because people want to see what he will say next. Piers Morgan was boring and snooty, and Howard Stern is more open and says what he feels. That should make exciting TV.

Sandra Brunelli-Kornkven

posted May 19, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I think it is interesting how people can judge someone and know nothing about them. I would bet the majority of the “haters” never even heard Stern’s radio show. Such hypocrites …. WHY is it okay to have Steven Tyler on American Idol …. whose is a known cheating husband, drug addict, and alcoholic? Great role model. As well, Eddie Murphy can do his “act” using all kinds of profanity, gay slurs and jokes about sexual molestation … then goes onto do family friendly movies and no one has a problem with that? Anyone who judges Howard knows very little about him. He is a family man, a faithful husband, an animal lover who has rescued cats with medical issues no one else wanted, and a self-made multi-millionaire. Best interviewer I’ve ever heard who will ask the tough questions of his guests, instead of avoiding a controversial topic and kissing their butts.

Sherri

posted May 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm

What gives Stern any just experience when he himself has no talent but to degrade women and be rude to everyone else. I disliked his show an will miss AGT greatly. Hope the producers come to there sences and get rid of Stern an Howie as well. Donna $ummer u will be missed an THANK YOU FOR YOUR MUSIC.

Liz

posted May 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

I think it’s too easy to negatively judge Howard Stern. Unquestionably, there are bits in his radio career that push the boundaries and I simply turn the channel when that happens and my own personal “line” is crossed. However, if you look beneath the surface of the hype, you will find an intelligent hardworking man who has conducted his personal life with honor and integrity. He doesn’t lie, cheat, or steal and he is a committed husband and father.

Mike Killingsworth

posted May 19, 2012 at 8:01 am

I will not be watching the show this season, can’t believe they picked Howard Stern for the show.

Barbara Nelson

posted May 19, 2012 at 2:27 am

I absolutely share your views and sadly won’t be watching AGT again or at least while Stern is one of the judges and I really liked watching the exceptional talent that’s part of America.

Another blog to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Changing Channels. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter

posted 9:45:41am Dec. 20, 2012 | read full post »

This TV Critic Hopes Twitter Is Here To Stay!
A recent newspaper article that indicated Twitter is some kind of fad that could come and go in the next few years seems kind of sad to me. The great equalizer in our society isn't economic or legal or anythin

posted 5:04:10pm Dec. 12, 2012 | read full post »

Missing Sammy Davis Jr., Twinkies
I just noticed that the late, great Sammy Davis Jr's birthday, Dec. 8, came and went over the weekend. I miss the talented man, who broke down racial barriers through high great singing, dancing and even acting skills. Yes, even the latter, as judged by his appearance on the TV classic "All in

posted 8:22:23am Dec. 12, 2012 | read full post »

Daymond John Is One Cool 'Shark'
Inspiring people who are role-models are often difficult to come by when it comes to today’s television shows. Programs are often so full of rude, crude and offensive behavior from people with the same qualit

posted 1:39:27pm Dec. 10, 2012 | read full post »

On Thin Ice: Are NHL Owners Bargaining In Good Faith With Players?
I'm a strange 'cat', I'll admit it. Just ab0ut completely broke all the time, yet I am as conservative as the day is long. And I always will be. In a similar way, I have always been among the working middle class, or poor, lol, but tend to see things in the owner's point of view in many res

posted 6:23:34pm Dec. 07, 2012 | read full post »