Changing Channels

Changing Channels

Whitney Houston Deserved Flags Honor

posted by mattaug

Let’s be honest here, OK?

New Jersey deciding to fly its flags at half-staff for the death of Whitney Houston was a nice honor.

The woman was a music superstar and it’s important some people take pride in her and her accomplishments.

Whitney Houston

New Jersey governor Chris Christie isn’t perfect, by any means, but he made the right call with this one.

Christie has more important things to do, besides blasting Newt Gingrich for whatever reason, than consider this for too long.

As far as some people saying she deserved what happened because she was a “crackhead”, I am disappointed.

I’m not sure where sympathy and empathy have gone in this nation.

I’m saving all of mine … for you!

Check out Matt’s posts on the New York Yankees at: http://yanksgoyard.com/author/mattster/

mattaug

posted March 2, 2012 at 6:17 am

You didn’t sound harsh at all….thx for writing in….I think the consensus of most people is that NJ should NOT have flown the flags at half-mast in her honor … it should be saved for the military and other public service people. I think I lean in that direction myself now, despite having written the article. I think the decision to give her the honor, as well as my article, were both done emotionally rather than intellectually … not that that’s always a bad thing, but it’s not perhaps great long-term thinking.

Nilsa Medina

posted February 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I’m catholic christian. And I’m a mother of 3 and a grandma of 5 and definitely they’re my biggest blessing from the Lord; my heart goes to Whitney’s mother, Cici, I can’t imagine losing a child and even worst in that way.My prayers are with her. But having said that, I’m also a US veterans wife, and I feel that the flags shuldn’t be half way because of her daughter, look how many of our soldiers have died in the war and for no one that has been done. I’m sorry but those gave their lives, for us to have freedom, and I don’t think that was right to do it for Whitney, specially since she died for consequences of addiction, our young people are looking and getting the wrong messages. I’m sorry, I don’t want to sound harsh but it’s my sincere feeling. Lord may her rest in peace and give her mother and her family the resignation and the peace they need.Amen.

JB

posted February 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm

She may have been a great singer but not anywhere near caliber person deserving the coverage and half flag positioning she got.

margie

posted February 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I hate what happen to Whitney Houston but I don’t think the FLAGS SHOULD HAVE BEEN FLOWN HALF MASS WE DON’T EVEN DO THIS FOR OUR FALLEN SOULDIERS.HONOR THE ONES WHO GIVE THEIR LIFE FOR US GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY

Linda Berry

posted February 21, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Thank you for the article on Whitney Houston. I have not met anyone that haven’t got a few skeletons in his/her closet. We are all working towards perfection. What ever happened to “Love thy neighbor as thyself?” God Bless you all. Again, thank you.

liz

posted February 21, 2012 at 4:27 pm

THE BIBLE SAYS JUDGE NOT LEST WE BE JUDGED.
SINCE NONE OF US KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO HER, WE SHOULD PRAY FOR HER SOUL

Judy

posted February 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hats off to Gov. Christy. Miss Houston is finally free and may she rest in peace.

Reneegede

posted February 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Whitney did deserve that honor, crackhead or no crackhead. It was no less than they would have done for anyone else like her, including the drunks and drug addicts who have died that they’ve done it for before. Her accomplishments spoke volumes, she broke multiple records that no other singer has ever done and her state and hometown had every right to be proud of their homegirl. Her drug habits hurt no one but herself.

Alice

posted February 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

I believe that we are a society that requires PREFECTION, that isn’t going to happen until JESUS comes again. We should not judge one another; we should instead lift one another to a level of love, compassion and respect, stop pointing our fingers at one another and face our own demons. Your wrong is no better than mine. Look in your mirror, before you checkout my closet, because there is some cleaning you need to do first. He who has not sinned, throw the first stone John 8:7. Please stop being judges of others and do examinations of self. We can only help one another if we acknowledge our own weakness. Be blessed.

Patrice

posted February 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

Whitney earn that high Honor. She work hard for it.

Even though she had some troubles, ….that one perfect throught the first stone.!!

She never make headlines for being an easy woman, and nobody can deny her excelent profesional life.

Therefore, BRAVO….well deserved honor!!

DB

posted February 21, 2012 at 2:12 am

I thank God that He blessed us with Miss Houston. Her gift of songs and angelic voice
was truly a blessing to the world from God! She will certainly be missed, but her legacy through song and movies will live on. I pray for her child’s strength through such a devastating loss and hope she receives comfort in knowing that the Lord loves her and is able to sustain her. May God ever bless her to live and accomplish the wondrous plan He has for her life. May Ms. Houston rest in peace and may her family be comforted.

SHERRY

posted February 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Good for you. It is a sad day when we cannot honor people who are human. Last time I checked, the Messiah has not come back yet

military wife and mom

posted February 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I am sorry, but I do not agree to the lowering of the flags to half staff. Yes, Whitney was a wonderful singer and she will be missed. But she did not give her life for her country, nor was she a hero. I think that the lowering of the flags to half staff should be reserved for those who sacrifice their lives for our freedoms.

VTya

posted February 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm

The last song she sang in public was “Jesus Loves Me” She held on to her faith in God and that faith carried her home.
Whitney is not the first star to die in such a tragic way and, I’m afraid she won’t be the last.
The list includes Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Heath Ledger et. al. I wonder if they would ever refer to them in such a negative way?
The conversation we should be having is about prescription drugs and the doctors who give them so easily to known drug addicts.
We should also consider the unrealistic expectations we place on performers for our own gratification. We are brutal in our criticism when they change as human beings do, through aging etc.

Confused

posted February 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

So what about all the servicemen and women who have died for your country. Should you not have the flags at half staff for them too? I don’t respect Whitney by any means because if she truly loved God like everyone says she does she would have found the strength to stop tangoing with the devil. Please don’t save your sympathy or empathy for me..I don’t need it. But your Country really needs to get it’s priorities straight. You fly a flag at half mass for a hero…not a person whose music career was over 15 years ago. To quote a great Canadian singer…Better to burn out…than to rust. She rusted herself and no one else is to blame but herself.

michelle

posted February 20, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I know for certain that anyone ready to condem Whitney Houston for her actions during her marriage to b.brown obviously has never been in a horriable relationship,Id like to pin down the numbers on that one.I would also like to know how many of the people that are so ready to say horriable things about this miraculous women have listened to her music and said what a voice but when she was down you were all ready to kick her how american of you.Its always the ones that are jealous of someones talent that love to see them stumble.Well look at your own life——lets talk about it and see how many times you have screwed up,and then lets put in the paper and follow you around constantly and see how you hold up un der that presure.Grow up people and get your own life————-Keep the flags blowing for WHITNEY

Anonymous

posted February 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm

While she was an good entertainer she did nothing spectacular or heroic to deserve the honor of having the flag lowerd in her honor!
It’s really tiring to see how people who don’t deserve this honor are gett ing it more & more, while those who are deserving are being denied the honor they’ve earned!

Diane

posted February 20, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I watched the funeral on television and i was so moved by the service. All of us go through trials and tribulations in life. But she still knew the Lord. We will always love you Whitney!!!!

Fred

posted February 20, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I, like every other fan of Whitney Houston, will miss her and her music, however, the lowering of the flag for her, was not warranted. The flying of the flag , has been reserved for National tragedies, such as the the falling of the twin towers, the loss of a President, a military personnel, or other political heads of state, but not for a pop icon!

suzann

posted February 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Why does she deserve flags at 1/2 mast? She took her own life, she did not give it to her country as our service men and women do. She made a conscious choice to use and use until there was nothing left. She chose dope over her family, friends and Country. Pretty selfish if you ask me!

Jay

posted February 20, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Lowering the flags for Whitney was great and it was deserved but, regardless of how she died, how she lived for a short time in her life, and the other crap aside; she helped others live. She gave them life in her music. Her music was her gift to us and it was her gift from GOD. We the living can say this and say that about Whitney but we would all be errand as people until “we walk many days in her shoes.” We do not know her true triumphs, we really did not know her true defeats, we did however know her music. There is not a person on this earth who was not touched by that music. Two songs that she sung which made everyone cry as they touched hearts so deeply- “The Star Spangled Banner” and “I Will Always Love You.” She did them her way, changed the face of those songs, and most “Loved” her for it. Remember folks, I know I cannot judge Whitney for whatever as I am a sinner. GOD will be the judge of her and all of us. You have say to yourself should I judge her. Remember let he who is without sin cast the stones at Whitney. Rest In Peace Whitney…I Will Always Love You. Seek Peace and Love thy Brother. Thanks.

Donna

posted February 20, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I agree that lowering the flag to half staff should be reserved for people in the military who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Also for head’s of state, etc. But as much as I loved Whitney Houston’s music, this was an honor that she did not deserve. I also do not judge her because of her substance abuse issues. I pitied her, and wished she had gotten more help, and sooner so that she could have saved herself and her gift. Her story is a sad one, but it could have turned out so much differently had she only relied on her faith more than the drugs. RIP Ms. Houston.

Becky

posted February 20, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Lowering the flags should be reserved for those who laid down their lives for this country, not someone who wrote and sang songs. It is an insult to our fallen heroes.

Jeannie Allen

posted February 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I loved Whitneys Music. Especially Jesus Loves me, and he did Love her n anyone else that goes astray, Ppl that say bad things , are ignorant to real life. they live in a fairy tale world.The real world is tough and sometimes merciless on the Ones that have fallen by the wayside, I believe Whitney Loved the Lord and she is with Him, God Bless Her and her family n I pray he gives them peace. A beautiful spirit has gone back to be with the Lord, I will Miss her, and shame on the perfect ppl that Judge her. God Help You that U are never faced with Lifes Tragedies and heartaches,,,, Because Of Jesus, I am what I am,never perfect but ,standing in the need Of His love and forgiveness. Love, Jeannie Allen, Bassett ,Virgina

Adelaide Wilson-Reid

posted February 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I will always admire Whitney Houston for the accomplishments she made during her career in music and movies wither under The influence or not. Who am I to judge, only God her maker can judge her. Who knows, I believe she’s up there in Heaven singing for forgiveness for all of those who lead her to distruction.Sure we can say say she might have been able to prevent it, but we all have made worse mistakes than she did. I will always love her for her uplift in song. May you rest in peace Whitney and may God rest your soul

John

posted February 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I don’t care what people think about Whitney Houston, I thought she was not only a wonderful singer, but a great actor as well. She was such a beautiful person and may she rest in peace. She always be in our Hearts!!She will be truely missed think and pray for those left behind who loved her.

Your Name

posted February 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

She got so much more than any of our servicemen will ever get ….enough is enough !

JK

posted February 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm

JK

posted February 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I believe that the moving memorial service is a more appropriate tribute to Ms. Houston’s memory.

The Governor doesn’t really have the authority to order the US flag to half staff in honor of anyone’s death but service members or former members of the state government. Federal code affords the President (and only the President) this discretion. See the link.

John J Masucci

posted February 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

This has not a thing to do with her history as an addict . Flags are flown to honor dignitaries and servicepeople that are affiliated with local or world governments or have been given a special designation by government decree…neither for which Whitney qualified.

Iris

posted February 20, 2012 at 4:27 pm

It is sad what happened to her…some people are in such deep pain and for some reason they just self destruct themselves…deep sorrows,and who knows what else but please people stop, think and pray for those left behind who loved her.

Diana McCann

posted February 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

BamaBob Yates

posted February 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I AM sorry but nothing like the flags at half staff was meritted for her, sure, she had a great singing voice that entertained millions (PERIOD). Why was no media coverage given for the soldiers deaths that occured at the same time & continue to happen?

Your Name

posted February 20, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Miss Whitney Houston does not deserve a Half Staff Flag, nor does she deserve hateful comments about her adiction,we all have choices she made hers, we do better when we know how to do better, it is a sad thing.

Valerie

posted February 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I will allways remember the voice the gift she shared,the singing gave hope and strength to others.
I am sad she was unable to overcome her demon but I will not judge I am sad that a lot of people are busy judging.I pray for her family that they may find strength to carry on and support emotionally the beautiful child she left behind

Minister Tilita Smith-Lowery

posted February 20, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I thank and Praise God for the time we had with His Angel Whitney Houston. We have to remember that our God causes it to rain on the just as well as the unjust. Ms. Gladys I just want to say to you, “Let He who is without sin cast the first stone”!!!!

pat

posted February 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I have never seen so much negative talking about Whitney Houston . She did not have a 21 gun salute or a national holiday veteran day or jets flying over head in which we honor our veterans not to mention the metals and burial in Arlington cemetary. Flags flying at half mass is now a honor for people who are heros in all respect of life even in the entertainment business. If you heard Ms Houston sing our national athem she deserve to have flags flying at half mass. Gov Christe was right on this call and I thank him for that.

Gladys

posted February 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I mourn her death and the death of that angelic voice, but feel angry that she was given a gift that many of us would love to have and threw it all away; ruining that wonderful gift with alcohol and drugs. Even more tragic when you think of how many people are living in poverty and without basic needs and all the money she sqandered on drugs could have saved many a soul from the depths of poverty.

Arlene

posted February 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I watched the funeral service and I cried. I loved Kevin Costner speech and I loved even more, the Message “PRIOROTISE”.

Berdell Fleming

posted February 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I agree with Gov.Christy to honor Miss Houston. We are all human and imperfect.
She was a native of the State and brought
much notierity because of her fame.
We all do some good and some not so good.

Darla

posted February 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Ms. Houston,

Thank you for all that you gave of yourself. Your songs have given me Hope, Strength and Power…RIP Beautiful Lady ~ You will be truely missed by many!!! Peace, Love and Song…