Changing Channels

Changing Channels

Ho, Ho Humbled … Best Buy Slams Santa

posted by mattaug

Let me make one thing perfectly clear … as the late, great President Nixon used to say… I have NEVER been a big fan of Santa Claus.

I think he’s part of the commercial distraction that takes away from the Christ in Christmas.

Or tries to.

That said, I am actually a bit uncomfortable about the ads “starring” Santa on Best Buy, where people try to one-up him by getting better gifts for people than he does.

The commercials are smart and edgy, to be sure, but they seem a little mean-spirited as well.

I mean, what did Santa ever do to these people to get mocked by having his replica kicked off the roof or get texted nasty little messages?

Santa’s not sacred to me, not by ANY means, but it could be jarring for little kids to see him treated so shabbily.

Santa Claus

It seems like the part of our culture about “buying happiness” through gifts, electronics or whatever, trumps everything.

Even poor Santa!

Chewy

posted December 25, 2011 at 7:33 am

I couldn’t agree more. I was very disappointed at what Christmas has come to for advertisers, malls, and department stores.

mattaug

posted December 24, 2011 at 7:32 am

yes….I love the freedom of capitalism but this is one instance of it going too far. There was a time when stories were even closed on Sundays out of respect to the Lord, so look at how far we have gone … in the wrong direction …. since then. thanks everyone for the comments!

LARRY

posted December 24, 2011 at 12:49 am

Why pick on Santa? Santa selflessly rewards good children for being good. Remember Santa is aledged to have god like abilities to know when children have been “Bad” or “Good” and knowing when they are asleep.

The idea of trying to top Santa in giving the most desired gifts just simply panders to all the crass greed that Christians object to about the secular side of Christmas.

Rosalind A. Francis

posted December 23, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I like the Idea of Santa but Believe the Holiday is about Christ birth. Best buy is completing missing what the spirit of the Holiday is and I too feel very uncomfortable with the commercial. I think they ar mean spirited.

connie

posted December 23, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Horrible commercial. I am glad that Christmas is almost here so I won’t have to see this mean sprited crap anymore. Shame on you Best Buy.

Your Name

posted December 23, 2011 at 11:11 am

Looks like Santa had the last laugh, Best Buy’s on the naughty list now.

christine

posted December 23, 2011 at 9:16 am

you are so right. with all the other nonsense going on about christmas, now they have to pick on santa. good grief

Leonard

posted December 23, 2011 at 8:38 am

Years ago my oldest son began school, he was about six or seven and he came to me after being badgered by his school mates; he asked me “Dad, is Santa Clause real ?” – this was after several years of perpetuating the myth that he was ! When I told him that he wasn’t his eyss teared over and he said with a tone I cannot describe, “dad, you said you would never lie to me!” and he walked away.

LIe is a Lie is a Lie… can’t sugar coat it – lying to your child is a good way to alianate yourself from them.. I should have told him the TRUTH from the beginning – Christmas is about Jesus – the Gift from God was his son that we would have an opportunity to KNOW HIM. So before you continue to Glorify the Santa image, consideer the real reason for the season and let’s glorify God; that same son years later held the bitterness of that moment and he’s 35 now.. we’ve mended our relationship but I have never fogotten that little boy who was let down when he found that the mythological Santa we had held up in his youth was not real. God Is Real

maryann moon

posted December 23, 2011 at 12:30 am

Yes, even Santa deserves a nod of respect, not nasty text
messages, which I’ve just now just read about. What for? Santa doesn’t deserve any nasty cracks. He does take the sacredness and holiness out of this marvelous celebration
of Christ’s birth, and the idea that Christ lives at the
heart of everyone, lives at the Soul level of us all , which carries much light in the body’s cells – of everyone….
is kind of a thrilling idea to entertain. Pretty powerful
is the Love we speak of here. Truly Divine.

Jay

posted December 22, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I love Santa,What He means to many or at least what He used meant. Our children are losing Their childhood,Often dressing like Wrappers and Hookers trying to grow-up quick.

ReddyDebby

posted December 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Amen! I agree with Nixon and I agree with the point this article makes.

Marie

posted December 22, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I, too, dislike those commercials. And being a contrary old woman, it will be a while before I shop at Best Buy. While they will not lose a lot of money, they have lost a lot of respect.

Your Name

posted December 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

considering the origins of xmas, I thought the commercials were very entertaining!!!

JoAnn

posted December 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I agree 100% to the previous 2 comments. Makes me feel so much better that I am not the only person bothered by these commercials.

Your Name

posted December 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Humm money or Santa Claus.
Money or Ricard Nixon. Money is the only thing that counts in the United States of America.

kb

posted December 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I just want to say thank you for posting these comments. I thought I was the only one disturbed by the way Santa is being portrayed in these commercials. I think Best Buy takes the commercialism of this season to a whole different level, and not in a good way.

Deb

posted December 21, 2011 at 11:57 am

I am bothered by the commercials as well. It’s the attitude. You see this attitude permeating our society. The superior, I’m better than you, in your face, lack of respect attitude.
No matter what you believe or don’t believe about Christmas, this is NOT a message of giving or kindness or love.
Best Buy could have used the ad dollars to donate to the needy instead and it would have made a positive impact.

Another blog to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Changing Channels. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter

posted 9:45:41am Dec. 20, 2012 | read full post »

This TV Critic Hopes Twitter Is Here To Stay!
A recent newspaper article that indicated Twitter is some kind of fad that could come and go in the next few years seems kind of sad to me. The great equalizer in our society isn't economic or legal or anythin

posted 5:04:10pm Dec. 12, 2012 | read full post »

Missing Sammy Davis Jr., Twinkies
I just noticed that the late, great Sammy Davis Jr's birthday, Dec. 8, came and went over the weekend. I miss the talented man, who broke down racial barriers through high great singing, dancing and even acting skills. Yes, even the latter, as judged by his appearance on the TV classic "All in

posted 8:22:23am Dec. 12, 2012 | read full post »

Daymond John Is One Cool 'Shark'
Inspiring people who are role-models are often difficult to come by when it comes to today’s television shows. Programs are often so full of rude, crude and offensive behavior from people with the same qualit

posted 1:39:27pm Dec. 10, 2012 | read full post »

On Thin Ice: Are NHL Owners Bargaining In Good Faith With Players?
I'm a strange 'cat', I'll admit it. Just ab0ut completely broke all the time, yet I am as conservative as the day is long. And I always will be. In a similar way, I have always been among the working middle class, or poor, lol, but tend to see things in the owner's point of view in many res

posted 6:23:34pm Dec. 07, 2012 | read full post »