Changing Channels

Changing Channels

Uptight, Upset About What’s On TV

posted by mattaug

Ozzy Osbourne

An old family friend wrote in the other day “man, you are tight, lol”.

He was referring to my recent feature on ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine in which I knocked the former Mets manager for using the expression “baseball gods”, as in “the baseball gods will decide if Albert Pujols returns to St. Louis.”

To be fair, Valentine is FAR from the only person to use the expression “gods of this” or “gods of that” but it doesn’t make it right and it never will.

This family friend is right too, I am uptight … about what I have seen and heard about what’s on TV these days.  For instance:

A reference to the Bible reference of the Magi (three kings from the East who travel to worship Christ) mangled to refer to a female body part on Modern Family.

The parents on The Middle lying to a football recruiter in saying their son was busy reading the Bible when he wasn’t working on his academics or playing football.

A poster reading “Pray Now” for the PN part of ESPN telling one football team to pray in order to have a chance to beat the other team. (Sorry, but that’s NOT what prayer is for).

An entire family singing an Ozzy Osbourne song to promote an auto in a car ad. The same Ozzy who has albums entitled The Prince of Darkness, Diary of a Madman and Speak of the Devil.

So yes, forgive me if I am more than a little uptight about what’s on television these days.

Frightened for our future might be an even better description of how I feel, however.

SEAN

posted December 25, 2011 at 8:44 am

Clearly the value of money is placed far ahead of the value responsibility in today’s TV show industry. For them, this is easy money.

Easy money means one does not have to truly work for, and thus pay for, what is received. This generation, and the next…, pays the bill instead.

Matt

posted November 10, 2011 at 6:20 am

good point Anna…mentioning some reality shows could have DOUBLED the length of this feature story for sure! people getting famous for acting dumb or disgusting…puh-leez!

Anna

posted November 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I’m concerned that the blogger didn’t mention shows (purportedly “reality”) that show downright bad behavior, usually by young people. Yes, isolated incidents are upsetting, but there is a whole culture of “I get to be as bad as I want and people pay me for it” mentality on much of TV now that is disgusting.

mattaug

posted November 9, 2011 at 9:03 am

thanks for comment pj….well put!

pj

posted November 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Amen! The left calls us uptight all the time, and I say it is not straying from the Word of God when they find it all to easy to follow the WORLD! That won’t get you where you, fellow Christians and I plan on going!

mattaug

posted November 8, 2011 at 6:47 pm

very true george….and something tells me you are NOT listening to rap music, either! that could be a whole ‘nother feature story, right?

mattaug

posted November 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I dig around for clean, interesting shows too…history channel, smithsonian and storage wars type shows are pretty good and watchable…thx for writing in!

mattaug

posted November 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm

shows that COULD be cute…like that one on CBS about the geeks…turn out to be ALL about sex..what’s so clever about that? thanks for reading susan!

mattaug

posted November 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Mel….SO TRUE and so well put! God has no use for our money…and God does know everything and can find anything, after all HE created everything, so how could he not?

mattaug

posted November 8, 2011 at 6:41 pm

true david….as a substitute teacher myself I know what you mean…and you have interesting thoughts on TV as a reflection of what we have become….

mattaug

posted November 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm

good point janice…

George B Vieto

posted November 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm

It is a shame that television has gone down with profane language and suggestive humor. I just to listen to music on the radio or music channels.

Cliff Tomlin

posted November 8, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I agree with the writer of the article. I am glad that some of the old shows are still on cable. If that were not the case, I would cancel cable. Maybe, I need to anyway.

susan

posted November 8, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thanks so much for expressing your concerns about TV.

My husband, children, and I really enjoyed the show Chuck when it came out originally. We had to turn it off last week because of scenes that were inappropriate. Also, we enjoyed Parenthood. It has now gotten to be “not fit to watch”. Language, sex (or inuendos), and just anti moral subject matter has gone too far. We are turning off our TV. My son who is 17 made comment last week (which I am proud of) that he probably would not watch Chuck again because of the content of the program. He loved the show. Just a few comments.

Mel B.

posted November 8, 2011 at 10:49 am

It is sad to see the direction in which we are going, and yes I strongly believe it will get worst. Really worst. God’s word says it so. TV is out of control. I don’t like remarks such as “he has more money than GOD” on one tv show, and another stated, “not even GOD can find such and such”. Sex, sex, sex. Really though, enough is enough. Continue to pray, that GOD will continue to bless those who follow him and live for him.

David

posted November 8, 2011 at 10:11 am

As a recently retired educator, I can tell you the marked difference in the attitude and boundaries children have displayed over the 30 years of exposure to television, media, video stimuli, and a lack of “training” in the home. We were once a nation that honored God and His Word by READING and STUDYING it, and long before television, it formed the foundation for our thinking and relationships. I do grieve at the banal blatant way in which we have thrown away decency, values, appropriate language, and the meaning of love by what we display in our thinking as seen on television. But after all, television is only a medium of expression…and it conveys the mindset and mentality of the people controlling it. When will the righteous stand up and say….”ENOUGH”…There is a cost to creating a society that stands for something other than trash!

Janice Cook

posted November 8, 2011 at 8:21 am

As Christians and Americans, we have the option and freedom to turn off our televisions. When we all start doing this, the networks don’t get the ratings and they fail. We need to send this message to all. Just turn off your TVs!!!

mattaug

posted November 8, 2011 at 7:37 am

thanks for writing in patricia and etta … the examples I wrote of were mostly on one night of TV too! I use TV for my work…sports…and I need to pretty much just stick to watching those channels from now on … and news …. if it’s not too sordid, that is.

Patricia

posted November 8, 2011 at 6:18 am

There isn’t much on television worth watching anymore and if there is something of interest it is full of words I choose not to use in my life……….I use tv as background noise, mostly I am playing on the computer, but I have decided that I don’t need 20 murders a day, reality that would be considered foolishness and laziness is a disease? I have started listening to HGTV a lot, I learn a few things sometimes and it doesn’t depend on my undivided attention to know what the plot is and I don’t think I have ever heard any profanity…………I think more people are making a choice now, and either turning the channel or turning it off……….Thanks for listening

Etta Ruthenberg

posted November 8, 2011 at 6:10 am

I will never forget my dad saying it was a big turn on to see a female’s ankle. We have come a long way……..in the wrong direction.

Over exposure is causing man to sink lower and lower in search for something that will turn them on.

People have become immune to too much. We are sliding down a very dangerous slop!

But just look who our kids admire!

Another blog to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Changing Channels. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter

posted 9:45:41am Dec. 20, 2012 | read full post »

This TV Critic Hopes Twitter Is Here To Stay!
A recent newspaper article that indicated Twitter is some kind of fad that could come and go in the next few years seems kind of sad to me. The great equalizer in our society isn't economic or legal or anythin

posted 5:04:10pm Dec. 12, 2012 | read full post »

Missing Sammy Davis Jr., Twinkies
I just noticed that the late, great Sammy Davis Jr's birthday, Dec. 8, came and went over the weekend. I miss the talented man, who broke down racial barriers through high great singing, dancing and even acting skills. Yes, even the latter, as judged by his appearance on the TV classic "All in

posted 8:22:23am Dec. 12, 2012 | read full post »

Daymond John Is One Cool 'Shark'
Inspiring people who are role-models are often difficult to come by when it comes to today’s television shows. Programs are often so full of rude, crude and offensive behavior from people with the same qualit

posted 1:39:27pm Dec. 10, 2012 | read full post »

On Thin Ice: Are NHL Owners Bargaining In Good Faith With Players?
I'm a strange 'cat', I'll admit it. Just ab0ut completely broke all the time, yet I am as conservative as the day is long. And I always will be. In a similar way, I have always been among the working middle class, or poor, lol, but tend to see things in the owner's point of view in many res

posted 6:23:34pm Dec. 07, 2012 | read full post »