Changing Channels

Changing Channels

‘Tooth’ Be Told, Did Bayer Touch Up Ad?

posted by mattaug

It would be better if I noticed more important things.

And perhaps I shouldn’t even blog about this … but here goes.

Bayer recently began airing an ad for a new extra strength formula product supposed to provide relief within minutes off ingestion.

The company uses the product developer, or head of the team, Dr. Eric First in the ad.

He speaks well and appears comfortable on air, but he had one glaring problem.

First had discolored, and even in some cases, missing teeth.

I feel bad about mentioning it, because while my mouth looks OK it has always been a bit of a war zone for my unfortunate dentist(s).

First things first, however, on an ad today it appeared First’s mouth had been “touched up” to make it appear he has a full set of teeth.

It makes me wonder how Bayer went through the “trouble” of making the ad without noticing First’s, ahem, challenge.

Should the company stick with using cute ads, like the one below?

YouTube Preview Image

Should Bayer just have let it go, or were they right to go back to try to fix First’s mouth for the ad?

The spot was for pain relief, after all, not dentistry.

Or is it wrong of me to notice such surface things, anyway?

I am open to a ripping here … or suggestions.

………………………………………………………………………

FOR A LOOK AT THE SPORTS OF THE DAY CHECK OUT:  http://www.heapsgoodstuff.com/

mattaug

posted February 12, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Natalie, Natalie … didn’t mean to offend with the blog post BUT…clearly there are two different ads, one previously where his teeth don’t look as nice as they did during a second round of the same EXACT commercial. It’s really not a big deal, but it WAS kind of interesting Bayer, in my opinion, felt the need to “touch up” the ad. The doctor seems like a good man, though, and I did think twice about writing it…

natalie kellogg

posted February 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm

WTF are you people talking about? He happens to be my brother and he doesn’t have blacked out OR missing teeth. Not really sure what you guys are smoking because we’ve seen the commercial too and didn’t notice. Maybe you need to fill up your time with something other than worrying about a stranger’s appearance. Just sayin’.

Shipton Sands

posted November 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm

@ Mary, you might want to google Bayer’s history before saying they did no harm. They were the makers of Zyklon B used by the Nazis in the concentration camps. Just saying . . .

mattaug

posted September 13, 2011 at 7:49 pm

that is so true…lol…there is NO pain like tooth pain….

mattaug

posted September 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm

yow-ch! sorry to hear that about…yes…Bayer could have avoided my post by re-touching the ad first.

Matt

posted September 12, 2011 at 10:34 pm

lol to GRaines…thx for comments. right or wrong about writing this post it has been e-mailed 250 times…pretty amazing…now I hope those people read post too…lol

GRraines

posted September 12, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Your big screen HD plasma TV is TOO big.

Patrick

posted September 12, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I found this post by googling ” dr. Eric first has bad teeth”. My mouth has been a war zone as well but I have no dental plan. It amazes me how a top doctor can have such jacked up teeth!!! He looks like Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

Dawn Neville

posted September 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Perhaps it was filmed that way on purpose.
Dental pain ‘screams’ for quick relief!

mattaug

posted September 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

thanks for the comments…and I DID debate this within myself whether or not it was a worthy post. At the end of the day I think it was because it was interesting what Bayer did with the ad initially AND after in touching it up. Someone referred to Dr. First as “creepy”… and there must be others who thought so too … and in “real life” don’t take pills from a stranger….

Lisa

posted September 10, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I’m just wondering if Pam doesn’t have a full keyboard in order to actually spell out her words. People are going to forget how to spell with the texting shortcuts.

Mary

posted September 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I think I would just give thought as to why this brought up a concern within yourself…not whether Bayer made a decision one way or the other…good point upon which to contemplate…our own reactions…let Bayer be Bayer…they’ve caused no harm…

pam munro

posted September 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

The head of their team had “missing” & “discolored” teeth??? Don’t they pay him enuf 2 hv his teeth fixed? Or cdn’t they hv fixed them 4 him 4 the ad? (there are, of course, fake teeth tht also cn B used 4 a shoot…)

Patrick

posted September 10, 2011 at 11:28 am

The fact remains the majority of people would have never known this? The notion he has dental issues is in no relation to the product being represented. Im certain they just wanted the Dr. appearing as your average American physician.
In other words, I have no issue with what the marketing company provided, or eluded to.

mattaug

posted September 9, 2011 at 7:08 am

thanks lee…I watch TOO much TV, but it was hard NOT to notice the before and after. He seems like a nice enough guy, Dr. First, so they should have looked out for him by touching up the ad BEFORE airing. Thanks for commenting and reading … I still think it was worth reporting on and YOU confirmed that!

Lee

posted September 8, 2011 at 10:49 pm

muy observant Matt. I couldn’t believe the toothy distraction when I first saw the spot, and did a double take a couple days ago when I saw it again. This should have been handled in post production…maybe with that big raise from developing the formula he can now afford braces.

Another blog to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Changing Channels. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter

posted 9:45:41am Dec. 20, 2012 | read full post »

This TV Critic Hopes Twitter Is Here To Stay!
A recent newspaper article that indicated Twitter is some kind of fad that could come and go in the next few years seems kind of sad to me. The great equalizer in our society isn't economic or legal or anythin

posted 5:04:10pm Dec. 12, 2012 | read full post »

Missing Sammy Davis Jr., Twinkies
I just noticed that the late, great Sammy Davis Jr's birthday, Dec. 8, came and went over the weekend. I miss the talented man, who broke down racial barriers through high great singing, dancing and even acting skills. Yes, even the latter, as judged by his appearance on the TV classic "All in

posted 8:22:23am Dec. 12, 2012 | read full post »

Daymond John Is One Cool 'Shark'
Inspiring people who are role-models are often difficult to come by when it comes to today’s television shows. Programs are often so full of rude, crude and offensive behavior from people with the same qualit

posted 1:39:27pm Dec. 10, 2012 | read full post »

On Thin Ice: Are NHL Owners Bargaining In Good Faith With Players?
I'm a strange 'cat', I'll admit it. Just ab0ut completely broke all the time, yet I am as conservative as the day is long. And I always will be. In a similar way, I have always been among the working middle class, or poor, lol, but tend to see things in the owner's point of view in many res

posted 6:23:34pm Dec. 07, 2012 | read full post »