As I was doing research for interviewing Susan Piver who will be featured in the Living Their Bliss entry, I came upon something on her website that seemed like so much fun, that I decided to re-create it here. She called it Twenty five Random Things About Me. Here are mine:
1. I can pick things up with my toes, as a result of having to do exercises for being pigeon toed and flat footed as a kid. I have very happy feet now:)
2. According to my Mom (bless her Soul:), I spoke my first word at 6 months old and she would add “And you haven’t stopped since.”
3. When I was 7, I rode my bike without training wheels for the first time and when my father (bless his Soul too:) ran with me and let go of the back of the bike, I crashed into the tree in the front yard. It didn’t stop me from getting back on the bike and riding again. That’s kind of how I live my life.
4. I have had a series of fun jobs: including lifeguard/swimming instructor/swim team coach, greeting card text writer, clown named Feather who is a faerie, ice cream parlor scooper, doing organic skin care product demos and being an artist’s model.
5. I do alot of ‘emotional bungee jumping’, never having done it physically.
6. I have more books than any other type of item in my house.
7. I interviewed The Dalai Lama in 2008, living out a 20 year journalistic dream.
8. My first pets were goldfish and turtles. My most recent were a Schnauzer-Terrier named Merlin and an Abyssinian named Amira. Both crossed the Rainbow Bridge a few years ago.
9. I have read Stranger In A Strange Land at least 30 times.
10. I have seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show more than 40 times.
11. I won second prize in a Rocky Horror Picture show contest in college, dressing up as the character Magenta, complete with bodice and fishnet stockings.
12. I swam a few marathons for charity in my teens.
13. I marched for the ERA (for those too young to know….Equal Rights Ammendment) and always thought it was silly that it was defeated based on the idea that it would mean co-ed bathrooms rather than equal pay for equal work.
14. I met Philly area celebrities Gene London (was in the audience on his show) and Sally Star (and had my picture taken sitting on her horse) when I was a child.
15. I was in a hula hoop contest around 12 or 13 and kept it going non-stop for 3 hours.
16. Chocolate is my drug of choice.
17. I played the wicked step mother in a 5th grade version of Cinderella.
18. I played a ‘Mission Doll’ in Willingboro High’s version of Guys and Dolls and I really wanted to be a ‘Hotbox Dancer’. Is that telling or what? Always the ‘good girl’ who wanted to be a little wilder:)
19. I took 3 years of Latin in high school so I could become a better writer. Maybe it helped:)
20. I used a computer for the first time in grad school. Pre-k kids use them now.
21. I facilitate a workshop called Cuddle Party where people attend wearing p.j.’s
22. Mint chocolate chip is my favorite flavor of ice cream.
23. I received a white plume feather from a member of a New Year’s Day Mummer’s Parade string band when I was clowning at an event for Gilda’s Club.
24. I am connected with 4400 people on facebook. I love networking and meeting kindred spirits.
25. Love is my religion.
See if you can enjoy creating your list…let us know what some are:)
For those who are thinking…”What the heck is the Mummer’s Parade?” it is a Philadelphia New Year’s Day tradition. Check out this sampler video: http://youtu.be/g18sY5t_Syk