Happy Autumnal Equinox!
Today there will be equal hours of daylight and nighttime, so one of the things the Equinox is about is balance. This could be a good day to reflect upon the theme of balance in your life. Consider asking yourself these questions:
- Is there a balance between your inner energies (yin) and your outer energies (yang)?
- Do you allow ample time for rest, sleep, dreaming, meditating, and other “inner” work?
- Do you spend most of your time doing, going, running, accomplishing? Or do you allow time for being still, being quiet, being reflective?
- Do you spend most of your time with other people? Do you allow yourself time to be alone?
- In the fall and winter do you allow your body to follow its natural inclination for more sleep? Or do you still stay awake late into the night using artificial light to see what you’re doing?
- Do you honor your female energies as much as your male energies?
- Do you know how to be receptive? Can you practice receiving as well as giving?
- When was the last time you simply sat still without doing anything? Are you capable of sitting and simply breathing?
- When was the last time you sat and watched the sun rise or set? When was the last time you watched the moon rise? When was the last time you sat by the edge of a lake or stream or ocean and simply appreciated the beauty of the world around you?
- Have you ever sat in a chair outside and watched the leaves fall? When was the last time you laid in a hammock?
- When was the last time you took a walk through fallen leaves? Remember how fun it is to kick up the leaves and listen to the scrinchy scrunchy crackly sound? Remember how it smells so earthy?
- Do you spend as much time outside as inside? Or are you holed up in a building all day and night?
- Are you a couch potato? Do you zone out watching TV a lot? Have you considered zoning out without the crutch of TV?
- If you are a daydreamer, have you taken steps to make some of your favorite dreams a reality?
- Are you as nice to yourself as you are to others? Are you as nice to others as you are to yourself?
- At the beginning of the day, do you pause to remember your dreams? Give thanks? Or do you charge into your day at full tilt?
- At the end of the day, do you allow yourself to reflect back upon your day? Do you give thanks for your blessings? Or do you run around at full tilt all day and then collapse into bed at the end of the night?
- Do you like the work that you do? Do you like your job? Is it a good way to spend 20, 40, 60 hours a week? Do you have enough time to do the things that are important to you?
- Do you allow yourself time for simple pleasures? A hot bath? Sitting by a fire? Playing games with your family? Naps?
- Are you happy? Are you well? If not, what could you do to bring more balance and soul-satisfaction into your life?
How did you do? Do you feel like you live a pretty balanced life? If not, I invite you not to judge yourself if you feel you are falling short in some way. Instead, gently try to make some adjustments in your life so that you feel happier and more balanced.
Have a most happy and delicious Fall!