The Bible and Culture

The Bible and Culture

Billy Graham at Christmas

posted by Ben Witherington

My parents still live in Charlotte, home of Billy Graham, as well as my family, and they sent me this wonderful story which so epitomizes this wonderful soldier of Christ. I thought I would share it.

————————-
Billy Graham is 86 years old with Parkinson’s disease.

In January 2000, leaders in Charlotte, North Carolina, invited their favorite son,
Billy Graham, to a luncheon in his honor.

Billy initially hesitated to accept the invitation because he struggles with
Parkinson’s disease. But the Charlotte leaders said, “We don’t
expect a major address. Just come and let us honor you.”

So he agreed.

After wonderful things were said about him, Dr. Graham stepped to
the rostrum, looked at the crowd, and said, “I’m reminded today of
Albert Einstein, the great physicist who this month has been honored
by Time magazine as the Man of the Century.
Einstein was once traveling from Princeton on a train
when the conductor came down the aisle, punching the tickets
of every passenger. When he came to Einstein,
Einstein reached in his vest pocket. He couldn’t find his
ticket, so he reached in his other pocket. It wasn’t there, so he
looked in his briefcase but couldn’t find it. Then he looked in the
seat by him. He couldn’t find it.

The conductor said, “Dr. Einstein, I know who you are. We all know
who you are. I’m sure you bought a ticket. Don’t worry about it.”

Einstein nodded appreciatively. The conductor continued down the
aisle punching tickets. As he was ready to move to the next car, he
turned around and saw the great physicist down on his hands and
knees looking under his seat for his ticket.

The conductor rushed back and said, “Dr. Einstein, Dr. Einstein,
don’t worry, I know who you are. No problem. You don’t need a
ticket. I’m sure you bought one.”

Einstein looked at him and said,
“Young man, I too, know who I am. What I don’t know is where I’m going.'”

Having said that Billy Graham continued, “See the suit I’m wearing?

It’s a brand new suit. My wife, my children, and my grandchildren
are telling me I’ve gotten a little slovenly in my old age. I used
to be a bit more fastidious. So I went out and bought a new suit
for this luncheon and one more occasion.

You know what that occasion is? This is the suit in which I’ll be
buried. But when you hear I’m dead, I don’t want you to immediately
remember the suit I’m wearing.. I want you to remember this:

I not only know who I am, … I also know where I’m going.”

Amen to that

Zane

posted December 8, 2005 at 8:55 am

Ben, are you the author of a fine book on the role of women in the early church? I checked your blog profile with hopes of confirming that.Would love to correspond. Jesus blessings to you from another former North Carolinian,Zane AndersonHouse Church Network

Ben Witherington

posted December 8, 2005 at 10:15 am

Hi Zane: Yep that would be me. In fact I did three books on Women in the NT. And may your N.C. barbecue be obtainable where you are. Check my book page.Christmas blessings,Ben

Isaac

posted December 9, 2005 at 8:30 am

Dr. Witherington- I enjoyed your post on Billy Graham, but I always wince at martial language, such as “soldier of Christ”. I know that this language is a part of our way of expressing our faith, but I hope that we can move past metaphors of warfare (which actually might relate to your Lennon post, as well), and move on to more positive expressions. Language of struggle or suffering seems to be closer to the spirit of the gospel. Would love to read a post on this, if you feel strongly one way or the other. isaac

Anand Paleja

posted December 9, 2005 at 2:22 pm

Issac,The Bible actually makes similar analogies…See 2 Timothy 2:3-4 and Ephesians 6:10-18

Isaac

posted December 9, 2005 at 5:38 pm

I’m aware of the passages. Metaphors are not perfect and what might be useful in one setting can be detrimental in another. It’s my opinion that martial metaphors (warfare, soldiers, weapons, armor)create an unhelpful tension that positions the promotion of peace against what sounds like a religion that is very involved in violence. Terms like ‘prayer warriors’, as well as many other phrases associated with ‘spiritual warfare’ can be, I believe, expressed just as meaningfully in terms of suffering and struggle while not causing this tension. There is no need to make metaphors sacred (in fact, martial language can, and has,lead to the acceptance of violence, “becuase it’s in the Bible”), and if new metaphors are more useful, I think it’s wise to use them. Dr. Witherington used the metaphor from 2Tim, but I just feel that servant language is more appropriate in our present setting and more accurately describes Rev. Graham and his ministry.

Ben Witherington

posted December 10, 2005 at 7:41 am

I understand your concern, Isaac, which was reflected in Methodist mynal decisions about hymns like “Onward Christian Soldiers”

Anand Paleja

posted December 12, 2005 at 5:27 pm

Issac,I’m not saying that the metaphors are sacred; however, I am saying that the Bible is the infallible Word of God.

Christopher

posted December 14, 2005 at 12:06 pm

I recieved this link from a Professor friend of mine. That is a wonderful image of Billy Graham.Peace,Chris

John

posted December 22, 2005 at 10:20 pm

Ben, this is a brilliant story, and Billy is a brilliant man, and a fine soldier of Christ. Be blessed for sharing this.Be encouraged!GBYAY

Mel Cartera

posted December 31, 2007 at 12:18 am

Beautiful story. My favorite quotation from the Rev. Billy is “Some day you’ll hear the news that I have died. Don’t you believe it. I’ve only changed address.”May I ask your permission to reproduce this story in my blog? Thanks very much, and God bless you!

The John Wesley Fellows Meeting at Candler---- The Senior Fellows
The John Wesley Fellowship began in 1977, with Steve Harper and yours truly being two of the first John Wesley Fellows chosen.  I have told the story of Ed Robb and AFTE  this past Fall on the blog so I will not repeat it.   Here are some of the senior fellows attending the meeting.

posted 5:46:30am Jan. 11, 2011 | read full post »

Guns and Religion--- Enough is Quite Enough
I was sitting at the traffic light when a pickup pulled up next to me.  On the back of the cab window was a bumper sticker saying 'Guns and religion. Now more than ever.'   Then I found the picture you see above, and then this one below......   My response to this nonsense above

posted 7:05:08pm Jan. 10, 2011 | read full post »

Revival 2011--- At My Home Church in Charlotte

posted 9:58:02am Jan. 10, 2011 | read full post »

The John Wesley Fellows Meeting at Candler---- The Art of Theology
The John Wesley Fellows meeting this January was held in Atlanta at Candler School of Theology, and its Dean,  Dean Love is a collector of art for the seminary, with some 50 or so paintings now gracing the walls of their beautiful new seminary building.  The art of choice comes from a West

posted 5:30:50am Jan. 10, 2011 | read full post »

Ancient Readers and Manuscripts--- William A. Johnson's Take
  In the American world of bigger is better (and more erudite) it is refreshing to find a smallish book  (207 pages of text, including some pictures)  that makes its points in detail with full primary source documentation and then resists the tendency to be verbose or erudite for all

posted 9:30:59am Jan. 07, 2011 | read full post »