Beyond Gorgeous

Beyond Gorgeous

The Worst Sweeteners — Summing it Up

posted by sbrown

There are a lot of sugars out there!  This series has brought lots of questions, comments, and not a little discussion and disagreement.  Several people asked me to do a summing up of what I found.  Let me stress that the judgements here are mine.  I found lots of contradictory info on every single product.  I weighed all the factors: the validity of the Web sites, the clinical studies, and scientific data available as well as the anecdotal evidence.  Still — I could be wrong. I encourage you to look at the factors and decide for yourself.

Here, in my opinion, are the worst of the worst.  I personally would not use any of these!

5.  Agave nectar — 15 to 30 calories per teaspoon.  High in fructose which is metabolized in the liver and goes straight to fat production.  Glycemic index: 30

4.  Table sugar — 16 calories per teaspoon.  Inexpensive at about $.50 a pound. No health benefits. Causes tooth decay and is a major factor in obesity.  Glycemic index: 65

3.  Sucralose (Splenda) Zero calories. Artificial and linked with chlorine — a pesticide.  Glycemic index: 80.

2. Aspartame — Zero calories. Inexpensive and widely available.  It is artificial and toxic and has an aftertaste. Glycemic index: 0
1.(Worst of the worst)  High fructose corn syrup — 16 calories per teaspoon, is inexpensive and is in most processed foods.  No health benefits and numerous studies show that it is a major factor in the obesity epidemic. It also causes high triglyceride levels and liver damage. Glycemic index: 87

Eating to live and living for Christ,

Susan Jordan Brown

Jerry Stehle

posted October 4, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Sweeteners should be used with precaution or we should not rely always to them especially refined sugar. If I cannot resist to have a sweet food or drink, I will only use a small amount of it. Is honey way better than agave nectar?

sbrown

posted July 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Yes, Nathaly, Stevia is my sweetener of choice. It has no negative effects that I can find. It also has no calories and doesn’t have an effect on blood sugar.

Nathaly

posted July 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Do you have an opinion about Stevia? I now it is good for my belly but what about my health? Is it safe to use?

sbrown

posted April 29, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Sandy, keep reading! I also posted the best of sweeteners and, in another blog I listed them in the order I personally ranked them. In short, yes, there are many that are good alternatives. I personally use Stevia for sweetening drinks and Trehalose or xylitol for baking.

Sandy

posted April 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm

So what do you suggest in sugars, I saw all the bad, are there any good?

sbrown

posted April 21, 2012 at 8:24 am

Tammy, if you add vitamins and fiber to insecticide, it’s still not going to be good for you! You have to decide what works for you — but I would pick up some Stevia, or one of the other alternates, instead and check into a good supplement for my vitamins and fiber.

sbrown

posted April 21, 2012 at 8:21 am

Jacqueline, Stevia is my #1 pick, too — and affordability is a factor I considered. There are others that are healthier, but considerably more expensive. Counting sugar grams is a great idea! Keep me posted on how it works for you.

sbrown

posted April 21, 2012 at 8:19 am

J.C., I could be wrong, because I found totally contradictory information for every single sweetener I studied. However, I decided on a thumb’s down for agave nectar because it has more fructose than high fructose corn syrup. The studies indicate that it is metabolized in the liver and turns straight to fat before it can hit the bloodstream. That’s why it has a lower index number. However, everyone has to make their own judgements and do what is best for them. Thanks for your comment!

tammy

posted April 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm

i use spenda i like it because you can get the ones with fiber or vit b12 or other good stuff in it soo now what stop buying spenda ?

JC

posted April 20, 2012 at 10:25 am

I think you are totally wrong about agave nectar:

Agave nectar’s glycemic index and glycemic load are comparable to fructose, which in turn has a much lower glycemic index and glycemic load than table sugar.

Jacqueline

posted April 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

My personal best choice happens to be Stevia. A box of 200 packets can be purchased at Sam’s for about $9. I carry it everywhere I go. When I eat out (fast or sit-down), I order unsweetened tea and add about 2 packets for a delicious taste. On antoher note: recently, I started counting sugar grams. I am limiting myself to 10 grams per day. I’ve lost a few inches, and I only started a week ago. My students commented on my weight loss today! The Lord gave me this plan, nad I will continue it until I’m down to a healthy weight.

sbrown

posted April 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’m glad you checked out my blog! Keep reading — I addressed the best in a later blog and ranked them in still another. Stevia came out as my #1 choice for healthy, zero glycemic, zero calories, and inexpensive. I didn’t do the research on turbinado, so I don’t know about that one. I’m discovering several that I’ve missed as people write in to ask me about their favorites! Maybe I’ll have to do another series later. Thanks for reading and commenting.

sbrown

posted April 20, 2012 at 9:19 am

It is primarily saccharine, which is a known carcinogen. There are lots of other, better choices!

sbrown

posted April 20, 2012 at 9:15 am

You can check out my personal rankings on a later blog than the one you read. I personally choose Stevia for sweetening drinks and either coconut sugar or trehalose for baking.

Patty

posted April 20, 2012 at 9:07 am

Hi,
So in your opinion what is your healthest choice of sweetners on the market today?

Jacqueline

posted April 20, 2012 at 9:07 am

What about Sweet N’ Low?

Bob Dampier

posted April 20, 2012 at 8:54 am

What about the better choices, I see Stevia wasn’t mentioned. How about turbinado, vs white. Any thoughts on your suggested sweetners.

baldmurph

posted April 20, 2012 at 4:59 am

I am happy to see none of my favorites made that list. I personally use raw sugar (I grew up next to the mill on a sugar plantation and occasionally performed quality control checks on the scorched stalks sticking out of the rail cars waiting to be fed into the washers), molasses, and honey to sweeten my morning coffee. I might be able to do better, but by this time I’d bet something else will kill me before any of these.

Recipe Day -- Good-For-You Chocolate Cake
I looked at the recipe in disbelief.  NINE eggs? Surely that was a misprint.  Only 3/4 cup flour in a cake?  Not likely.  As I studied about coconut flour, though, I saw that, yes, it does take that many eggs to make a successful cake with this healthy type of flour, and it takes a much smaller

posted 3:06:20am Mar. 29, 2013 | read full post »

Climbing Into Jesus' Wheelbarrow
Once there was a famous tight-rope walker.  He stood before a huge crowd by Niagara Falls, preparing to do his most daring feat. “How many of you believe that I can walk across Niagara Falls on this tightrope?” he asked the people gathered there. “We believe you can do it!” they shout

posted 3:23:14am Mar. 28, 2013 | read full post »

How Do You Know When to Stop Eating?
“We asked 150 Parisians how they knew they were through with dinner,” food psychologist Brian Wansink, PhD, said.  “They said, ‘When we’re full.’  When we asked 150 Chicagoans that they said, ‘When the plate is empty.’” * No wonder 2/3 of American adults are overweight and hal

posted 3:54:25am Mar. 27, 2013 | read full post »

Making Plans to Succeed
H.A.L.T. -- Don’t get too hungry, too angry, too lonely, or too tired.  But how do you do that?  How do you avoid getting in a dangerously tempting position? It takes planning.  Start planning before you even head to the grocery store.  Look over the Green-for-Go low glycemic lists. Click h

posted 3:41:47am Mar. 26, 2013 | read full post »

No More "If Onlys"
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.- Carl Bard If only -- If only.  How the “if onlies” plague us! “If I had only kept up that healthy eating and exercise plan I started five years ago I would look terrific now.”

posted 2:36:33am Mar. 25, 2013 | read full post »