Beyond Gorgeous

Beyond Gorgeous

What Does God Look Like to You?

posted by sbrown

What is God really like?  He isn’t what we make Him, or decide He should be.  He is.  What does He look like to you?

Is he a kindly grandfather in the sky?  A Santa Claus – type, watching out to see who has been naughty and nice so He will know who should get the best goodies?  Perhaps the most well known picture is that of a helpless God, knocking and pleading for entrance into your heart’s door.

That’s an appealing picture, because it makes you bigger than God.  If He is standing outside and begging helplessly for you to notice him, that means you are really the one in charge — not God.  And that’s a pretty good definition of sin.  Satan fell from heaven, because he wanted to be “like God.” (Is.14:12-14) He tempted Eve to eat the fruit because then she would be “like God.”  (Gen. 3:5)

And if you think you are the one holding the strings to your life and that you have God on hold,  you are making the same mistake.  You are not the God.

I challenge you to look in the Bible for a glimpse of a bigger God. Don’t gloss over the parts of the Bible that don’t fit your picture of God, but look in the Scripture to find Him.  He paints the picture for us.

And it’s a beautiful picture!  We see a perfect, holy God who can’t bear the stench of sin.  He is so clean and right and wonderful that soiled and filthy people can’t come near him.  (Psalm 5:4-5)

We see that God looks at a spoiled world, a ruined people.  All of us are like stupid sheep who insist on going the wrong way, hopelessly willful and selfish. (Isaiah 53:6)

And we see love that endured hell itself to bring forgiveness.

When we think about the horrible things Christ endured in his last days on earth — the betrayals, the beatings, the horrible painful death — we catch just a glimpse of His love for His people.  But the horrible pain wasn’t the worst part.  There on the cross, Jesus became sin for us. (Romans 5:8 and II Cor. 5:21)

Have you ever felt guilty? Ashamed?  Think of what it was like for Christ to take the guilt and shame for all His people.  Sin separates from God, and there on the cross the Father turned His back on his own Son. (Matt. 27:46) Jesus hung there in agony, burdened with the guilt of the sins of those He came to save — dying alone.

That’s the worst of hell. It’s a place where there is no God, made for those who say, “No God for me!” (Ps. 14:1)

Jesus overcame hell and death and rose from the dead. And He isn’t spending his time now begging for people to notice Him. He’s calling his own to himself. (John 6:37-40) No one comes to God because he is smarter than others or more spiritual. He comes because God calls him. (John 6:44-45) Those of us who are saved were dead people, called to life by Christ. (Eph. 2:1)

We have forgiveness, not because we prayed a prayer or did good works, but because we believe that Jesus did it for us.  We trust Him and surrender in obedience to Him. (Acts 13:38-39)

If you have a desire for God, it comes from Him.  If you want Him, it’s because He wants you and is calling you.  He is a good God — and He is the one who can give you true peace and joy.  (John 6:35, 37)  I know that for sure, because He has done it for me!

Don’t take my word for it, but check these things out in the Bible. And let me know if you have questions or if I can help you in any way.

Eating to live and living for Christ,
Susan Jordan Brown

Pingback: A God of Yes - Beyond Gorgeous

KirtiJ

posted August 5, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Susan,

I know how you feel. I know how we all feel about non-believers also. Many of us become non-believers when we clearly do not agree with the message of God due to our lack of understanding the messages of our true God. Does that make us non-believers? One may think that I am a non-believer due to their perceptions of what they think I should believe in and what I should not believe in. I am a believer that those believers are also non-believers because they don’t see the message of God. This goes the same for you. In my opinion this suggests that you do not believe in me and that makes you a non-believer in a way. Don’t you think so. Do some research and discover the true God. You might want to start by going to the dictionary and start looking up the meaning of the word God. You will find something there that will be eye opening. As far as my poem goes, it has definitely given a better understanding to many about themselves and they have come to a realization of the self. When one does not awaken their conscience, they are still in darkness and someday, I am hopeful and optimistic that they will enlighten thru another messenger of God, if not thru me.

KirtiJ

posted July 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Kirty, I might talk myself into believing I had a million dollars in the bank. However, if I wrote a check for $900,000 I would soon find out that it doesn’t matter what I believe. If it isn’t really there, I can’t spend it! I might talk myself into believing I’m a god, but, because I’m not, but just a fallible person, that belief won’t do me any good now. It certainly won’t help when I stand before the One True God in eternity! You will stand before Him, too, one day. I urge you to seek Him while you can. Thanks for writing, and for your poem. I appreciate your talent — but just can’t agree with the message behind it.

KirtiJ

posted July 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Hi Susan,
You write, “If we were just making up a god, I could easily go along with yours. But my point was that we don’t make Him up. He is. And He is good! I hope you won’t be distracted by people, who will always let you down in the end — even the best of them — but will look for the true and living God. You can see Him in the Bible, and you can see Him in His creation. Being a Christian is about surrendering to Him and following Him, and getting to know Him better each day. The more I learn of Him, the more I am amazed by Him, and the more I love Him.”

Susan, I am not making up a God. I am awakening the conscience of those who make up a spiritual God. The awakening takes place when one realizes the truth, that God is non other than oneself. In God we Trust, simply put, we cannot trust others as much as we can trust ourselves first. When one says there is no other God, that simply means their is no one else like ourselves, because we cannot be replaceable since there is only one of us. When you say, “He is and he is good”, simply means that those of us who are divine, are and that makes us good, and we are the true and living Gods. In fact I also believe we have good true and living Goddesses. I am let down by many because they don’t see this, naturally, that is why their consciences are not awakened, and have been led by blind prophecy causing them to remain lost and unsaved from the chaos of the world, since they are part of the chaos creater themselves. I see him not only in the Bible, but I see him in all scriptures of the world that understands these scriptures righteously. I do not discriminate against the wide cultural scriptures of our world. I believe in all scriptures, but I pursue the one that is the Law of the land I live in as number one, because, if I follow that law I am saved from the Hell (Jail or Wrath of the ordinance of my community). When I stand in front of a Supreme Being, I fear not and can place my hand on any scripture made by man and say, “I shall speak the truth and nothing but the truth”, and will never have my conscience fail me under oath as guilty. God wants to know the truth, lies will create hell for one, and that is not good. That God is not Good, and therefore he would be a devil, which I am not. The more I learn about me as being a Godly character, the more amazed I become, I see myself more and more as Divine, or the Absolute (Brahma).

I wrote a poem I want to share with you. I named it “A Spiritual Poem for the Self”. This is how it goes:

There was a Day, a very Special Day,
When the Soul Awoke and Came into Play,
Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye,
The Great Soul said to Me,
You are My Life, My Pride, and My Joy,
You are the Power, the Author, the Conscience my Boy,
Without You, there is no Other,
Bring Peace, bring Love, not War nor Bother,
You are the God within my Body, the Temple,
The Guide, the Father, the Lord of the Jungle,
Follow Me and take Me to the Alter,
And Pray till You never Falter,
This my Soul, will Keep You, my Son,
In Heaven, place to Worship and always to Return.

I hope you understand it and you like it.

God Bless!

KirtiJ

posted July 18, 2012 at 7:46 am

I can tell from your reply that you have done a lot of thinking about this, Kirti. I appreciate that you took time to write out your opinion. If we were just making up a god, I could easily go along with yours. But my point was that we don’t make Him up. He is. And He is good! I hope you won’t be distracted by people, who will always let you down in the end — even the best of them — but will look for the true and living God. You can see Him in the Bible, and you can see Him in His creation. Being a Christian is about surrendering to Him and following Him, and getting to know Him better each day. The more I learn of Him, the more I am amazed by Him, and the more I love Him.

Kirti J

posted July 17, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Hi CarolJ,

I liked your thought, “A prayer is a wish – when I hear of someone ill, injured, going through a difficult time in their life, I keep them in my thoughts and that works for me. It may not for the next person. As for preparing for an after death life, I have had heaven and hell right here and do not have any reason to prepare for something I cannot accept and have no proof. No, the Bible does not convince me. Religions have caused many a war and horrible things to people. Is that really God?”

I agree with this but with a slight twist. e.g. When I pray to God for someone’s well being, etc….I basically am praying to Myself(Him) to help me discover a solution to achieve my goals of helping any which way possible to help that person. And hence a prayer to God.

Also, I agree with you about your thought on life after death, but on a more realistic view….that death is when someone (A Defendant) stands in front of a Supreme Court Judge for a violation of a crime of any level, he or she already is judged or perceived as problematic and is already a dead person until he or she can prove themselves not guilty. When you create Hell right here, you are subject to necessary reaction due to your action. When you prove yourself innocent, you have risen, as Jesus rose on the 3rd Day. When in court, it may take several days for one to rise (Win the court case, a Glory of God), or loose a court case (the Wrath of God). If you loose, your worst wrath of God (the Judge on Judgement Day), could be a death sentence ( such as being hung on a Cross in the old days, or electric chair in these modern days).

Therefore, we all must be reborn into Christians, Krishnans, Mohammedians, or a simple way to see it…Good Citizens of our community so that we can create a Heaven right here on Earth as it is thought to be in the spiritual Heaven in our Galaxy or Cosmos.

I totally agree that none of the Holy Scriptures convinces me either, including the Bible, because they are only culture oriented and confused as religious belief systems. Religion can be anything you practice. If you practice the Law of the Land, you are religious about it and you have then become a Believer of that Law. Are you now a Believer of God (the Maker and Creator of the Law of the Land?). And if you religiously practice in believing and following the Law of the Land you reside in, you are automatically saved from committing sins of God’s Laws. You are in Heaven. It is best to distance yourself from those who create Hell in your Heaven, however, tactfully would be the appropriate way.

Yes you are right, religions have caused war because blind leaders have had blind followers and that ignorance of understanding the scriptures the way it is supposed to be, is the number one cause for War and Hell in the beautiful Heaven we live in. I consider death as Hell and life as Heaven. Which one would you rather have?

God is a Divine person and a Divine person is Godly, and that’s really what God is. Lucifer is an example of a Satanic person and so on and on and on….

Kirti J

posted April 20, 2012 at 9:38 am

Thanks for commenting, Carol. Of course, as you can tell from reading my blog, we have different views. If God were just an idea or a concept, it wouldn’t matter in the least whether anyone agreed with me or not. Your idea would certainly be as good as mine! But God is more than an idea or even a power. He is the real and living God. And I agree — He is certainly NOT an elderly man in the sky waiting to listen to prayers 24/7. But He is the God, the maker of the universe, and He does hear and answer the prayers of His children. When I pray, I am asking the One who can actually accomplish something to intervene. It’s much more than a wish — and He has answered so many times in miraculous ways! I didn’t make God up, but met Him as I read about Him in the Bible. I encourage you to look for Him there, too. And thanks so much for taking time to comment. I love to hear from my readers!

carolj

posted April 20, 2012 at 4:39 am

My concept of God has come from my own searching and is something that I can believe is the truth for me. I do not force my belief on any other person. To me, God is a power – not an image of an elderly man who listens to prayers 24/7. It is also OK to not believe in a God – I have found that atheists are among the most loving, kind and thoughtful people in my life. Is is because they have to answer to themselves, not a deity? I feel it is unfortunate and perhaps somewhat ignorant to have prayers go out to a God for political races, sports events and getting a job. A prayer is a wish – when I hear of someone ill, injured, going through a difficult time in their life, I keep them in my thoughts and that works for me. It may not for the next person. As for preparing for an after death life, I have had heaven and hell right here and do not have any reason to prepare for something I cannot accept and have no proof. No, the Bible does not convince me. Religions have caused many a war and horrible things to people. Is that really God?

KirtiJ

posted April 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Hi Susan,
I appreciate You! Your interaction on this shows your open mindedness also. I know you disagree with me on my thought and therefore the saying we have to learn to ‘Agree to Disagree’. However, when you say: I believe that the Bible isn’t put together by scriptwriters, but by a God so powerful it is no problem at all for Him to give us and preserve us a manual that introduces us to Him and gives us the principles we need to live happy, productive lives.

Can you tell me who this God is that is so powerful and where did he come from and write these scripts if the authors of scriptures were not the script-writers of scriptures?

I know I can give my thought on who this powerful God might be who was the inspiration to have the scriptures written for the human race to follow and abide by so that we can live happy, productive lives. In my opinion, it was a King who ordained an intelligent philosopher, a person who was capable of prophesying, such as Jesus, Krishna, Mohammed, etc., to write these inspirational scripts in the Old Testament, for law. My belief is that the Old Testament was designed for Ceremonial and Moral Laws, while the New Testament was an addition to include Judicial Law. These Ceremonial and Moral laws, I believe were the initiation taken to prevent chaos within the different cults or cultures of different parts of the communities of the lands they resided in. These original Laws were to inspire the human race the main objectives of Moral behaviors through the Ten Commandments. Old fashion people seem to follow or want to follow such Old Testaments, while the modern society wants loop holes and hence the New Testaments. I may be wrong in my thought, but that’s just my thought and opinion, why the King ordained such scriptures through wise men of their time. It makes sense to me that it was necessary to prevent the world from doing outlaw deeds and would have to be outcasted if they did not follow these bylaws of the different parts of their land of residence. Therefore, I conclude with the thought that to reach salvation and have eternal peace, one has to follow the scriptures for their benefit and it doesn’t matter how ‘One Skins A Cat’, as long as the end result is Peace on Earth in the manner of the land one lives in. Like the saying goes, ‘When in Rome, do as the Romans’, and therefore to be a good citizen, we must follow the laws of the society we live in. Following a particular Religion is merely following a belief system of a particular culture and having faith in it. But believing the Law of the Land is to become religious about understanding bylaws necessary to be a non-violating character of the part of land one resides in. Most all scriptures teach us the basic rule of law, and that is to have Good Morals to have good character. Some people just don’t see that and therefore they are in violation of our peace and happiness and their bad characteristics cause them to be reborn through Rehabilitation Facilities and Law Enforcement Correctional Institutes so that they can be forgiven for their sins/ or wrong deeds through repentance and realization and then comes their Awakening.

Kirti

posted April 8, 2012 at 9:45 am

Certainly we all have our own opinions and have a right to express them. I’m always happy to get comments from my readers, whether I agree or not. You probably can guess that I don’t agree with you. I believe that the Bible isn’t put together by scriptwriters, but by a God so powerful it is no problem at all for Him to give us and preserve us a manual that introduces us to Him and gives us the principles we need to live happy, productive lives. I’ve been through the doubts about Biblical accuracy and the meanings in Genesis and come out the other side to faith, so I always respect those who are thinking and searching. There are many reasons I came to belief and to surrender, but that would take a very long blog comment to explain! Could I recommend a book to you — since you are obviously open-minded and thinking? Lee Strobel wrote a great book “The Case for Christ.” I think you will enjoy it and it will give you more food for thought. Let me know what you think about it. I have to say this: On many things a diversity of opinions does not matter. On matters of taste, preferences, even politics – we all should respectfully say, “Well, I don’t agree — but that’s just my opinion.” With God it does, indeed, matter. One day we will all meet Him, and it will make all the difference in eternity whether we get it right or not! Thanks again for reading and for taking time to comment.

KirtiJ

posted April 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Susan,
By the way, you stated: It’s in our nature, and has been since Eve listened to Satan when he said, “If you eat this, you will be like God.” The name of God is “I Am.” And He is. He isn’t an idea, and He isn’t you. I encourage you to get to know Him. You can meet Him in the Bible.

When you mentioned Satan telling Eve to eat this and you will be like God….In my opinion, Adam was an evil man who attempted to take advantage of a young girl who was ‘Ignorant’ to understand the difference and therefore was convinced by the evil characteristics of Adam the Satan. Not only that, but I also feel that Eve was a person of not good character who lead Adam into temptation in the garden which most likely was a common place for young lovers. With that as food for thought, I believe the saying from the scriptures ‘Lead us not into Temptation’ came about.

As far as you claims of me not being God, that is your opinion. We all have opinions and therefore, in God I Trust, I don’t trust anyone on this Earth until I first know them well enough to know their Divine Qualities. Till then there is only one God that I trust and have faith in, and that’s me. Is there anyone else you can trust just like that other than yourself? Because if you say there is, bring ‘Him’ to my home and let me evaluate ‘Him’. With bi-polar and dual characteristics on this earth, we have all learned not to trust anyone, because they are likely to be the destroyers (Satans) of our peace and happiness in this Heavenly Earth.

I kind of agree with the post from MMCrowson whose friend who is 66 stating that he feels that he sees discrepancies in the scriptures. I see many discrepancies in many scriptures and therefore I see my conscience (the Holy Spirit of Trinity or the 3rd Eye of Vishnu) enlightened (Awakened/The Awakening) and have ‘Found the Truth’ that is not revealed to us from the scriptures. You might also want to consider reading Martin Luther’s views on this also.

Kirti

KirtiJ

posted April 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Susan,
Most books we read are written by people, authors who are excellent script writers. These script writers write scriptures in all religious scriptures. One thing I have dovetailed out of these scripts is that we have to find the myths and the truths from them. Adam to me was Adamant and disobedient and caused Eve (to me was a name created by an author) to violate a Rule of Moral Law of the community in a garden in Eden, Yemen. Most probably the violation took place in the Eve-ning and hence the name Eve. Besides trying to theorize this, my conclusion is that after this sinful act of violation of Man’s Law, all human beings were considered born in sin and were in some form or another required to follow God’s Law (A word for Man’s Law) through Spiritual Scriptures for uplifting the human race’s moral behaviors in society. God’s Law is non-other than the Ten-Commandments of the Old Testament. However, the human race does not agree with many of the old scripts and therefore new God’s Laws were created under the New Testament. As long as we follow these Laws, The Rule of Law, we are more than like saved from sin and God’s wrath. So Susan, I am on a page different from most people because I am more on a realistic plane rather than a spiritual plane. Spiritually I see God in many forms, shapes, and colors, however, realistically I see God as a creation of a Force of something beyond describable that brought upon us the whole Galaxy. This force did not write the scriptures, but man did. Which man can tells us what this Force looks like if all human beings are equal. So When I see God in a realistic plane, I see him to be White, Black, Brown, etc., and as a Doctor, a Lawyer, an author, an Artist, a King, a pheasant, etc., in different heights, sizes, and shape, and tones and languages, that makes him diverse enough to claim that all religions are equal. God never wanted us to discriminate and say that we would reach salvation only through one form of scripture. If he did say this, than that is discriminating the Law of Diversity, based under Race, Color, Ethnicity, and a Belief system of the faiths of the Nomadic Peoples of the Earth.

Kirti

posted April 7, 2012 at 7:52 am

Kirti — that is exactly the trouble we have as people. We want to be the god, the boss, the one in charge. It’s in our nature, and has been since Eve listened to Satan when he said, “If you eat this, you will be like God.” The name of God is “I Am.” And He is. He isn’t an idea, and He isn’t you. I encourage you to get to know Him. You can meet Him in the Bible. The book of John is a great place to start. And thank you for commenting! I’m always happy to hear from my readers.

Kirti J

posted April 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Hi Susan,

You ask who I think God is to me. My answer to you to this is food for thought. When I was a kid I thought Santa came from the sky on a reindeer and down the fireplace chimney and placed my gifts for me under the Christmas Tree. As I got older I learned that Santa was my Father. As I got older yet, I learned that God was my Father! He was my creator and he could have been my destroyer. I learned that his characteristics were Divine rather than Evil. From this, I learned that God was a Being, a Human Being just like Christ was a Being. Then I learned that I was an image of God. So I looked at myself in the mirror and came to realize that God is non-other than me if I am an Absolute Divine Character totally guilt free and creator of a Heavenly Environment. However, If I had any guilt within me, than I could not be an Absolute Divine Character, but would be a part Evil Character likely to commit sin and destroy the Heavenly Environment and create, with a ball of fire, an Environment that one would call Hell. With this thought in my mind, I consider all Human Beings with Divine Characteristics, Godly. And all Human Beings with Evil Characteristics, Devilish. This thought leads to a very important understanding of who God to me is. God is a Supreme Being. Of all the beings Godly (Divine) or Devilish (Evil), the most Supreme of all Beings is A Divine Character that Judges all rights and wrongs on Judgement Day in A Supreme Court. His Highness, The Lord alias the King who decides one’s wrath or glory, is above all Gods, and there is non-other before him, to decide whether someone creates Heaven on Earth or Hell on Earth. Once ‘HE’ decides who the sinners are through testimonials and depositions, ‘HE’ recommends whether the Beings are worthy of living their destined lives (‘SAVED’ – The Glory and Joy of remaining alive in a Heavenly and Peaceful Environment on Earth) or whether the Beings are worthy of receiving a sentence from minor (misdemeanor) to major (such as a Death Sentence), a Wrath for being a sinner and remaining ‘LOST’ and destined to be doomed to a place called ‘HELL or JAIL’ far away from the Earth or peace of land that is Moral, Just, Peaceful, and Heavenly. So to conclude this, as a theist (atheist), I believe God is non-other than You, My Neighbor, the People of Our Community, and Myself, who can be ‘FOUND’, ‘SAVED’, or remain ‘LOST’ in the darkness of the tunnel and can be ‘FOUND’ only by looking into the mirror and seeing the ‘Image of God’.

posted January 13, 2012 at 8:59 am

Thank you for the encouraging comment — and the prayers!

Andrew Imene

posted January 10, 2012 at 8:13 am

Thank you Susan, for this wonderful,inspired message, I pray God Almighty to fill you with fresh annointing daily In Jesus Name; Amen!

posted November 21, 2011 at 7:07 am

It’s beyond our grasp, isn’t it? Guess it will take all eternity to get a handle of who God really is. Thanks for commenting.

Steven

posted November 16, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Thanks Susan;

The magnitude of the love that God has for us is unimaginable. God is…

posted October 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

Thanks for the encouraging words! Readers like you keep me writing.

Pictures of jesus

posted October 22, 2011 at 11:11 pm

What a great post. Very inspiration. Much love to you

posted October 13, 2011 at 9:34 am

Yes, that’s true. I hope you got from my blog that I was really talking about what God is like. Of course, it’s true that Jesus shows that, too. Thanks for your comment!

julie

posted September 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Well when I see pictures of Jesus I remember from religion class Jesus said when you see me you see the father so I going with that he looks like our Jesus That is what God,Jesus’s Dad looks like, nothing else to say julie

posted September 15, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Well, in a sense. We are just the creations, though. He is the Creator. We are selfish and sinners — He is the Holy and Merciful God! Getting to know Him is what life – and eternity – is all about. John 17:3. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Eugenia

posted September 12, 2011 at 6:05 pm

If we are made in His image, it seems all we have to do is look at one another.

Your Name

posted September 12, 2011 at 6:04 pm

If we’re all made in His image, it seems that all we have to do is look at one another to see him.

posted August 31, 2011 at 12:27 pm

You are wise to put your relationship on hold until you are definitely settled on this very important issue. If you are a Christian, you belong to God — and you will want to follow His plan for you. It will be for your good, whether or not it includes this friend. My father was an agnostic and was polite, but not convinced by anything I had to say. My husband asked him if he would read one chapter of John each day and ask, “God, if you are really there, please show yourself to me.” He agreed — more to appease us than because he thought it would work, I’m sure. As he did that, God answered. He caught a glimpse of God and was saved. Would your friend agree to do this for you? As for other authors, Josh McDowell has some books about the truth of the Bible as does Lee Strobel. You might check into those — but ultimately, it is the power of God that will convince him. I’ll be praying. Keep me posted about the outcome!

posted August 30, 2011 at 10:14 am

It’s hard to make a comment since I don’t know the situation. Here’s the famous the little prayer that might help: Lord, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Is this something you have the ability to do something about? Then you need to take action. Are you a helpless bystander? Then you can take comfort from Romans 8:28: “And we know that ALL things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.” He is sovereign. That means He is in control. He can use even the mistakes and wrong-doings of others for your ultimate good. The story of Joseph in the Bible is a perfect example. His brothers sold him as a slave, his employer’s wife lied about him and got him thrown in prison, and the people who promised to speak up for him forgot all about him. Yet, every one of those things were things God used to bring about Joseph’s ultimate good and the salvation of God’s people. Perhaps though this situation seems hopelessly bad to you, God wants to show Himself strong in your attitude and actions — and reactions. Perhaps seeing you respond in quietness and faith will be the most powerful witness those you love will ever see. Look on this, not as a random bad thing someone did, but as a positive work of God for you. I’m praying that God will grant you that serenity, that peace, and that overcoming testimony. Keep me posted on how things are going.

MMCrowson

posted August 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Does anyway know of a good book (besides the Bible) I can give a guy I want to be committed to (and possibly marry) who claims to be agnostic. He is 66 & the oldest of 4 kids raised by a Baptist preacher (now deceased, his Mom still alive with Alheimer). He would like for us to be married. I am 62, been a Christian for 26 years, and single for over 10 years. He is a very good, hard-working, kind, loving, honest, rightteous man whose wife died of cancer years ago while 3 of his 5 children were still young & living at home. He thinks there are just too many discrepancies in the Bible to believe it came from “God”. C.S. Lewis, perhaps? Please advise as I have told him I do not see a future for us if he cannot become a “believer”.

sahmap

posted August 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I recently became “consumed” by a decision made by someone else that adversely affected my family and other families. I lost sleep, shed tears, was distracted, and ate over it.

I prayed, asked by Bible study group to pray, and journaled over it. What other steps would you suggest? Is there a Bible verse that would help?

Pingback: What’s In That Hole? - Beyond Gorgeous

Pingback: Better Than Brownies - Beyond Gorgeous

posted August 19, 2011 at 8:49 am

Yes, God is love — and those who don’t know anything about love, don’t know God. I’m afraid we aren’t going to get a very clear picture of Him if we look at ourselves, though. The picture is messed up by sin and selfishness. We can see Him in the perfect man, Jesus, who is God in human form. Reading the Gospels, in particular, give us a picture of Him, and the more we see Him the more we love Him!

posted August 19, 2011 at 8:42 am

Hmm. Sounds like you are saying “Cleanliness is next to Godliness.” It’s not the bodily dirt that separates us from God, but internal uncleanness — sin. He loved His people enough to not just create them, but to redeem them — to pay the penalty for sin so we can be forgiven. Much bigger deal than washing off a little dirt! Thanks for posting!

posted August 19, 2011 at 8:40 am

Yes, Jesus was the friend of sinners — which makes me happy because I’m in that crowd! It’s also a good reminder to us that God is in the business of changing people and no one is too “tough” for God.

albertsaidb@gmail.com

posted August 19, 2011 at 1:42 am

Thanks for your deep thoughts about God. They made me love him a bit more. However I would add that in spite of God being so pure, as man he made sinners his preferred friends, because they needed him most.

Abambagibus

posted August 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I think dirt gets a bad rap. For certain genera, dirt is a good thing, a clean thing. But, with a thickly ethnocentric veneer, our vainglorious genocentrism persuades to truly believe otherwise. How is it that God, who in his infinite love created all, created that to which he has aversion? It is only the people who are purified of all bodily dirtiness who can come nearest Him. Scilicet Ab Ambagibus.

MLK

posted August 18, 2011 at 6:42 am

She looks kindly, smiling, gentle, accepting and welcoming! I thank God that She is like that!

EJ

posted August 16, 2011 at 10:04 am

What does God look like? This is actually a very easy question to answer, God looks like you and me. God looks like Love, Goodness, and Peace. God does not just love us but is the essence of love. So I guess if you know what love looks like then you’ll know what God looks like. Since God is within every one of us then love must be inside everyone of us. Love is the opposite of fear therefore once we know what love looks like then we know what God looks like.

Pingback: Not Begging for Bread - Beyond Gorgeous

Pingback: A Soft Fall - Beyond Gorgeous

Pingback: Failed Intentions — Crumpled Prayers - Beyond Gorgeous

Pingback: Pick Up Your Weapon! - Beyond Gorgeous

Pingback: A God of “Yes” - Beyond Gorgeous

posted June 3, 2011 at 10:28 am

Thanks Janet, for being such an encouragement to me in my new venture! I appreciate the feedback so much.

Janet

posted June 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Thank you for being a faithful witness of the LORD JESUS….was very uplifting!!

Rachel

posted May 29, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Wonderful thoughts! I love the way you presented this!