Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

7 Favorite Prayers

posted by Beyond Blue

I’m publishing my seven favorite prayers today because, as I mentioned on Monday’s post, I’ve been more depressed lately than I have been in a long while. I guess that’s good for the blog, ultimately, because I can speak better to where many of you are. So I thought you might like these prayers too. And I’d like to know … what you are favorite prayers?

The Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next.
Amen.

Prayer by Thomas Merton

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this
you will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always
though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

The Third Step Prayer

God, I offer myself to Thee …
to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt.
Relieve me of the bondage of self,
that I may better do Thy will.
Take away my difficulties,
that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help
of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
May I do Thy will always!

The Memorare

Remember O Most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
implored your help,
or sought your intercession
was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence,
I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my mother.
To you I come;
before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in your mercy, hear and answer me.
Amen.

Prayer by John Henry Newman

Dear Jesus,
Help me to spread Your fragrance everywhere I go.
Flood my soul with Your spirit and life.
Penetrate and possess my whole being so utterly,
that my life may only be a radiance of Yours.
Shine through me, and be so in me
that every soul I come in contact with may feel Your presence in my soul.
Let them look up and see no longer me,
but only Jesus!
Stay with me and then I shall begin to shine as you shine,
so to shine as to be a light to others;
the light, O Jesus will be all from You;
none of it will be mine;
it will be you, shining on others through me.
Let me thus praise You the way You love best,
by shining on those around me.
Let me preach You without preaching,
not by words but by my example,
by the catching force of the sympathetic influence of what I do,
the evident fullness of the love my heart bears to You.
Amen.

St. Teresa of Avila’s “Bookmark”

Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing frighten you.
All things are passing.
God alone is changeless
He who has patience wants for nothing
He who has God has all things.
God alone suffices.

Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek?to be consoled as to console;?to be understood as to understand;?to be loved as to love.?For it is in giving that we receive;?it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;?and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

image courtesy of wikipedia

Click here to subscribe to Beyond Blue

Shari Langner

posted August 10, 2011 at 10:32 am

Thank you. And know that many of us are in the same depression boat – seasoned with anxiety, wrapped in fear some days…..I find your writing to often be a lift for me. Not that it’s your job, but just so you know…..

Shari Langner

posted August 10, 2011 at 10:33 am

Oh and one of my favorites:
Be Still and Know That I am God.
Be Still and Know That I am.
Be Still and Know.
Be Still.
Be.

JiLLB

posted August 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

I continue to be so sad that you’re suffering. I wish that I could take everyone’s hurt so that only one person would have the pain for all. Thank you so much for these prayers today. I’ve been having a hard time knowing what to say to God, what my prayers really ought to be. I get so caught up in other things and between concentration and distraction I’m more lost than usual. Thank you so very much for posting these today. I pray that we can all find the comfort that you are – even if it’s just that of a mustard seed.

Anne

posted August 10, 2011 at 11:17 am

Therese,
Hang in there girlfriend. You are such support to others – let yourself feel all the feelings. Are you still recovering after your appendix ruptured? Be good to yourself. Treat yourself like a best friend cuz you are.You have uplifted me so many times and I feel a connection with you. Thank you.

Elizabeth

posted August 10, 2011 at 11:40 am

Serenity Prayer is definitly for me. Thank you.

Andy Linde

posted August 10, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Hang in there, girl!
You are precious and your´re doing so much good for so many…including me! Another favorite of mine is the old rodeo hand Don Hemstrom, with his down to earth outlook on life and it’s challenges…

diane

posted August 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I remember reading this prayer when I was a teenager and it really hit home. I pray it often and it is comforting for me.

I am so sorry you are feeling more depressed as of late. My prayers are with you. You have been such an inspiration and source of strength for me, particularly this summer, when my panic disorder decided it was time to rear its’ ugly head once again. Your articles are so relevant and useful. I also love your sense of humor. My sense of humor, despite being a bit depraved, has helped me through many setbacks.

Please remember that you are loved, appreciated, and prayed for more than you know. God bless you!

Wildstar

posted August 10, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I am praying that God will break through your depression like the sun through dark clouds, lighting up your heart and letting you feel His love all around you. I pray that God reveals Himself in a special way to you today.

marymargaret

posted August 10, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Smile, Therese, so you may feel what I feel after reading your inspirational blogs.
hugs and light, mary

Debbie

posted August 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm

My immediate go-to prayer is:
“Almighty God, to whom our needs are known before we ask, help us to ask only what accords with Thy will.And, for those good things, which we dare not, or in our blindness cannot ask, grant us for the sake of Your Son, our saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”Book of Common Prayer

liti

posted August 10, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Therese,
It is so brave to admit you are in the struggle.So am I.We would like all of this to be in the past never to bug us again.Thats not how it works sometimes.Thankyou for your article as always.Thanks for the list of your favorite prayers,some of mine too.We will endure the struggle.
Thanks again,Liti

Paula

posted August 11, 2011 at 7:27 am

I sit hear crying as I feel the power of these prayers. I need them today. Thank you.

Mike

posted August 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

Therese:

You and I are on the same wavelength, again. Because I often, if not constantly, find myself in situations where I have to make choices and decisions amid uncertainty and anxiety, I pray for me, those situations and the people involved in those situations (even if I don’t particularly care for all of the people or the ways in which they sometimes behave). I pray that God will intervene in the situation and that He will allow me to bring His presence into the conflict. I pray that He will hold me together during the conflict, that I have the courage to meet the challenges that the conflict presents, and the patience, restraint, and good judgment to apply. I pray that God will protect and release me from anxiety.

When I pray I think too of the image of Ignatius of Loyola offering his sword to God; it helps to center my thoughts.

Thanks for all that you do and say. Your words resonate in many hearts and inspire throughts in many minds, all of which are with you.

Mike

Paul Moore

posted August 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

Dear THerese:

My favorite prayer of late is not really a prayer but an affirmation: “The most important thing is to keep my composure.” If I repeat that often enough it seems to keep me from the brink long enough to spot hope. And even though this affirmation does not directly address God, he gives it to me, I believe–yet another example of his selfless love, which is mirrored by you when you say that you suppose your struggles are seeds for your blogging. God Bless, and may you soon be talking more in the past tense regarding this current depression dip.

Joanne

posted August 11, 2011 at 8:03 am

One of my favorite prayers that I begin my day with:

Jesus, give me balance. Help me to determine what is essential from what is secondary. Give me the grace to embrace what is yours and to let go of what is mine.

AnneS

posted August 11, 2011 at 8:38 am

Very sorry to hear that you’re struggling. You provide such valuable support to others! Thank you for these prayers. It was so lovely to be reminded of the Merton prayer, and the Memorare brought me back to my Catholic School days! Hang in there! Be well.

Ana

posted August 11, 2011 at 9:48 am

To paraphrase St. Clare, when faced by invading Saracens: “Does it please you, O God, to deliver our sister, whom you have nourished with your love, from this depression? We beseech you, dear Lord, to protect her.”
By the way, Clare also said, “Don’t be afraid. Trust in Jesus.” The Saracens fled.

Material taken from AmericanCatholic.org 8.11.11

simeona

posted August 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

from the base of my being
with its red-orange lotus of fire
where my will to live and create burns,

I call out to the world.
I create my message and send it out
swirling in song,
to brush those it reaches and sing their notes
and return to me with new light.

I sing out to the earth and sky,
calling out like a flower
whose petals embrace the listeners
with beauty and tenderness.

Let each cell of my being
awake and be cleansed.
Let each cell shimmer with light.

May my infinite aqua pool of creativity
and inspiration be ever connected
to the universe.

May I be satisfied with myself and
my living everyday.

May I wake with the joy
in the possibility of each day.

May I recognize,cherish and defend
my wholeness and worth everyday.

Diana

posted August 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

Therese, Thanks as always for your honesty about where you are. I too have spent almost a month in ‘the desert’ this summer, feeling my own version of depression longer and more acutely than I can recall. It has felt like an emotional starvation; yet when I hear of the millions literally starving for food in Africa I think perhaps in my own way I am in sympathy with them, and it gives me some strength to thing I suffer with them. Know that you are certainly not alone in your suffering, and that your honesty and courage in facing it are your prayer. Blessings.

KimO.

posted August 11, 2011 at 11:00 am

Before I read your list, I thought of two that I would share, but you already had them – the Third Step and The Memorare prayers. I also say the Our Father including what the priest says in Mass after we pray it: Deliver us Lord from every evil and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy, keep us free from sin and PROTECT US FROM EVERY ANXIETY as we wait in hope for the coming of our savior, Jesus Christ. (emphasis mine, of course). As many have so eloquently stated, you are a true blessing, Therese. You articulate what so many feel and we empathize with what you are currently experiencing. I also appreciate other readers comments like today when JillB talks about being “between concentration and distraction.” Peace.

Razz2

posted August 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

(((Therese))) <- these are cyber hugs

I start nearly every day with your blog. And as much as I wish you were not in the emotional pain that you are in, it truly helps me, knowing that I am not alone in this challenge. What really struck me today is the fact that the "Serenity Prayer" is much more than what we use commonly. I never knew there was more beyond "the wisdom to know the difference"!!! It's a wonderful prayer and so much more meaningful in it's entirety – thank you for posting it!

I also love the prayer that was submitted by Shari Langner – Be Still and Know That I Am God. A new one for me. So simple and yet so powerful, so thank you Shari.

I will continue to keep you in my prayers and thoughts and may both of us start to see the rays of sunlight coming through the dark clouds.

Be good to you – Razz

veronica

posted August 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

I will pray for you each day. I am depressed and overwhelmed and discouraged so much lately and then I have to do what I have to do and tell no one that I want not to do what I have to do….know what I mean? Prayers are so wonderful, and yet somedays I cannot pray and other days I pray and pray. Let us not let ourselves give in and give up and let us all go forward and give life the push it needs and we the push we need…it is so hard some days, and then I find cannot cry and I wish I could. I ask the Lord for mercy for all of us who need strength, courage, belief and faith and to heal. God Bless.

Cheryl

posted August 11, 2011 at 11:41 am

St. Terese of Avila – beautiful prayer, very helpful to hold on to.

Sharon

posted August 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Thank you for the encouraging prayers. I have printed them out to read daily. I would have to say that my favorite “comfort” scripture is this one. I found it most encouraging as I grieved after the death of my beloved Mother and best friend.

Ecclesiastes 3.1:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

Lori

posted August 11, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Lots of love coming your way….you are so great!!!

Fergusita

posted August 11, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Thank you. I will say them for all of us. Ecclesiastes 3:1 referred to by Sharon will be my reminder, when in need as now, that “THIS, TOO, SHALL PASS.”

Irene

posted August 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Therese, I am very sorry to hear of your ongoing battle with depression. I too have been fighting this for 5 years. I’m glad I came to your blog tonight. Sometimes I feel so alone and you remind me that I am not. You pray for me and I’ll pray for you.

Mike Leach

posted August 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm

These prayers are beautiful and helpful, Therese. Thanks so much.

Susan

posted August 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Dear Therese — I understand that you had a health crisis — a ruptured appendix? Please remember that often such occurances are followed by a depressive episode. I had not realized the connection until i read about it in “Arthritis Today”. People with chronic conditions — like cyclothymia, depression, arthritis, etc. often experience a depression after a serious illness like the flu. Just keep that in mind — you will pass thrhough this valley. Just keep on ‘trucking’ and don’t think that this episode will last forever. It won’t.

Barb

posted August 12, 2011 at 8:48 pm

hi therese, well i pray first of all that you will take all that everyone here gives you and know how much you are loved.

when i used to ride my motorcycle (i sold it) before i got on it, i would pray, “Dear God, i pray that you give me the attention and focus i need to make it to my destination. please keep my guardian angel with me at all times and keep me safe. In Jesus’ name, Amen.” somehow i don’t pray it so much now with 4 wheels under me, but i believe God did keep me safe.
you listed several of my favorite prayers, but one that is a favorite that you didn’t list was “The Apostles Creed”. for some reason i don’t think that gets prayed enough, even in Catholic churches.
i do have you on my prayer list, and you will always stay there. know that, and i hope everything that has been said here is of comfort to you, because you are loved. i hope you are recovering from your appendicitis. it takes a while.

and to JillB, we already have someone who took all our pains — Jesus. pray to Him, and He will come to you, to all of you, and me too. a simple prayer, mantra, “Jesus help me” will work. just keep repeating it, and He will be there. trust Him.

Belleo

posted August 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Thanks for the prayers .Lately its been a rough road for me . I even dreamth about it . A road of heavy duty rocks it has been . At times like this it is difficult to remember prayers .It’s a one sentence prayer that vcomes to mind . Jesus , Mary and Joseph help me .

nillawafer

posted August 13, 2011 at 4:09 pm

these are my favorites too!

Jean

posted August 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Many, many thanks for the prayers….they were especially needed today!!

Dolly Cottrell

posted August 15, 2011 at 11:47 am

Prayer is the best antidepressant.

Amy Quinn

posted August 16, 2011 at 1:55 pm

My prayer or mantra :

Live in the present
Let go of the past
Think about the future in terms of what you can control

Lisa Johnson

posted August 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Anne Lamott writes in Traveling Mercies: “The two best prayers I know are ‘Help me, help me, help me,’ and ‘Thank you, thank you, thank you.’”

Lisa Johnson

posted August 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm

A Franciscan Blessing

May God bless you with a restless discomfort at easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships so that you may live deep within your heart.
May God bless you with holy anger at injustice, oppression and exploitation, so that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace.
May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, or the loss of all they cherish, so that you may reach out your hand to them and turn their pain into joy.
May God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done.
And the blessing of God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit be upon you, and all you love and pray for this day and forever more. Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

O God:
Give me the strength to live another day;
Let me not turn coward before its difficulties
or prove recreant to its duties;
Let me not lose faith in other people;
Keep me sweet and sound of heart, in spite of
ingratitude, treachery, or meanness;
Preserve me from minding little stings or
giving them;
Help me to keep my heart clean, and to live so
honestly and fearlessly that no outward
failure can dishearten me or take away the
joy of conscious integrity;
Open wide the eyes of my soul that I may see
good in all things;
Grant me this day some new vision of thy truth;
Inspire me with the spirit of joy and gladness;
and make me the cup of strength to suffering
souls; in the name of the strong Deliverer, our
only Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Terry Zerf

posted August 17, 2011 at 5:16 pm

HI DEAR TERESA, MY NAME IS TERRY (THERESA) AND I CAN ACROSS THIS WEBSIT TONIGHT I BELIEVE BY GODS GRACE.
I CANT GET ENOUGH OF ALL THE BEAUTIFUL PRAYERS…. JUST TONIGHT MY DAUGHTER LEFT FOR VIENNA AND MY SON LAST WEEK FOR PORTUGAL. I HAVE FOUND SUCH LOVE AND KINDNESS HERE TONIGHT SO I HOPE YOU FEEL IT TOO… TKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR WORK. LUV TERRY

Lezlie Ely

posted August 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Of the prayers here, the one fr. St. Francis most resonates – speaks of service.
I think also when we feel and express gratitude, that in itself is not necessarily a prayer, but a communication w/Source. Something as simple as…
Thankyou G-d for all I’ve been given, and all I’ve yet to receive, pls. guide me on the right path.

hen ling

posted August 25, 2011 at 7:50 am

Prayer is a direct communication with the master. What do we consider “effective” prayers? I always had the understanding that when we pray we open our hearts to HIM and either praise HIM for his goodness and mercy and otherwise bring before our petition and our concerns to HIM for help. I believ that when we earnestly pray he will give us the strength and the courage to make the right decisions and the problems we encounter in live most of them were caused by us anyway. HE is a good and loving GOD

Greg

posted August 25, 2011 at 9:10 am

I do a daily meditation exercise and use Thomas Merton’s prayer. Thanks for bringing it to many people’s attention.

Merk

posted August 25, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thank you for making these beautiful prayers available to us.

Like you, I have more than one favorite prayer. My all-time favorites are those found in From a Diary of Private Prayer by John Baille. Though the English is dated, they can be completely understood. They are so comprehensive and thought provoking.

Vickie L. Thomas

posted August 25, 2011 at 11:06 am

I truely enjoyed reading all of the
beautiful prayers posted…I often feel
depressed and discouraged at times, cause
I feel, I’m trying…I thank the Lord above
for all he does/will do/have done for me in my life…I get tired of the struggles, but I know they come with life…I hold on!!!!
Be grateful, and live each second of each day, with a open heart. Thanks for the prayers..God Bless!!!

Chanda frazier

posted August 25, 2011 at 11:52 am

These are very powerful prayers and thank u for them

Maureen Perez

posted August 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm

My Dear Lady,
Please do not be depressed. God wants us all to share our smiles and gifts with each other. Your prayers are wonderful and so are you! I knew most of these prayers as a child going to Catholic school. Now they are familiar and give me comfort! You did this for me, just think what you have done for others!

lu Ann Goebel

posted August 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this article. These prayers were very helpful!

Larry

posted August 25, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Morning Prayer
Dear Lord,
So far I’ve done all right.
I haven’t gossipped,haven’t lost my temper,
haven’t been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or overindulgent.
I’m really glad about that.

But in a few minutes, God,
I’m going to get out of bed.
And from then on,
I’m going to need a lot more help.

RELATED PRAYERS:
Christian, Guidance, Morning, Multifaith,
Strength & Courage

Ruby Taylor

posted August 26, 2011 at 9:21 am

Friend,
Thanks for sharing the beautiful prayers. I myself have experienced feelings of depression due to changes in my life in the last several months but my strength have come from the 23 Psalms. “The Lord is my shepherd,” mean we have a personal relationship with him. This mean the Lord is very close no matter what we are going through. As our shepherd, the Lord will lead and guide us if we allow him. He is not only our guide but also our source for everything we need. His “rod and staff” as I once read are an encouragement and a comfort that let you know God is always there with you to beat your enemies away and keep you out of trouble. Rest in the Shepherd and my prayers are with you.

Eddi

posted August 28, 2012 at 3:33 am

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re depressed. My three sisters and I have a belief that God won’t let us all fall apart at the same time so that we can always help each other! You’ve helped me so much in the past, I hope knowing that you’re in my prayers helps you at this “difficult” time. (Don’t you hate when people who have never had depression say that…I think “horrendous, gut-wrenching, no words in the English language to define it” time is more accurate!)

peggy amati

posted August 28, 2012 at 6:59 am

i belong to an aa step meeting. i never knew
who wrote the serenity prayer or that there
is a longer version. i’m going to read this to tthem today. thanks for the info, terese
peggy boston

Maura

posted August 28, 2012 at 8:04 am

One of my favorite prayers:

Prayer for Generosity (St. Ignatius of Loyola)

Lord, teach me to be generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve;
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do your will

Rev. Mary Rodgs

posted August 28, 2012 at 10:38 am

Check out the song: Prayer of Thomas Merton by Kate Campbell. It has helped me through ,any a rough patches. BTW the woman who said ” my dear do not be depressed obviously has never struggled with depression or she would never say such an unhelpful thing. PLEASE!

Skylark

posted August 28, 2012 at 11:43 am

My favorite when I am feeling lost and lone is one from St Francis de Sales ( who is the patron saint for writers by the way):

Be at Peace
Do not look forward in fear to the changes in life;
rather look to them with full hope as they arise.
God, whose very own you are, will deliver you
from out of them.
He has kept you hitherto,
and He will lead you safely through all things.
and when you cannot stand it,
God will bury you His arms.

Do not fear what may happen tomorrow;
the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you then and everyday.
He will either shield you from suffering,
or will give you unfailing strength to bear it.
Be at peace, and put aside all anxious thoughts and imagination.

Be well in the present moment…and all the rest of time will follow.

Skylark

posted August 28, 2012 at 6:51 pm

When I am feeling lost and alone this prayer of St Frances de Sales (the patron saint of writers)brings me great comfort:

Be at Peace…..
Do not look forward in fear to the changes in life;
rather look to them with full hope as they arise.
God, whose very own you are,
will deliver you from out of them.
He has kept you hitherto,
and He will lead you safely through all things;
and when you cannot stand it,
God will bury you in His arms.

Do not fear what may happen tomorrow;
the same everlasting Father who cares for you today,
will take care of you then and everyday.
He will either shield you from suffering,
or will give you unfailing strength to bear it.
Be at peace…
and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations.

Cindy

posted August 30, 2012 at 10:39 am

This is more of a zen quote, but I use it as a prayer to re-center myself when I get into my addiction of wanting to fix those around me:

The master sees things as they are without trying to control them. She lets things go their own way and resides at the center of the circle.

Love you, Therese! Your life (your wisdom, your honesty, your willingness to be vulnerable) has had a profound impact on mine!

Jennie Ciulla

posted August 30, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Oh Therese, I love all the prayers you posted. Like you, I loved the Memorare that I learned and memorized when I was young and innocent attending a Catholic grade school, high school, and college. All Dominican sisters forming part of me. When i can’t remember the second half of the Memorare I make up the rest of the prayer and ask the Blessed Mother Mary to intercede on behalf. I also grew up with a special devotion to the Mother of Perpetual Help. My most wonderful Irish Grandmother, Delia gave me and all her granddaughters a framed picture of the Mother of Perpetual Help before our weddings. I have mine with me always.
I prefer The Serenity Prayer you posted. It speaks to my heart better than the standard one used by AA and other groups.
You must have been chosen for the special work that you do speaking to thousands I’m sure like no one else has or can. St. Therese and other mystics suffered in their life on earth for a divine reason and I wonder if that might be your calling too- a wonderful fabulous holy mystic in our midst. I read everything you write and hope to meet you one day in person. I’d stand in line to get your autograph in my copy of Beyond Blue. Best book ever!
I think of you often especially when I’m near water here in North Carolina. You are like healing water for me. I forward your honest, moving, insightful writings to anyone and everyone I know that is hurting or in need of a new point of view. I intend to buy enough copies of your book and give them as Christmas gifts this year to everyone on my list. You will be Santa Theresa this year. I’m Irish too, married to an Irish Italian ND double domer from NJ and mother of two sons. I don’t know if I met you at St. Mary’s or ND back then but if I did you had to be a raving beauty surrounded by lots of friends and men. I love to hear about your loving husband and I mention him to mine from time to time. In fact, when I’m not home my husband tells me he reads your book too. I have said many times that you are the best of the best authors for me, bar none. (he was an English major undergrad and an MBA grad)
Believe me when I tell you, Therese Borchard, you are a special gift from God and I think your mission in this life is to continue to bring us all the gift of hope, peace to our hearts and minds, joy, laughter, a new vocabulary that I love, and Grace with a capital G. I found you at exactly the right time in my life and i pray that you will be with us forever as long as I live, so help us God. Bless this woman your faithful loving mystical angel St.Therese Borchard.

Sandy

posted September 7, 2012 at 4:19 am

Therese, Thank you so much for putting yourself out there for us who also suffer with bipolar and depression. I am also at a very hard time and not sleeping well at all and so depressed.
one of my favorite prayers is: “Lord, I give you the fact, that I don’t want to let go of the fact, that I don’t want to let go.”
This prayer gives God permission to change my attitude even if I, myself, don’t want to change it. I give it up to God. He is a gentleman and will not force us against our will. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. He gives us grace for each day. He is our Great Comforter, Healer, the Lifter of our heads, our Father–Abba-Daddy. Our God loves us with an everlasting love and underneath are His everlasting arms. God’s peace is our protection–ask God to guard your mind with His peace. “Perfect peace have those whose minds are stayed on Thee.” Phil 4:6-7 says “Don’t be anxious for anything but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God and the peace that passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” Sometimes I remember to ask God something once and then thank Him that He will handle it each time I think of it throughout the day. This takes my mind off the circumstances and keeps me focused on God–the God who can do the impossible. God loves me and you so much that He sent His Son, Jesus, to be a sacrifice for our sins, Jesus took our sins upon His precious, sinless body on the cruel, horrific cross. He didn’t have to. He did this because He knew that was the only way we could be redeemed. He loves us that much! Praise the Lord! Thank you Jesus.