Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue

The Cracked Pot

posted by Beyond Blue

I love this tale from India, retold here by Mary Dessein. What a beautiful way of thinking about our illness, frustrating life situations, or crosses we bear.

A water-bearer carries two large pots on a yoke across his shoulders up the hill from the river to his master’s house each day. One has a crack and leaks half its water out each day before arriving at the house. The other pot is perfect and always delivered a full portion of water after the long walk from the river.

Finally, after years of arriving half-empty and feeling guilty, the cracked pot apologized to the water-bearer. It was miserable. “I’m sorry that I couldn’t accomplish what the perfect pot did.”

The water-bearer says, “What do you have to apologize for?”

“After all this time, I still only deliver half my load of water. I make more work for you because of my flaw.”

The man smiled and told the pot. “Take note of all the lovely flowers growing on the side of the path where I carried you. The flowers grew so lovely because of the water you leaked. There are no flowers on the perfect pot’s side.”

Pingback: THE CRACK POT « janehanley

Nancy

posted May 14, 2012 at 11:48 am

Love this! Thank you for your posts, Therese. Always mean so much!

Martha Packett

posted May 15, 2012 at 5:41 am

This story has always made me feel better about myself, every time I read it. I love it. I think, maybe, I have left flowers some where, despite my flaws

Jean

posted May 15, 2012 at 8:45 am

Agreeing with Martha. When I read this story, I try not to feel like such a complete and total mess-up. Thanks!

Sam Gyura

posted May 15, 2012 at 8:52 am

I love ya

Rick Reynolds

posted May 15, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thank you, Therese!

Tom

posted May 15, 2012 at 11:14 am

Well at least we know this water-bearer wasn’t OCD. I mean, come on. His upper-left arm & shoulder must be so much stronger than his right by now! From the picture it looks like there might be some kind of precipice on the left side of the path, in which case the water-bearer can be excused for not alternating water-jugs from day to day, thereby contributing to the germination of flowers on BOTH sides of the path. :^)

I know this is besides the point, but I can’t seem to refrain from hapless ruminations (… aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!)

meg

posted May 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm

thanks for the encouragement, but I don’t see any flowers…and it’s been 20 years.

Jocelyn

posted May 17, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Your blog was referred to me by one of my blog readers, and I’m so glad I “came to visit”. So many insights, placed in exactly the correct context. Wonderful. Thank you. I’ll be back often.

suedanser

posted May 28, 2012 at 12:54 pm

thx for this blog Teresa.
made me smile. i hope this is true.
god bless, hugs & prayers